CDIH

Full Version: Jirov vs. Toney - lGreat fight last night on HBO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did anyone catch this great fight???

Most felt Jirov would take out Toney. And perhaps that would have happened. Jirov ruled the first two rounds, doing what he willed...untill he hit Toney with a blatant low blow directly into the jewels. This seemed to piss off Toney, and ever since that 2nd round took it back to Jirov. The fight went the full 12 rounds. Jirov, though he threw many punches through-out the fight, Toney made him mis alot. And Toney, who counter-punched and seemed to get stronger as the fight wore on. There were times either one looked hurt, but neither could capitalize. 12th round, Toney has Jirov hurt...but he's so out of gas, he can't seem to finally take him out, then at about 12 seconds left, he hits him with a great combo, and down Jirov goes. He gets up, and then it goes to the cards: Unanimous decision for Toney. An amazing fight, an amazing win.

Some were shocked that the score was so in favor with Toney...but if you watch the fight closely, Toney, after the 2nd round, really dictated the match, his counterpunches were direct hits...Jirov was more active, but missed alot, or hit blocked partially. One hopes for a rematch, fight of the year.

Larry Merchent was not on the announcing team, and the announcing team suffered for it, b/c he would have made the keen observations about Toney's better shots, and Jirov's misses...b/c the announce team was shocked by the outcome.

Edited By Gooch on 1051459018
i despise larry merchant. he says every word like its is a pearl faling from the mouth of god. also when calling the fight he talks about the favorite as if he can do no wrong and the underdog as being so overlymatched as to seem pathetic. until there is an upset and then he talks as if he was for the underdog all along. merchant sucks. the only good part is when foreman makes him look stupid.
i will never forgive gonzy for not telling me his take on this boxing match. :36: