CDIH
What are your favorite obscure movies? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What are your favorite obscure movies? (/showthread.php?tid=493)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Arpikarhu - 02-19-2002

BeckyDC Wrote:Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me..by David Lynch. You know it's gotta be fucked up because Lynch is the man. Falls Under: Cult Classics. Smile
that movie sucked!!!!!!!!!!

how could i forget "how to get a head in advertising"? great flick!!

trees lounge was good too.

- The Sleeper - 02-19-2002

Welcome to the Dollhouse was excellent.

My choice would be "In the Company of Men", a very dark and brutally honest comedy.

- Arpikarhu - 02-19-2002

Quote:My choice would be In the Company of Men
what a surprise

- Maynard - 02-19-2002

WElcome to the Dollhouse was indeed a great movie. BUT, it is hardly obscure.

And Twin Peaks sucked, BUT, that wasn't obscure either.

Many of you seem to think that just because a film is marked "Cult" that it is obscure. This is quite untrue.

- Arpikarhu - 02-19-2002

Quote:Many of you seem to think that just because a film is marked "Cult" that it is obscure. This is quite untrue.
well please enlighten us cultural peasants with your mighty intellect. we a re humbled before your enlarged forebrain.

- The Sleeper - 02-19-2002

Quote:Many of you seem to think that just because a film is marked "Cult" that it is obscure. This is quite untrue.
yea, and if its listed on imdb.com, than it's NOT obscure too!!

- Brokenjaw - 02-19-2002

Howard The Duck.

- Keyser Soze - 02-19-2002

I think your definition of ob•scure (adj) is too obscure, meaning not clear or plain; ambiguous, vague, or uncertain: an obscure sentence in the contract.

Obscure can mean inconspicuous or unnoticeable: the obscure beginnings of a great movement. It can also mean of little or no prominence, note, fame, or distinction: an obscure French artist.
Also far from public notice, worldly affairs, or important activities; remote; retired: an obscure little town.

Please specify.

I'm having trouble thinking of movies that fit into so fine a category.I think your definition is that they were hollywood style movies, not indie or cult, as you have deemed "un-obscure" for the purposes of this thread but not recognizable enough to be known to the pedestrian movie fan.

Heres a shot...

1. Swimming With Sharks
2. The Opposite Of Sex
3. Truth Or Consequences N.M.
4. Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead
5. The Last Seduction

Am I warm?

Edited By Keyser Soze on Feb. 19 2002 at 1:59

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-19-2002

Keyser Soze Wrote:2. The Opposite Of Sex
That was a great movie....

Happiness was also a good movie that most people I know never saw.

What about The Ice Storm?

- BeckyDC - 02-19-2002

Quote:And Twin Peaks sucked, BUT, that wasn't obscure either.
I indicated that Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me was located in the Cult section of the movie store, not that I thought of it obscure because it was labelled "cult" As for me, I think it's obscure:

ob·scure Pronunciation Key (b-skyr, b-)
adj. ob·scur·er, ob·scur·est
Deficient in light; dark.

the movie is incredibly dark and far from normal. Smile

- Maynard - 02-19-2002

I dunno, I guess that maybe I think of obscure in a different way. I have gone out of my way to see movies that people recommend. Even if they are hard to find.

Maybe obscurity starts at Blockbuster. If it's in there, then it can't be too obscure.

- IkeaBoy - 02-19-2002

Keyser Soze Wrote:1. Swimming With Sharks
Would you like that in a PUMP or a LOAFER??

God damn I love that movie.

I'm not sure what counts as obscure. Eraserhead is definitely obscure but is Barton Fink considered obscure as well? And personally I liked FWWM even though it answered nothing of the series.

Edited By IkeaBoy on Feb. 19 2002 at 2:37

- BeckyDC - 02-19-2002

Quote:Maybe obscurity starts at Blockbuster. If it's in there, then it can't be too obscure.
Yeah, Cockbuster doesnt have Fire Walk With Me..well none of the ones by me do..I have to go to Hollywood video.

maybe I should just buy it. ???

Edited By BeckyDC on Feb. 19 2002 at 2:41

- IkeaBoy - 02-19-2002

hold your horses becky i read about a special edition DVD with about 40 minutes of delted scenes featuring the people from Twin Peaks the show including Truman.

Also I just remembered another one- Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin. It's a strange movie but I enjoyed it tremendously

- BeckyDC - 02-19-2002

Quote:hold your horses becky i read about a special edition DVD with about 40 minutes of delted scenes featuring the people from Twin Peaks the show including Truman.

there was a couple movies..it's the one called Fire Walk With Me..with David Bowie and Chris Isaak in it. I dunno..no DVD around here with it..I dont even have a dvd player anyway..lol

- Galt - 02-19-2002

fuck the definition. If you think it's obscure so be it. Good enough for me.

Now Happiness is a movie that I'm ashamed I have't seen yet.

- IkeaBoy - 02-19-2002

Fire Walk with me- 92 film about the week before Laura Palmer's death with Isaac playing another FBI agent. When originally premiered at Cannes Film Festival there was a bunch of additional scenes featuring characters from the series.

The only other Twin Peaks 'movie' was the pilot movie which gave a quicky conclusion to the saga because they couldn't get the rights for the offiicial TV pilot.

- BeckyDC - 02-19-2002

Quote:fuck the definition. If you think it's obscure so be it.

Thank you.

- Doc - 02-19-2002

Quote:1. Swimming With Sharks

I asked for Sweet-n-Low, this is Equal.

That is a freaky movie...kind of fun to watch though.

- Mr. Brownstone - 02-20-2002

SLC Punk