CDIH
new orleans - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: new orleans (/showthread.php?tid=10533)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- Sir O - 09-21-2005

I'm not sure if you're trying to joke or something but...the Texas shore is definitely not "all dirt" and a huge portion of our economy depends on it. Wanna see gas at $4 a gallon? Shit you don't drive anyway so it doesn't matter I guess...

But the fact is that offshore oil rigs have already been evacuated and will sort of have a domino effect...gas rises, the price of shipping rises, the price of goods rises...and all of this after Katrina destroyed our biggest port. Our third biggest state is about to be slammed and its coast wiped out...

A whole lot of agriculture comes from eastern Texas, just as so much came down the Mississippi river through New Orleans. You know about supply and demand...less supply, more demand, higher prices.

I almost feel like a shithead talking about the economic impact when the human toll will be awful too. Whatever. Don't kid yourself, we're all going to feel this.

- Keyser Soze - 09-21-2005

texas will be convieniently prepared this time because of the complete fuck up in new orleans.

- Goatweed - 09-21-2005

can't they just setup a few hundred super-strong fans & blow the hurricane away? it's all just clouds, right?

- Galt - 09-21-2005

It's not like this is the first hurricane (or even second) that the country's had to deal with.

Katrina was a once in a lifetime hurricane, and even if Rita is as bad a storm, I don't think the destruction will be anywhere near as bad.

- Sir O - 09-21-2005

Galt Wrote:It's not like this is the first hurricane (or even second) that the country's had to deal with.

Katrina was a once in a lifetime hurricane, and even if Rita is as bad a storm, I don't think the destruction will be anywhere near as bad.
I really fucking hope you're right.

- Galt - 09-21-2005

OMG!!! Texas found qualified bus drivers!!!!!

Edited By Galt on 1127327747

- Sir O - 09-21-2005

Quote:GALVESTON, Texas Sep 21, 2005 — Gaining strength with frightening speed, Hurricane Rita swirled toward the Gulf Coast a Category 5, 165-mph monster Wednesday as more than 1.3 million people in Texas and Louisiana were sent packing on orders from authorities who learned a bitter lesson from Katrina

OK...

- The Jays - 09-21-2005

It certainly helps when mandatory evac is ordered 72 hours prior to landfall, before a majority of people have fled.

IF this is a big storm, you say? It's already a Cat 5. Between Monday and Tuesday, the pressure dropped from 1000 to 970. From last night to today, the pressure dropped from 970 to, get this, 904. This is now the 5th lowest pressure recorded for a storm, soon to overtake Katrina's spot as 4th lowest.

Areas such as Galveston have a history with hurricane, particularly one which killed 2000 people. Their city has been elevated since then, as well as the installation of sea walls. That doesn't change the fact that a Cat 5 storm is on the way.

- The Jays - 09-21-2005

MY GOD, IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!

- The Jays - 09-22-2005

Quote:...RITA BECOMES THE THIRD MOST INTENSE HURRICANE ON RECORD...

DROPSONDE DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT AT 623 PM CDT...2323Z...INDICATED THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS
FALLEN TO BELOW 899 MB...OR 26.55 INCHES. THE DROPSONDE INSTRUMENT
MEASURED 32 KT/35 MPH WINDS AT THE SURFACE...WHICH MEANS IT LIKELY
DID NOT RECORD THE LOWEST PRESSURE IN THE EYE OF RITA. THE CENTRAL
PRESSURE IS PROBABLY AT LEAST AS LOW AS 898 MB...AND PERHAPS EVEN
LOWER. FOR OFFICIAL PURPOSES... A PRESSURE OF 898 MB IS ASSUMED...
WHICH NOW MAKES RITA THE THIRD MOST INTENSE HURRICANE IN TERMS OF
PRESSURE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN. SOME ADDITIONAL DEEPENING AND
INTENSIFICATION IS POSSIBLE FOR THE NEXT 12 HOURS OR SO.

RITA CURRENTLY RANKS BEHIND HURRICANE GILBERT IN 1988 WITH 888 MB
AND THE 1935 LABOR DAY HURRICANE WITH 892 MB.

- Sir O - 09-22-2005

I'd seriously comment on how FUCKED UP shit is about to become...again...if I wasn't so in love with Galt's FSM sig pic.

Can FSM save us from all this hurricane shit?

- Black Lazerus - 09-22-2005

News
AP post from the future
George Bush says "well with New Orleans we uh uh failed, but i wanted to make sure we didn't uh fail again so i made sure we were uh uh uh prepared this time"

- Galt - 09-22-2005

His noodly appendage can save you even if you are not a midget or a pirate.

- The Jays - 09-22-2005

Third time's the charm.

It's a home game too.

- Mad - 09-22-2005

Who's pushing the buttons on the weather machine? They sure have that sucker dialed in just right.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 09-22-2005

a weather machine, a directv remote control, and 3 pieces of fax paper.

- Sir O - 09-22-2005

I'm not really sure what to make of this one...I guess everyone is just in CYA mode or something.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/091805/new_blanco001.shtml">http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/091 ... o001.shtml</a><!-- m -->

Quote:Hours after the hurricane hit [Monday] Aug. 29, the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced a plan to send 500 commercial buses into New Orleans to rescue thousands of people left stranded on highways, overpasses and in shelters, hospitals and homes.

On the day of the storm, or perhaps the day after, FEMA turned down the state's suggestion to use school buses because they are not air conditioned, Blanco said Friday in an interview.

....The state had sent 68 school buses into the city on Monday. Blanco took over more buses from Louisiana school systems and sent them in on Wednesday, two days after the storm. She tapped the National Guard to drive them.

....On Wednesday, with the FEMA buses still not in sight, Blanco called the White House to talk to Bush and ended up speaking to Chief of Staff Andy Card....Card promised to get Blanco more buses.

...."I had security in the knowledge that there were 500 buses," she said. "Mike [Brown] had emphasized the buses to me personally. That was not my first concern until I realized that they were not there."

Meanwhile, the state continued to send school buses into the affected areas.

One of Blanco's aides, Leonard Kleinpeter, said FEMA told him at one point that the state could stop sending school buses because the agency was going to bring in helicopters and use them instead of the commercial buses that still weren't there.

Blanco told Kleinpeter to ignore those instructions

- Sir O - 09-27-2005

WTF?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/22/national/main878583.shtml">http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/ ... 8583.shtml</a><!-- m -->

Quote:Sept. 26, 2005
6:44 p.m.
(CBS) — CBS News correspondent Gloria Borger reports that Michael Brown, who recently resigned as the head of the FEMA, has been rehired by the agency as a consultant to evaluate it's response following Hurricane Katrina.

If this is true...fuck it, just fuck it.