CDIH

Full Version: Best closer in baseball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<a href=http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6205/gamelog target=blank>[Image: 6205.jpg] (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)}" onclick="javascript:if(this.width > (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)} else {this.width = (this.width*2)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'></a>
meh
He's had 2 bad innings all year, in which he gave up his only 5 runs of the year. hasn't given up a run since June 6. Since then:

Nathan:
0-0, 18 SV, 0 BS
26 IP
O ER
14 H
6 BB
32 K
0.00 ERA
.77 WHIP

Gagne:
2-1, 21 SV, 1 BS
32.2 IP
5 ER
20 H
6 BB
47 K
1.38 ERA
.80 WHIP

Rivera:
3-0, 15 SV, 2 BS
26 IP
6 ER
22 H
5 BB
22 K
2.08 ERA
1.04 WHIP

Herges:
3-3, 7 SV, 4 BS
25.1 IP
15 ER
39 H
7 BB
14 K
5.33 ERA
1.82 WHIP
lets see what he does in the playoffs
Oh, I agree. Even though he blew 2 games which could have given the Yankees 6 straight championships, he's still the best postseason reliever ever.

This is all based on purely a fantasy standpoint.
Francisco Cordero
Francisco Rodriguez (not a closer, but so what)
HE HASN'T GIVEN UP A RUN SINCE JUNE 6TH.

Cordero and Rodriguez have been great, but ... June 6th!!!
tell me he's a starter who hasnt' given up a run in two months and I'll be impressed. He's pitched like 25 innings
It's 26 innings. And who cares? I said he's the best closer, not starter. Besides, how many starters have thrown 26 consecutive scoreless innings??
Orel Hershiser!
Texas' pitching coach has been a better closer this year than Nathan. No arguing that.
Nathan is good. I'd still take Gagne over Nathan. Gagne had just as good a run earlier in the year as Nathan's had since June. And if I were starting a team, I'd take Francisco Rodriguez over both of them.
2 weeks ago I'd agree with you on Gagne. But LA has traded their best 2 setup guys for Gagne in Martin and Mota. Gagne's already pitched a 3-inning game since then, yeah he got the win, but his 2 main setup guys are now Dreifort and Dirty Sanchez, the former cost them a game yesteray and it won't be the last time that happens.

Best case scenario for LA: Make the playoffs for the first time in 7 years, with Gagne having to pitch several 2-3 inning games during the pennant race, due to the depletion of their bullpen. He blows a save or 2 in the postseason and gets a bad wrap of a tremendous reg. season closer that can't step up in October.

Minnesota's made no changes to their very solid mid relief (Romero/Fultz/Rincon) which should mean no signifigant change to Nathan's value.
NIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NATHAN IS GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the most impressive pitcher in Minnesota since the beginning of June is Julio Santana, not Nathan.
Who the fuck is Julio Santana
ANYWAY, Brian Radke has been pretty good as well, but he hasn't been the best closer in baseball..
Johan. Sorry. I typed fast. Julio is a different pitcher.

any-hoo, since June 4th: Santana:

9-2
1.69 ERA
.65 WHIP
91 1/3 innings
122 strike outs
19 walks.

Best pitcher in baseball.
Schmidt would be close to that if not for his disaster against SD.. Mulder has had a couple of those too.. Yeah, Santana has been very impressive, but he's still not a closer.
so what you're saying now is that this is a discussion only based on the merit of designated "closers"?

This should have been made more clear in the topic title.
Pages: 1 2