CDIH

Full Version: Selling out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I found this strip recently and I think it comments well on how people are obsessed with saying that bands sell out because they get on TV or become mainstream

[Image: 02-25-02.jpg]

I'm not a big fan of Green Day or Blink 182 (I like various songs by them), but I wouldn't look down upon people who liked them because its too mainstream or something. People should stop worrying about whether liking a band is cool or not and just listen to what they like. Comments?
The thing is after all the 70s hype of Punk taking over the big record companies couldn't give a shit about it. So punk went underground and it became a facet in which they would be self-reliant. So in the 90s with Punk "hitting it big" it felt like a betrayal to many in the punk scene.

And Green Day and Blink always sucked anyways.
AdolescentMasturbator Wrote:The thing is after all the 70s hype of Punk taking over the big record companies couldn't give a shit about it. So punk went underground and it became a facet in which they would be self-reliant. So in the 90s with Punk "hitting it big" it felt like a betrayal to many in the punk scene.

And Green Day and Blink always sucked anyways.
Well the writer of the strip points out that a lot of kids these days get into punk by listening to mainstream "punk" artists like green day and then get into more of the independent and underground stuff. So in that respect, the mainstream music serves a purpose. I think your taking the music too seriously if you think some bands betrayed a genre. It's not war, its music, and it should be more inclusive.
Bah everyone knows Punk died when Black Flag broke up.
AdolescentMasturbator Wrote:Bah everyone knows Punk died when Black Flag broke up.
yea well I'm not limiting this to punk, that's just the basis of the strip. I'm saying a lot of people scream bloody murder when they see their favorite bands (that they think they discovered) on MTV, because god forbid they wanna try and earn a living. It's stupid, lighten up and enjoy the music.

Edited By The Sleeper on Mar. 23 2002 at 9:12
I dont hate Green Day and Blink because they "Sold-Out", I hate them because they made a conscious decision to alter the type of music they make in a attempt to sell more records. Short, Radio-friendly songs, almost always have to do with Love. If you look at Green Day's last album, it SOUNDS like a Pop Album.

To quote somebody whose name escapes me now:
"Music ceases to be 'Punk' when it Fails to offend at least 80% of the Audience."
I thought we would be talking about metallica here.
Quote:I dont hate Green Day and Blink because they "Sold-Out", I hate them because they made a conscious decision to alter the type of music they make in a attempt to sell more records.
Isn't what you just described the defenition of selling out? I understand if you don't like it when punk bands become soft, but Blink and Green Day weren't all that hard or offensive to begin with. They have just evolved and became more radio-friendly, and some people like that. And are you the type of person who would look down on someone else because they like those bands or consider them to be good punk music? Think hard about that one.
The Sleeper Wrote:And are you the type of person who would look down on someone else because they like those bands or consider them to be good punk music? Think hard about that one.
YEAH BECAUSE THEY ARE A BUNCH OF POSERS!!!

ANARCHY IN THE U.K. !!!

(SLC Punk Rocks..)
A lot of people like Britney Spears too should we not make fun of them?
AdolescentMasturbator Wrote:A lot of people like Britney Spears too should we not make fun of them?
Yea, she sold out when she got implants.
The Sleeper Wrote:Yea, she sold out when she got implants.
And her new album caters to 8 year olds instead of 10 year olds. What a sell out.
this is a subject i fight with people about all the time... is there such a thing as sellling out? i mean blink 182 disnt really sell out the punk scene.. they were never punk! and dont let some 13 yr old faggot with blue hair spray in his hair tell you otherwise.... and i think that goes with most bands that are "mainstream punk" im not saying there are terrible bands.. they are just not punk... and are idiots for calling themselves that.. so did punk sell out? not if you really know what punk is..
The music you choose to listen to should not be of any concern to anyone but yourself. If a particular song happens to speak to you or effect you in a way that make you happy, sad, or any number of emotions thats all that really maters. The politics of genres and conforming to ONE style because doing otherwise is would be conceived as 'selling out' is ridiculous.
Quote:I
met a boy
wearing vans
501s
and a dope beast tee
nipple rings
new tattoos
that claimed that he
was OGT

Well, as for Metallica et al. heavy/angry musicians, it is hard to produce emotional based music, based on strong "negative" emotions when you suddenly find yourself with a belly full of food and a van that works.

As for punk, punk is (IMHO) so much more that a series of fastly played chords. Green Day was not Punk to me. I could understand them and they did not seem to be politically minded at all.
I hate Green Day and Blink, but I don't give a shit about what people listen to. Everyone has their own..you know?
<center>Reel Big Fish - Sell Out

well, i know you can't work in fast food all your life
but don't sign that paper tonight, she said, but it's too late.
i don't remember what i read, i don't remember what they
said, i guess it doesn't matter, i guess it doesn't matter
anymore - you're gonna go to the record store
you're gonna give'em all your money
radio plays what they want you to hear
they tell me it's cool but i just don't believe it...

sell out, with me oh yea, sell out, with me tonight
record company's gonna give me lots of money and
everything's gonna be. (all right)

no more flippin' burgers puttin' on my silly hat you know
i don't want that no more, i didn't ask when we'd
get paid, i quit my day job anyway, i guess it
doesn't matter, i guess it doesn't matter anymore
you're gonna go to the record store, you're gonna
give'em all your money, radio plays what they want
you to hear, they tell me it's cool, but i just don't
believe it
sell out, with me oh yea, sell out
with me tonight, the record company's gonna give me
lots of money and everything's gonna be.

i don't think it'll be so bad
i know it won't be so bad
cause the man said 'that's the way it is' and the
man said 'it don't get better than this' no no no

so i signed on to the record company, they say they're
gonna give me lot's of money, if i play what they want you to hear
they tell me it's cool, and i sure believe it... </center>
i just started singing that song when i saw the thread :bouncer:
bah, there's a better song by Minor Threat ("Cashing in")about this, but the lyrics aren't available anywhere.
The Sleeper Wrote:bah, there's a better song by Minor Threat ("Cashing in")about this, but the lyrics aren't available anywhere.
Hey Sleeper, don't ya think quotes AND parenthesis are a bit, well, I dunno... OVERKILL?

Touché :bouncer:
Pages: 1 2