CDIH
Motherboard Question - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Motherboard Question (/showthread.php?tid=8794)

Pages: 1 2 3

- QuickStop - 04-07-2004

pointing out that i got a defective stick of ram does not mean that you burned me

- Kid Afrika - 04-07-2004

It's the part where I pointed out that your computer broke after two days that's the burn. Your not knowing why it broke (originally) is just the icing on the cake. Now that you THINK you know what's wrong with it. The coup d'etat will be when you get your new stick of RAM and the thing still won't boot.

- Weird NJ - 04-07-2004

I bet he glossed over the part where I told him to stress test his system with Prime 95 and Memtest.

- QuickStop - 04-08-2004

no actually silly balls. i did stress test it with prime95 for like 12 hours before you even said anything about it. there were no problems then. when i got the ram to go at 200mhz (which 3200 is made to do) it died

- Kid Afrika - 04-08-2004

overclocking is 1337...

oh wait, it's not?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

"defective" = YOU BLEW IT UP!!!

You will someday learn to respect and appreciate manufacturer specs. Sure, you can stretch them a bit, but knowing the limits is paramount.

- QuickStop - 04-08-2004

I did not stretch the ram specs, captain darkie:
Quote:when i got the ram to go at 200mhz (which 3200 is made to do) it died

- QuickStop - 04-08-2004

and i see you are trying to get a rise out of me, but you have lost your touch for starting message board fights.

- Black Lazerus - 04-08-2004

QuickStop Wrote:I did not stretch the ram specs, captain darkie:
Quote:when i got the ram to go at 200mhz (which 3200 is made to do) it died
I'm the captain He's the General.

- QuickStop - 04-08-2004

sorry sir

- Kid Afrika - 04-08-2004

If I were trying to start a fight, I would first have to find a worthy opponent.

And please explain what you meant by "...got the ram to go at 200 mhz..."

- QuickStop - 04-08-2004

OC'ed the processor to 200x11. that means that the ram was operating at 200 mhz as well. an since it is pc 3200 (pc400) that is what it is made to do.

- Weird NJ - 04-09-2004

Did you boost the Vcore voltage?

- QuickStop - 04-09-2004

no need to. i know people were pushing it higher without upping the vcore (remember..this is a mobile processor). plus, the first thing i did when i had the problems was reset to the original settings

- Kid Afrika - 04-09-2004

one thing that you fail to realize is a fundamental law of electricity. when you lower voltage or increase load, you also increase the current in the circuit. what this means is when you up the output of your processor, memory, etc. without increasing the voltage, you are also increasing the draw through the traces feeding them.

This is the big problem I have always had with overclocking. You're essentially increasing the flow of the river without widening it. What happens? Advanced erosion of the riverbed (read: the traces).

The circuits are built to handle the tolerances in the specification. Can they run a bit faster? Sure, but they're also sure to not run as reliably or last as long. Think about bumping up the redline on your car about 3,000 RPM. Sure, it'll still run and you might gain 1 or 2 mph top speed, but in the end, your car is now going to last for about 50,000 miles instead of the 100K it was built to last.

Dance around the facts all you want. You built an experimental machine and you failed.

You say that once it started acting up, you put the settings back and it was still fucked up. That's like stopping in the middle of an intersection because you didn't see the red light... it's too little too late.

Admit your defeat.

- AbeSapien - 04-09-2004

Kid Afrika Wrote:one thing that you fail to realize is a fundamental law of electricity. when you lower voltage or increase load, you also increase the current in the circuit. what this means is when you up the output of your processor, memory, etc. without increasing the voltage, you are also increasing the draw through the traces feeding them.

This is the big problem I have always had with overclocking. You're essentially increasing the flow of the river without widening it. What happens? Advanced erosion of the riverbed (read: the traces).

The circuits are built to handle the tolerances in the specification. Can they run a bit faster? Sure, but they're also sure to not run as reliably or last as long. Think about bumping up the redline on your car about 3,000 RPM. Sure, it'll still run and you might gain 1 or 2 mph top speed, but in the end, your car is now going to last for about 50,000 miles instead of the 100K it was built to last.

Dance around the facts all you want. You built an experimental machine and you failed.

You say that once it started acting up, you put the settings back and it was still fucked up. That's like stopping in the middle of an intersection because you didn't see the red light... it's too little too late.

Admit your defeat.
[Image: laugh1.gif] (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)}" onclick="javascript:if(this.width > (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)} else {this.width = (this.width*2)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

- QuickStop - 04-09-2004

no..i really dont think this was my fault. i think you fail to realize that before overclocking, i found many many people you maxed out their processors with the exact same components of mine. people with the same ram, cpu, and mobo were going to 2.6 ghz on air cooling no problem. so me going to a mere 2.2 most definately should not have killed my machine.

- Hummercash - 04-10-2004

QuickStop Wrote:no..i really dont think this was my fault. i think you fail to realize that before overclocking, i found many many people you maxed out their processors with the exact same components of mine. people with the same ram, cpu, and mobo were going to 2.6 ghz on air cooling no problem. so me going to a mere 2.2 most definately should not have killed my machine.
but maybe your components had slight manufacturing faults that you would have never noticed had you not tried to push the envelope.

im sure they factor in minor faults when deciding the speed ratings. just because you can do it, doesn't mean its meant to be done.

<---totally agrees w/ kid

.//chris

- QuickStop - 04-10-2004

Quote:your components had slight manufacturing faults
manufacturing faults....i have no time for these

- Keyser Soze - 04-10-2004

what is that picture in your sig from, QS?

- QuickStop - 04-10-2004

battle royale