CDIH

Full Version: Here's a question for all you scientists - OK, so it's not computer related.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I routinely keep a bottle of seltzer in my car. Now, from time to time, when it's very cold, I've noticed that before I open the bottle on a cold day, it will be sloshing around clear and fully in a liquid state. However, when I open it, within 2 seconds, it will turn to slush from top to bottom. It's actually really cool to watch, but I don't understand the physics of this. I do recall that water can exist in all three of it's natural states (liquid, solid and gas) at a certain temperature, but that's a very slight remembrance from high school.

Can any of you eggheads ‘splain it to me or direct me to a website that answers these questions?

Edited By Buttmunch on 1045149133
:thumbs-up: cool
Doesn't seltzer have compressed gas of some sort, like CO<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>2</span>? And why would it turn to slush and not ice?
Seltzer/Salsa
Would you like some seltzer?

Yes, I would like some salsa.
New Airport Security?? maybe I shouldn't open it at work .... :clueless:
It doesnt completely turn to ice, i figure, because the differential of pressure isnt that much that it would be keeping the entirety of the seltzer in liquid form. Sounds scientifically reasonable, but I've never seen it myself, it sounds cool as all Hell. I'll have to try that. :thumbs-up:
seltzer has salt and CO2 in it. when you open the bottle the gasses are released and it starts to freeze but the salt and the movement from the bubbles do not allow it to "quick freeze"

that's my guess

Edited By LZMF1 on 1045270990
It sucks much worse when it happens to a beer.
I got science and a hot nekkid chick.....this place ROCKS!!!!!!!!
Quote:It sucks much worse when it happens to a beer.
:thumbs-up:
ok, it's club soda with the sodium in it.......seltzer clearly says "no sodium" on the label.