CDIH

Full Version: Tivo/ Sattelite question?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so being that I have a single line I can't tape and watch something different. I can only record one show and not be able changle the channel. Does anybody have this Dual LNB or Multi-switch? Or is there another way to go about this? Help
at home i have the multi switch set up so i can have up to 4 recievers. you can buy it at radioshack, and you put the 2 lines from the satelite into that then spread the new 4 wires whereever you want. if you tell the people at radioshack what you want to do they'll show you what you need.
i don't have tivo though, but for the dual line tivo, do you need to put in 2 access cards?
nope, just the one access card in the tivo receiver.

So I have a single satelite, all I have to do is by the switch and with the one line coming in, and the single LNB I can split the one line?
you only have one line coming from your satelite? if you want to go on your roof you can add another one.
but yea what you said should be all you have to do i think
I hope so, I really don't feel like buying a whole new dish. Always a god damn problem. Thanks
only need one dish, you can only split it from the special device for splitting dish signals, you can just split it with a $5 splitter you get at radio shack from the line in the house. which is a real pain in the ass for me cause i already have 4 roommates splitting the signal into 6 different Tvs. i need to buy a massive splitter now just to get a 7th line.
It all depends on the LNB that is on the dish. If it's a single LNB with one wire, it will only work with one reciever. Period. It doesn't matter what kind of splitter/ switch you have because the DTV signal is spread across 2 channels and if your using signal A with the first reciever, the second reciever will only be able to surf the A signal. The channels on the B signal will be all blacked out.

Buy a Dual LNB at radio shack and replace it with the one mounted on the dish. Then run a second wire to the tivo reciever thus having 2 signals. And if you have more recievers in the house you will have to buy a Multiswitch and wire everything through that.
so bottom line is in order for me to tape something and watch something else using tivo, I need a dual LNB and then run it through a multi-switch?

I have 2 lines coming in, one for the bedroom and the living room. But I have only a single LNB. Wouldn't that mean I have a mulit-switch and I could just run another wire directly to my tivo from the dish?
It could be that you already have a dual LNB and no multiswitch. Is your dish round or oval? As far as I remember when I set this up 2 years ago, splitters didn't work for me and won't work with single LNBs.