CDIH

Full Version: Ponder if you will... - Media-less media
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the influx of large storage in home computers as well as PVRs (personal video recorders), what would the repercussions of a media-less society be?

Imagine if you will, a world without DVDs, CDs, or VHS or cassette tapes... but rather all media stored, distributed and used in a digital format.

It's an awfully green prospect by eliminating the useless packaging and the scratch/crack proned media, imagine the amount of plastic production that could be done away with.

I imagine this course is inevitable, but are you ready for it today? Do you, like me, enjoy the packaging of a new DVD or console game? What if it would reduce the cost of the content by 25%?
How much time do we have to complete our essays?

I have shit to do.
...what do you back everything up with?
I'm getting Jack to write mine
Quote:...what do you back everything up with?
Ideally, everything would reside on redundant servers... always available for download.

Let's not forget, Tb/s (Terabit per second) switches do exist. They're just too expensive at this point to be viable. Soon enough, this will change.
NERD ALERT!
Ok, I guess I'll go ponder this...
Quote:NERD ALERT!
...and in the Uber Geek forum? Go figure...
I hear Lucas films is producing something along these lines. All his films are to be sent to digital theaters via satellite (or however they intend to do it) upon release.
Digital media is still media. Just in larger format.
You're right. I should've said intangible media.

Your band would be media-less media. :21:
No that would be incindiary media! :5: :8: :5:
But wouldn't you waste a lot of power, keeping all the servers in the world running, just in case some guy wanted to watch Hudson Hawk?
Put your commodore 64 back in the closet.
No, no, no, I want a serious retort.
there's a happy medium somewhere...
I think its time to get back to nature. Theres too much information out there to injest that its overwhelming and unnecessary. Our lives were not meant to be spent constantly viewing cathode rays on a screen. I say less media, more reality.
What about reality media?
What is reality media?
Quote:Our lives were not meant to be spent constantly viewing cathode rays on a screen.

They still use cathodes?
Pages: 1 2