CDIH
Red Sox - Yankees - The Final Showdown - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Red Sox - Yankees - The Final Showdown (/showthread.php?tid=9473)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

- The Jays - 10-22-2004

Lakers did the exact same thing as the Yankees. They added the Glove and the Mailman to augment an existing structure, investing lots of money to get back to the Finals, and they did, and they lost to a team, an Eastern Conference team. They tried to buy the championship, and they couldn't.

- Keyser Soze - 10-22-2004

2 tired 2 give N F Wrote:Aren't some of the A's pitchers available this year? Zito, Hudson, Mulder...at least one of these guys has a contract up if not all three of them I thouhgt.
beane wants to trade one of them so he can afford to sign the other two

- HedCold - 10-22-2004

i'm pretty sure its zito who is the free agent. the mets probably have a good shot at him because of the pitching coach. zito and him are supposedly real close.

the golfer who blew the big lead was greg norman. i'm not sure if it was 5 strokes in 2 holes, but he had a big lead going into the last day of the tournament (i think masters) and blew it. would have been hist first time winning it.

the lakers didn't do the same thing as the yankees because they were never up 3-0 with a lead in game 4 and a few minutes left to go.

- Galt - 10-22-2004

none of the As pitchers are free agents this year. I believe Hudson and Zito are both free agents after next year and Mulder in '06. From what I've read, they prefer Hudson to Zito for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zito ends up on the Sox or Yankees in the offseason.

- The Sleeper - 10-22-2004

wasnt the golfer jéan van de velde, in the british open?

- Galt - 10-22-2004

yes. I can't believe I forgot such a simple name.

- HedCold - 10-22-2004

oh, so i guess he lost 5 strokes in 2 holes. from what little i know about golf greg normans is what stood out as the biggest choke to me

that's a name i'll always remember, and I'll always remember him trying to pitch the ball out of the water!!

HedCold Wrote:oh, so i guess he lost 5 strokes in 2 holes. from what little i know about golf greg normans is what stood out as the biggest choke to me
greg norman has choked a few times i think. the one i remember was against nick faldo in the masters, he was probably up like 5 strokes with 9 holes to play. not nearly as bad as van de velde's choke job.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://boston.craigslist.org/cas/46339611.html">http://boston.craigslist.org/cas/46339611.html</a><!-- m -->

I think Bill Simmons, as he always does, summed it up best....

Quote:You have to be from here to understand. You just do. It wasn't just that the Yankees always win. It was everything else that came with it -- the petty barbs, the condescending remarks, the general sense of superiority from a fan base that derives a disproportionate amount of self-esteem from the success of their baseball team. I didn't care that they kept winning as much as they were a-holes about it. Not all of them. Most of them. In 96 hours, everything was erased. Everything. It was like pressing the re-start button on a video game.

And yeah, I know. We need to win the World Series to complete the dream. But you can win the World Series every year. You only have one chance to destroy the Yanks. As my friend Mike (a Tigers fan) wrote me last night, "Everyone outside of Yankee brats are celebrating quietly with you guys. It's like you killed Michael Myers, Jason, Freddie Kreueger and Hannibal Lecter in one night."

It was the choke of chokes, an unprecedented gag job. For once, finally, the Yankees have some baggage. Just like every other baseball team.

- IrishAlkey - 10-22-2004

b-i-t-t-e-r

- The Jays - 10-22-2004

Quote:Edwards: Yank season looks good to me
Friday, October 22, 2004
By DAVE HUTCHINSON
ADVANCE STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, L.I. -- Jet coach Herman Edwards said yesterday that in the grand scheme of things, the Yankees' loss to the Boston Red Sox isn't that big a deal and that fans need to "get over it." He added that the team's 26 World Series titles should be enough to ease the pain.

"They're generally in the championship game every year," Edwards said. "They have good players and they try to win every year. And when they don't, it's a bad year? I hope, as a coach, I have some of those bad years they've had. I'll take them. They ain't bad to me. ... "

"Now we want to say they choked. How did they choke? They won (101 games during the regular season). As far as I'm concerned, they had a great year."

Edwards was then told that fans didn't feel that way on Wednesday night at Yankee Stadium after watching a 10-3 loss end their season after blowing a 3-0 lead in the series.

"You know what? Get over it," he said. "Everyone came to work today, unless you didn't want to, and you blamed it on the Yankees not winning. That's an excuse.

"No one really cares. Everyone's got their own problems. I've got my own problems. I've got to go play New England. Hey, I'm going to sit here and go, 'The poor Yankees?' You've got to get over it."

Edwards said offensive coordinator Paul Hackett, a Red Sox fan, was probably "in one of those bars last night in Boston. He looked a little tired this morning."

I love Herm Edwards.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

- GonzoStyle - 10-22-2004

Keyser Soze Wrote:I think Bill Simmons, as he always does, summed it up best....

Quote:You have to be from here to understand. You just do. It wasn't just that the Yankees always win. It was everything else that came with it -- the petty barbs, the condescending remarks, the general sense of superiority from a fan base that derives a disproportionate amount of self-esteem from the success of their baseball team. I didn't care that they kept winning as much as they were a-holes about it. Not all of them. Most of them. In 96 hours, everything was erased. Everything. It was like pressing the re-start button on a video game.

And yeah, I know. We need to win the World Series to complete the dream. But you can win the World Series every year. You only have one chance to destroy the Yanks. As my friend Mike (a Tigers fan) wrote me last night, "Everyone outside of Yankee brats are celebrating quietly with you guys. It's like you killed Michael Myers, Jason, Freddie Kreueger and Hannibal Lecter in one night."

It was the choke of chokes, an unprecedented gag job. For once, finally, the Yankees have some baggage. Just like every other baseball team.
That's BS cause there's condescending remarks both ways, there's hatred both ways, and both fan bases are assholes when it comes to eachother. The sox fans are more maniacal when it comes to it, case in point the "yankee sucks" chant at the patriots superbowl victory parade.

- The Jays - 10-22-2004

Quote:It was the choke of chokes, an unprecedented gag job. For once, finally, the Yankees have some baggage. Just like every other baseball team.

Yeah, but, it doesn't make the Yankees more likable. Everyone is still gonna hate the Yankees.

Does it make everything from here on less meaningful?

- The Jays - 10-22-2004

Keyser Soze Wrote:I love Herm Edwards.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME
Ok... yeah, he didn't say that in the article.

- Galt - 10-22-2004

I think it comes down to this.

The yankee fans had their knee-jerk "1918" chant that Sox fans couldn't defend against. It made them act all superior, and it just pissed off Sox fans.

Now with this giant collapse, it gives Sox fans a uniform chant that makes sense ("yankees suck" was just stupid)

- The Jays - 10-22-2004

It's so important to have a good chant.

- HedCold - 10-22-2004

i'd like to see 50,000 people break out into one of those "there was a birdie in a tree" songs like in little league