CDIH

Full Version: To Be A Mets Fan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To Be a MetsFan
Tony Smolenski

Today is going to be a terrible day in the media for the New York Mets - as Devil Rays SP Scott Kazmir, a former Mets number one draft pick, had a decent debut Monday, while the Metropolitans got trounced. A terrible day in the midst of another lost season filled with injuries, poor management and embarrassing fielding.

I was born into this team, thanks to my grandfather, a hold over from the days of the Brooklyn Dodgers, and my Dad, a Mets fan from day one. I saw my first MLB game at Shea Stadium at the age of six, and also saw my first Mets loss the same day. Wally Backman was my first baseball idol. Mookie showed me miracles were possible. Jessie Orosco afforded me my first taste of Champaign.

I was devastated when Dwight Gooden was first suspended, and doubly so with Strawberry?s antics. I was furious when Dykstra was dealt away.

I wanted my own?Conehead?. I, too, thought Kevin McReynolds was underrated, and was convinced that Gregg Jeffries was bound for the Hall of Fame.

Kirk Gibson brokemy heart.

Frank Viola disappointed me, and Vince Coleman confounded me.

I bought several Paul Wilson rookie cards. Cut class to see Rey Ordonez?s debut, and compared Todd Hundley to Yogi Berra.

I was at Mike Piazza'sfirst home game. I searched for months for a Rick Reed jersey, and thought that the only music for a closer to enter a game to was "Johnny Be Good."

Bobby Valentine made me smile.

Bobby Jones made me think twice - wait Bobby M. Jones?

Bobby Bonilla made me wince.

I learned to spell 'Edgardo', loved it when the ?Mojo? was on the rise and broke the lamp in my first apartment during a "grand slam single" celebration.

I've cheered Masato Yoshii, Nomo, Komyiama, Tsyoshi Shinjo and Kaz Matsui; rooted for BennyAgbayani, Tyler Yates and Sid Fernandez; second-guessed Bamburger, Green and even Davey Johnson.

I've listened to ?Murph?, Gary Cohen, Gary Thorne, Ralph Kiner, Tim McCarver and - god help me - even Fran Healy.

I've been to Irish night and bat day. I own a Homerun Apple Clock, a Piazza pencil holder and a Keith Miller rookie card.

I've attended playoff games, tragic doubleheaders against the D-backs and exhibitions against the Orioles.

I've seen Juan Samuel flame out, Jeff Kent ask out, and too many players with a man on third and less than two outs pop out.

But through it all I am a Mets fan, win or lose.

Through Seaver for Zachary.

Bentiez facing Jordan.

Mackey Sasser's double pump while trying to throw out a runner.

Ricky and Bobby playing cards.

Hair cuts in the clubhouse.

Bleach on reporters.

Matsui fielding grounders.

Kenny Rogers missing the strike zone.

No matter what, I am a Mets fan.

So let Kazmir have a great career. Let people all around me declare that the sky is falling, and that "the Mets will never win with Wilpon as the owner".

Either way, I am a Mets fan.

Today may seem like a low point. The injuries may seem never ending, and the franchise's future may look bleak at best. But, at 7:10 PM tonight, our New York Mets will be taking the field. And I?ll, of course, be watching.
:33:

This moved me.
this made me move my bowels.
i won 40 bucks from that game
I'm going to the Mets tonight
I hope Guzman steals 10 bases tonight and that Phil Nevin hits 5 home runs.
Make it Giles instead, he's on my fantasy team.
Wilpon is like a guy who is afraid to buy a $1 million house. Instead he pays $750K for a house worth $500K and then spends another $200 fixing it up.
I'd trade him straight up for Ed Wade
Keyser Soze Wrote:Wilpon is like a guy who is afraid to buy a $1 million house. Instead he pays $750K for a house worth $500K and then spends another $200 fixing it up.
Best analogy I heard in a while.