CDIH

Full Version: SPAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I always wondered why is junk e-mail called spam? Is it an acronym for something? where the fuck did it come from?
It all started with Monty Python

A famous Monty Python skit revolved around a restaurant specializing in dishes involving lots of Spam. A group of Vikings sitting in the corner would sing Spam, Spam, Spam, lovely Spam. Wonderful Spam!, drowning out the waitress and all conversation in the restaurant.

Then spam visited MUD communities

Since unsolicited email is seen as drowning out all other communication, it made sense to call it spam (with a lowercase "s" to differentiate it from the Hormel meat product). At least it made sense in the 1980s to users in the MUD (multiuser dungeon) community.

This community is a multiperson shared environment where people chat, use objects created in the environment, and interact in different MUD locations. When a computer was flooded with too much information, it was called spamming. Another term was "to spam the database," which referred to the computer creating a large number of objects, instead of objects being created by hand within the community.

The first famous spam

In 1994 the first large-scale spamming occurred with the infamous Green Card spam. Two attorneys trying to drum up some clients hired a programmer to flood every USENET newsgroup with this letter. This unsolicited email made people so angry that recipients began referring to it as spam.

Today, not even 10 years later, the term "spam" is so common that it's listed as a definition in the dictionary.
I always took it to mean stuff that no one ever wants. Since spam is universally sited as being the worst example of a food substance
Spam is actually quite a treat.
fry it up and its heaven
i grew up on spam fritters. apple fritters are good too.
Ewww. It's potted meat. That's the worst description of food. Yuck. Never ate it, never will.
it's really not that bad, i think it got a bad rap
english people can't judge good food, you blood pudding eater you.
Spam is quite popular in Hawaii.

The turkey spam is not too bad.
I agree, fried spam is ok, with a little mayo. But I grew up broke, so I used to think powdered milk and condensed milk wasnt bad either.
shut up scrapple eater
Now scrapple on the other hand, is completely horrible. Ass and lips.
blood pudding is very good.
Blueberry creme coffee is quite tasty as well.
Scrapple was a funny movie