CDIH
Gay Marriage - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Gay Marriage (/showthread.php?tid=8556)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

- Mad - 02-24-2004

A constitutional amendment is not an easy thing to get passed. I think it's counter productive and who really gives a flying fuck if they gays want to commit to each other?

- crx girl - 02-24-2004

Quote:A nationwide CNN poll completed last week found that by a margin of 64-32, those surveyed said gay marriages should not be recognized in law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages.
i think this is the part that i find most disturbing. and probably why the amendment has a good chance of being passed. i guess because most of the people i come in contact with share my views on issues like this, it's easy to forget that for each one of us there's 2 people who disagree. and they're the ones more likely to go out and vote, and write letters to their reps and call and complain when there's a boob on tv.

but so anyway, if it's a constitutional amendment can the states still pass their own laws allowing it? or does it mean it's just outright banned throughout the country?

- Galt - 02-24-2004

can states pass laws barring women from voting?

No law can be unconstitutional. If they amend the constitution, no one can make a law that conflicts with it.

- crx girl - 02-24-2004

i see. that would be bad then.

- Keyser Soze - 02-24-2004

when is the last time we had a constitutional amendment?

- IrishAlkey - 02-24-2004

- Mad - 02-24-2004

Amendment XXVII
(1992)
No law varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives shall take effect until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

- IrishAlkey - 02-24-2004

Yeah, but that was overturned in the case of Henson Co. Vs. G Style.

- The Sleeper - 02-24-2004

Bush is clearly doing this now to put pressure on the Democrats and Kerry who have not made a solid stance on the issue. Yay for politics.

- Keyser Soze - 02-25-2004

sleeper is correct. the republicans know they are on the majority side of this issue.

- Mad - 02-25-2004

Quote:Passing a constitutional amendment is a difficult and lengthy process. Winning the support of two-thirds of the House of Representatives, two-thirds of the Senate and ratification by three-quarters of the states can take years.

Good luck GW Douche Nozzle.

- Galt - 02-25-2004

This is a horrible horrible thing. I would vote for whichever party is against this.

- The Sleeper - 02-25-2004

Nader's the only one who's fully in support of Gay marriage.

- crx girl - 02-25-2004

so, i think trying to make a constitutional amendment can only hurt the people pushing for it. there's a lot of people who are against gay marriage but they might still feel uneasy about something so drastic. anyway i think kerry said he's against it but would leave it up to the states but that's a non option if it's done in the constitution which would just be very bad. i think i'm rambling i just can't believe it's become such a big issue.

- Kid Afrika - 02-25-2004

The idea of a constitution for entire country is somewhat dated. We are not so unified in our beliefs and ideals that each and every state and county should be held to one judgement, especially one that is so objective (or is it subjective?). At any rate, there is no way that the country can make a blanket judgement as to what is socially acceptable when there are so many societies within our country.

I personally couldn't care less if gay marriage is recognized or not. But, I understand the fight for the right to be recognized like anybody else. Hell, I'd be fighting it if there were a law against inter-racial marriage. In fact, I may not even be here if that happened in the 60's.

Bottom line, I bet gay marriages last longer than traditional marriages anyway, so why fight it? It's not like gays are going to all of the sudden figure out how to procreate. Wait, they already do that through adoption, don't they? So what exactly is anyone arguing against?

Let people live their lives as long as it doesn't directly affect other people.

- Arpikarhu - 02-25-2004

Quote:In fact, I may not even be here if that happened in the 60's.
i have got to work harder on creating my time machine!

- GonzoStyle - 02-25-2004

How is the idea of a constitution dated? The whole point of a constitution is to form a unity for the entire country in matters of the highest importance. There have only been 27 ammendments since its creation, 2 of which do not count since one was prohibition and the other was the repeal of prohitibition. The rest of the ammendments mostly protect the rights of citizens, groups, and set govermental rules.

- Galt - 02-25-2004

The entire point of the consititution was to create distributed governement for the exact reasons you mentioned. The federal government only gets those rights explicitly granted, the states have control over everything else.

What the hell are you talking about outdated?

- GonzoStyle - 02-25-2004

Plus a no constitutional ammendement becomes ratified without the support of the majority of states, so they are accepting it either way. Just because bush backs this, doesn't make it so. It's not like any law, it not only needs the majority of the houses ok but the majority of the states since it becomes national law.

- Splatterpunk - 03-07-2004

I support all forms of love! This should be evident in my loving treatment of you people.

No, I know I'm detested here now, persona non gratis. I just came in to copy a post I made. I needed it. And I'm stopping in because I am a creature of temper of the moment, not of reason nor especially of virtue.

Gonzo, in testament to your superiority and excellence, I'm taking the liberty of posting my email to you sent the day I slammed out of here last.

[begin quote]
Don't you love her madly?
Don't you need her badly?

Don't you love her ways?
O tell me whatchoo say...

Don't you love her madly...
Don't you need her badly...

Don't you love her face

Don't you love her as she's walkin out the door

Like she did one thousand times before...
[/end quote]

_
2/20/04

Hey.
You know what's coming.

You're a sweetheart, [Gonz] you really are. I feel terrible for hollering at you. Especially since [**] wrote me twice, inviting me back. [***] didn't have to do that and I know it. So I'm an ass and a harpy. I'm sorry.

I wish I was less impatient on your board but for me, every post I make on your site is misinterpreted. I hate having to spend so much effort connecting dots & it seems I have to spend so much time & effort explain myself in ways I think are so obvious. But like I said. I think the forum's just wrong {for me}. It drives me up a wall; to me, I sound reasonable. Maybe I am and your site harbors morons. It might.

That's a joke.

At any rate, the 'woman' thing in the topic I posted in this morning set me off but my fuse was less than a fractional inch long after the past 2 days & it was just a matter of time before I stormed out again, just like I did, in a flounce and a scene. It could have been anyone I pissed off at.

I do -- I always do, like I said before -- feel sorry for spouting off at *you*. Anyway, love. I won't be going back, obviously. For real, I think you've got to agree, I don't fit in. It's fine. It really is. I hope you keep in touch. Too bad you're not on any other lists or whatever, because I feel like you've really never gotten to know me in better circumstances. I like you a lot & I think it'd be cool to talk to you and see if we hit it off better than online. You're a smart guy, open-minded. I admire the way your mind works. I just detest your board crowd.

You take care, sweetheart. I'm sorry if I was a vile contemptible cunt & I appreciate your making the effort to keep me about.

Say hi to Alkey for me & be good. Write if you want. And send me Alkey's email, if he wants me to have it. I'd keep in touch with the 2 of you.

Jennifer