CDIH

Full Version: Gagne wins the cy young
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While his stats are amazing I dunno about him beating out schmidt and prior. Both teams made it to the playoffs and the cubs were oh so close to the series. I wanted to make the a rod comparison but I do believe gagne secured more wins for the dodgers but does it matter if you are in 3rd place or 5th or 6th? If you don't win then you don't win.

The giants pitching staff isnt all that great and I dont know if they do this well without schmidt. The cubs though definetly don't make the playoffs without prior, wood is integral but this is priors 1st full season with them and they finally get a birth.
He was better than Eckersley when he won it.

In fact, he probably had the best closer year ever. (talking out of my ass. I haven't looked at any numbers)
Galt Wrote:He was better than Eckersley when he won it.

In fact, he probably had the best closer year ever. (talking out of my ass. I haven't looked at any numbers)
Agreed. Best closing year ever. He only blew 1 save all year, and that was in the all-star game. On your point GS, the award doesn't go to the most valuable pitcher to their team, it goes to the best pitcher in the league for a certain year and he was hands down the best pitcher this year.

Dinner party fact....He is the first pitcher with a losing record to win the award. He went 2-3 this year
winningest pitcher to never win a Cy Young award: Cy Young!!!!!!
Galt Wrote:winningest pitcher to never win a Cy Young award: Cy Young!!!!!!
Cy Young won 511 games in his big league career, but Satchel Paige is estimated to have won 1500 games in his baseball career. I think that makes him the winningest pitcher to never win a cy young.
55-55 in saves. nuff said.
Black people always inflate their numbers.

"Million" Man March
Slavery
Galt Wrote:Black people always inflate their numbers.

"Million" Man March
Slavery
'Nuff said
1500?? they worked him like a slave.
Paige was also supposedly like 60 when he pitched in the majors.

I don't trust those "people" to count correctly.
well the negro league players also played much more games in a year than the MLB players, which were playing 154 games around that time.

Josh Gibson is also "estimated" to have hit 948 home runs in his career. But factor in the word "estimated" because they kept no records in the negro leagues it was all done mostly by the players themselves or fans. It also includes a lot of legend and lore, especially back in the 30's and 40's when players were gods to the public.
GonzoStyle Wrote:well the negro league players also played much more games in a year than the MLB players, which were playing 154 games around that time.

Josh Gibson is also "estimated" to have hit 948 home runs in his career. But factor in the word "estimated" because they kept no records in the negro leagues it was all done mostly by the players themselves or fans. It also includes a lot of legend and lore, especially back in the 30's and 40's when players were gods to the public.
You like Hudson Hawk and think Gagne shouldn't have won the cy young. Your opinions mean nothing to me anymore
I feel I am being baited into another pointless argument. I can't wait to see galt :10:
Faceman Wrote:
GonzoStyle Wrote:well the negro league players also played much more games in a year than the MLB players, which were playing 154 games around that time.

You like Hudson Hawk and think Gagne shouldn't have won the cy young. Your opinions mean nothing to me anymore
I don't think he shouldn't have won, I was just playing advocate on both sides in order to induce a discussion.

In my honest opinion there shouldnt have even been a vote, gagne shoulda just been handed it before the playoffs even started.

Further more my statement which you quoted wasn't an opinion it's fact. I have read much about the Negro leagues and find it sad that we will never trully know how great the MLB players trully were because of segragation in the sport. But in the off season MLB Players did Play the Negro League players, they played upwards of 40 times over the years that were recorded and The Negro Leagues won more than they lost.
Quote:gagne shoulda just been handed it before the playoffs even started.
they should just give all the awards before the playoffs even start because then the public forgets the voting is done before then

Edited By HedCold on 1068765563
trachsel should have won.
Black Lazerus Wrote:I feel I am being baited into another pointless argument. I can't wait to see galt :10:
we're going to go to a country club that won't let the likes of you through the door unless you are wearing a vest and a nametag.
Galt Wrote:
Black Lazerus Wrote:I feel I am being baited into another pointless argument. I can't wait to see galt :10:
we're going to go to a country club that won't let the likes of you through the door unless you are wearing a vest and a nametag.
Wrong Gonzo Is a hooked nosed Jew he can't come either if you go to a country club.
Yeah, because no jews have money enough to golf
seriously, come on now.