CDIH
2005 AL MVP - Who should it be and why? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 2005 AL MVP - Who should it be and why? (/showthread.php?tid=10592)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Keyser Soze - 09-30-2005

will a-rod be selling limited edition signed MVP replica trophies?

- Goatweed - 09-30-2005

probably for $2,000 a pop too.

i think the answer to this question really depends on how you define MVP. some say its the best offensive + defensive player, others say its the person most valuable to their team's success. if its the latter, as the name implies "most valuable player", then it should simply be the player with the most "win shares"

- Galt - 09-30-2005

Keysers, as always, comes to the rescue with his "agree to disagree" politics.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 09-30-2005

ties the game and wins it.

m v p

Going by Win Shares , which I think is the best way to judge MVP, I would say A Rod is the winner by a mere 4 shares.

I'm not asking us to agree to disagree, i'm trying to explain my position.

- Galt - 09-30-2005

If they don't win this game, they don't make the playoffs. Had they lost this game, they would have had to sweep against the Yankees to win the division. Now all they have to do is win 2 of 3 to force a playoff.

2 tired's vote should be disallowed.

if he doesnt know the difference betwix leiter and leiber his baseball thoughts should be completely ignored.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 09-30-2005

How many first downs did Oritz get this year?

- HedCold - 09-30-2005

i have no idea who travis hafner is, so i'll vote for him

- IrishAlkey - 09-30-2005

2 tired 2 give N F Wrote:How many first downs did Oritz get this year?
7 hat tricks...

- GonzoStyle - 09-30-2005

fuck hafner if you vote for an indian it should be coco crisp.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 09-30-2005

Quote:7 hat tricks...
In a single season of soccer??? Wow that's like MVP for life status. Very impressive.

- The Jays - 09-30-2005

It's a very special thing that Ortiz can do, to wait until just the right time, when the chips are down, for him to come to the plate and hit like he does, it's very special.

Jeter is the captain, and the heart of the Yankees, but A-rod is the soul, because he himself has no soul, which is how Yankees should be. He's a machine, he's been the backbone of the offense all year long. In that horrible month of April, A-rod quietly stood at the top of the American League in most of the major stat catagories. The Yankee season has been about the offense going through slumps and spurts, while the pitching got blow up, but Rodiguez stayed consistant, and it wasn't till the end of June that the big offensive players came out.

He also has 20 steals. He's also less likely to ground into double plays.

- crx girl - 09-30-2005

i'm not gonna vote just yet, but i'm gonna say fuckin ortiz. maybe i'm still basing it on last year's playoffs, but after tonight grr.

i'm gonna have to go ahead and ask some of y'all to come in on sunday because my gay ass manager thinks nfl sunday means only football games get on tv regardless of the importance of any other happenings.

i guess your manager doesnt like money.

- Galt - 09-30-2005

So it's Arod's 20 steals and the fact that he brings a glove to the game that makes him the MVP? If that's the case, then why didn't Ozzie Smith win every year?

In my mind, MVP is about who means the most to their team's success, and Ortiz has clearly meant more. If Arod had an amazing April and his team sucked ass, then I guess he didn't mean much. If he puts up most of his stats when the game is meaningless (non-clutch, nobody on base) then I guess he doesn't mean much.

If one team makes the playoffs and the other doesn't that's who will win the MVP.

However, it doesn't matter because Jason Giambi is the AL MVP

ortiz was also an MVP candidate in 2003. and he didnt even play the entire season.

- crx girl - 09-30-2005

Keyser Soze Wrote:i guess your manager doesnt like money.
he's just gay, he doesn't get it. so unless a customer asks for the baseball game on he thinks i'm just putting it on because i want to watch it. he also doesn't understand why when people request a game on the tv they're sitting by that they want it put on now, not in 15 minutes. but, i like money so i will be putting the game on.

- GonzoStyle - 09-30-2005

Galt Wrote:So it's Arod's 20 steals and the fact that he brings a glove to the game that makes him the MVP? If that's the case, then why didn't Ozzie Smith win every year?
Because Ozzie smith never hit 50 home runs, what a stupid comparison. You say just because he brings a glove like its a small thing, Ortiz plays half a game, he doesnt play the field and thats huge. So the small edge he has on A Rod evens out and then some, for ortiz to win he'd have to be far and away much better but he's not. Arod is a complete package of hitting, running. and fielding while Ortiz is just one of those, although no ones arguing a great one.