CDIH

Full Version: Running Backs vs. Wide Receivers - Who is more valuable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was always in the mindset that i need to draft as many RBs early in my drafts as possible. After taking a harder look at the numbers I was surprised to find a much greater depth talent-wise at RB than at WR. Check this out...

2002 Fantasy Points (using TDs, Yds, Recpts, Rush Yards for stats)

RBs
------
Holmes 441
LT 384
Ricky 369
Garner 346
Tiki 332
Shaun 329
Portis 320
Deuce 300
Henry 315
Faulk 287
Green 273

WR
---
Harrison 380
Hines 332
Terrell 318
Moss 290
Moulds 286
Price 270

Thats a much shorter list. Seems to me that you might want to snatch up those WRs earlier before the quality goes way down.

Any thoughts?
Pick a black one.
Racism is funny....in moderation
If you don't grab two RB in the first two rounds, you'll have to pick someone who gets you no points. The difference between the top 15 RB and the rest of the RB is massive, and after the top 25, they pretty much don't get you any points. The top RBs might get you 2000 total yards and 15+ TDs. If you don't get two solid guys, you'll be forced to start a guy who might get you a few hundred yards and a handful of TDs.

The top WRs might give you 1500 yards and 12 TDs. If you miss out on the top guys, you can still easily grab a WR who will get you 800 yards and a handful of TDs even after the draft is completed.

Because of this (and another reason why you should pick RBs first) everyone else will be picking RBs before WR and QB so you can wait for them.

Especially this year when after Vick, McNabb, and Culpepper there are 10 QBs who could put up the same amount of points, you can wait REAL late to get a QB.

The only draft I did so far, I waited until the 8th round to draft a QB (in a 14 team league) and still got McNair and Ramsey, and waited for rounds 3 and 4 to get my WR and still got Burress and Toomer.
running backs put up their stats more consistently, so in a head to head league it helps week in and week out
Yeah, what Galt said.

Drafting a guy like Harrison or Owens early does give you an edge in the WR department, but really, waiting til later for a RB will get you a guy who will score very little for you, whereas waiting til the middle rounds for a WR will still get you some production. Would you rather have, say, LT and Donte Stallworth, or Harrison and Stacey Mack?

Every team starts only one halfback, while they start two WR's. It's like comparing the stats of the top catcher in baseball to a OF with similar stats. Position scarcity plays a role.
I disagree. Look at the stats I posted. There are more RBs putting up big points than WRs. The falloff at WR is much more dramatic. If anything, the fact that people are so wrapped up in thinking you need to get your RBs early is forcing you to pick one, not the fact that there really are few good running backs, quite the contrary, if you look at the numbers there are more good RBs than there are good WR.

Lets look at the top overall players by fantasy points using the standard scoring system:

Re2P - Receiving Two-point Conversion 1
ReTD - Receiving TD 6
ReYd - Receiving Yards 0+ ReYds = .5 points for every 5 ReYds

Recpt - Reception 5+ Recpts = 1 point for every 1 Recpt
Plus a 1 point bonus @ 10+ Recpt

Ru2P - Rushing Two-point Conversion 1
RuTD - Rushing TD 6
RuYd - Rushing Yards 0+ RuYds = .5 points for every 5 RuYds
Plus a 2 point bonus @ 100+ RuYd

Going by 2002 stats....
------
RB Holmes 441
RB LT 384
WR Harrison 380
RB Ricky 369
RB Garner 346
RB Tiki 332
WR Hines 332
RB Shaun 329
RB Portis 320
WR Terrell 318
RB Henry 315
RB Deuce 300
WR Moss 290
RB Faulk 287
WR Moulds 286
RB Green 273
WR Price 270

How actual average drafts are going... (according to ESPN's Fantasy Leagues)
1. RB Ricky
2. RB LT
3. RB Priest
4. RB Portis
5. RB Faulk
6. RB Deuce
7. RB Shaun
8. QB Vick
9. WR Harrison
10. RB Ahman
11. WR Owens
12. RB Henry
13. RB Edgerrin
14. QB McNabb
15. WR Moss
16. RB Taylor
17. Dillon RB
18. Culpepper QB
19. Barber RB
20. Lewis RB
21. Moulds WR
22. Garner RB
23. Shockey TE
24. Manning QB
25. Burress WR
26. Davis RB
27. Boston WR
28. Willie Green RB
29. George RB
30. Tony G TE

People are enamored with RBs which causes the need to grab one, even though the wealth of talent and points are there and not at WR. I think the guy who snaps up the best WR early is going to be in a good position if he can do so and still get a top RB in the early second round, which is entirely possible considering how many good ones there really are.

I think the tough question is around the 8th pick. Do you take Ahman, Harrison or Vick? I think its Harrison, and then take Henry or Dillon on the 2nd pick.

Edited By Keyser Soze on 1060644862