CDIH

Full Version: 20 truths about music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
1. Nobody likes Tom Waits. People just say they do because they think it makes them sound hip and intellectual.

2. Say what you want about Cheap Trick, "Surrender" is still a cool song.

3. The Donnas are the Ramones without the sense of humor or irony.

4. Women only say they like Janis Joplin because they think it makes them seem rebellious. None of them actually own a Joplin CD.

5. The last 10 years of country and western is really just pop music with a twangy accent.

6. For the record, Billy Joel sucks! He write pablum puking crap pop music.

7. Sting,Bono,and Streisand have all made the same mistake. They think fame equals intelligence.

8. If Kylie,Britney,Madonna,Shania,and Gwen didnt have great bodies they would be waiting tables.

9. Elvis Costello is the best rock lyricist ever. period.

10. QOTSA couldn't get arrested before Dave Grohl, and now that he is gone will return to that status.

11. Punk ended 15 years ago. let it go.posers!

12. Run DMC's "King of Rock", was the pinnacle of rap.

13. If it wasnt for mullet headed jersey teens and thier like there would be no heavy metal. You hate your parents and are bored, we get it.

14.If you are in a bar and play any track from "Bat Out of Hell" on the jukebox you are a fucking loser and should be beaten to death with your own limbs.

15. Same is true if you yell, "get fucked, get laid!!" when listening to "Mony Mony" by Tommy James and the Shondells.

16. Forget the age and the crappy new music, Springsteen and the Stones are still give the best arena shows.

17. WFUV is New York's best music station by far.

18. Anyone who thinks Eddie Van Halen belongs in a list of the top 20 guitar players knows nothing about guitars or how to play them.

19. Prince is the best studio producer ever.

20. Phish sucks.
Quote:18. Anyone who thinks Eddie Van Halen belongs in a list of the top 20 guitar players knows nothing about guitars or how to play them.
randy rhodes owns (owned) eddie van halen.
... I don't think I'm allowed to respond to music threads...
Quote:2. Say what you want about Cheap Trick, "Surrender" is still a cool song.
that is a great song
Quote:13. If it wasnt for mullet headed jersey teens and thier like there would be no heavy metal. You hate your parents and are bored, we get it.
hating parents is punk, not metal
Quote:11. Punk ended 15 years ago. let it go.posers!
Against Me! has brought punk back.

where did you cut and paste this from?
:crackhead: gee thanks for sharing

Radio is so unimaginitive, it all sounds the same
Elvis Costello sucks.

QOTSA may not be as mainstream or popular without Grohl but their previous albums are just as good if not better without Grohl.

The pinnacle of Rap music was Biggie's "Ready To Die" album.
You forgot one.

21. Arpi thinks music is what they play during Rockaway Bedding radio spots.
Quote:Punk ended 15 years ago
one generation is the same as the next, no reason angry kids can't like what angry liked back then

Where is WBK with the Ass Tulip Award for the night? :fart:
the day has just started and he officially has the ass tulip of the day award already

for all 24 hours
Quote:QOTSA may not be as mainstream or popular without Grohl but their previous albums are just as good if not better without Grohl.
i made no comment about the quality of thier music.

for the rest of you, if you disagree with any of my points then it proves you know nothing about music and should stick to your Journey albums.
Quote:16. Forget the age and the crappy new music, Springsteen and the Stones are still give the best arena shows

ok Froy Rolleyes

Quote:2. Say what you want about Cheap Trick, "Surrender" is still a cool song

Cheap Trick is a cool band - period.

Quote:18. Anyone who thinks Eddie Van Halen belongs in a list of the top 20 guitar players knows nothing about guitars or how to play them.

while he's not in my top 5, he's definitely in the top 20. Where did you get this, from an AARP website?
22. Lou Reed's face is melting
Where the fuck did you find this??? Tom Waits sux..true...Costello sux...I had a mullet and loved heavy metal but I never hated my parents....Punk today is a lame clone of the good stuff..
As for Billy Joel...he must have done something right to have a musical made out of his songs. I've listened to FUV and I am not impressed. FUV is for those who found Scelsa interesting. The pinnacle of Rap was the Chronic...and then it went pretty much downhill from there. Bat out of Hell is one of the greatest albums EVER made. You just don't understand the genius of Jim Steinman. Surrender is a great song....Van Halen, for as overrated as you think he may be has influenced a generation of rock n roll/heavy metal guitar players. Country flat out sux....Prince is more gooder as a performer and musician. Janis Joplin was a horrible singer...just screeches....and it's even funnier when people try to emulate her....and Phish still sux.
Quote:17. WFUV is New York's best music station by far.

true. cause they play ani and ooodles of other good stuff, that no one else would ever play. :thumbs-up:

Listen, I hate Eddie as much as the next guy and think people give him far too much credit, but name me 20 guitarists better than him

Quote:12. Run DMC's "King of Rock", was the pinnacle of rap.

You need to seek some professional help

Quote:16. Forget the age and the crappy new music, Springsteen and the Stones are still give the best arena shows.

Hi Froy, when did you start posting here? Springsteen is an overrated nobody who can't sing.

Quote:The pinnacle of Rap music was Biggie's "Ready To Die" album.

No

Quote:for the rest of you, if you disagree with any of my points then it proves you know nothing about music and should stick to your Journey albums.

Rolleyes
Gomez, what would you say was the pinnacle of Rap?
I don't think there is one

Yes Biggie was amazing (even if I find him terriblly overrated, if he hadn't died he wouldn't be half as famous as he is now)

But you can't forget Pac, he could be the pinnacle, he wrote what is considered the quintessential battle song, all others are measured against Hit Em Up, because it wasn't written for fun, it was a man destroying another man with his lyrics, but Pac could just as easily flip the switch and write a song dedicated to his mother, or a song about the hardships of growing up in his neighborhood, but then go right into fucking bitches and hoes.

But you can't forget Nas either, yes Biggie and Pac influenced most of the rappers today, but Illmatic took what Biggie was doing to a whole different level, it made lyrics even more important, you couldn't just write a killer hook, you had to come with metaphors, similies, you had to flip up your flow, you had to be able to know more than 10 words.

You can go on and on, I don't think there is a pinnacle of rap, because the next generation keeps improving what the previous generation did, Run DMC changed the game by coming from the streets, they were'nt flashy disco leftovers who rapped, they came from the streets, they dressed like people from the streets, but compared to today, their lyrics can't really compare to say Nas or Canibus or Eminem.

That's why Rap hasn't died out like so many people predicted it would, it kept improving upon itself, which is why I say there is no pinnacle.
Someone needs to redefine the word "truth" for this thread to have any meaning.
I agree completely. Run DMC were pioneers but definitely NOT the pinnacle of Rap. I think you have to throw Jay-Z in there among the great lyricists as well. Dre, RZA, Timbaland, and Premiere I would say are the top 4 producers ever.
It's what makes Rap exciting, Eminem is the product of Pac and Biggie, he has the ability to tell a story through his lyrics like Pac, but he can flip up his flow and rhyme words similar to Biggie, but he adds the twist of writing humorous songs, so now the next generation is going to improve upon that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5