CDIH
The good pre-Godfather movies on TV thread - For Galt, and anyone else - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: The good pre-Godfather movies on TV thread - For Galt, and anyone else (/showthread.php?tid=10161)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Sir O - 03-11-2005

Damn I love sci-fi....

The Day The Earth Stood Still...one of the best movies ever made.

- Galt - 03-11-2005

Millenium was OK. Does that count as sci fi?

- Sir O - 03-11-2005

No.

- Galt - 03-11-2005

That's OK. It wasn't really that good. It was just the first obscure sci-fi movie that I thought of. I guess the Alien movies were pretty good, but those aren't really sci fi, they're more just monster/horror movies.

- diceisgod - 03-11-2005

Thanks for clearing that up, chief!

- Galt - 03-11-2005

Trekkie

- Hybrid - 03-11-2005

double indemnity was a great movie

- Buttmunch - 03-11-2005

Birth of a Nation gave me a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

- GonzoStyle - 03-11-2005

Quote:Keanu Reeves is a better actor than Humphy Bogart. The guy's fucking horrible. I don't see how I'm the only one who thinks this. He's so over the top, it's ridiculous. His dialogue is forced and unnaturally quick. He's so amateur.

As I read that I couldn't hold back the tears and the pain...

- The Sleeper - 03-11-2005

galt's opinion don't mean a hill of beans on this crazy board

- Galt - 03-12-2005

Quote:Father of the Bride
I want to bang Elizabeth Taylor

- Sir O - 03-12-2005

Rosemary's Baby starts in 20 minutes...

- GonzoStyle - 03-14-2005

The Sleeper Wrote:galt's opinion don't mean a hill of beans on this crazy board
We'll always have wheelers.

- Galt - 03-14-2005

Rosemary's Baby was good, though it was a weird ending. So Satan actually came up, and now at 40, should be about to take over the world?

I saw High Noon. meh. Boring.
I watched some of Double Indemnity, which was a cool idea, especially given when it was made, but it still had the cheesy 40s dialogue that I can't get over.

All of these movies are universally rated 3 1/2 to 4 stars which makes them up there with Fight Club and Pulp Fiction and Schindler's List as some of the best movies of all time. There's no way I'd rate them that high. They're 2-3 star movies at best.

I promised I'd watch what was listed, so if you notice the super classics like Citizen Kane, or the original Manchurian Candidate, or the other supposed 'best movies ever" are going to be shown, let me know.

- Sir O - 03-14-2005

Tuesday on AMC:

7:40 AM - Sahara (1943)

9:40 - Battle of the Bulge (1965)

12:45 PM - Strategic Air Command (1955)

3:15 - Stalag 17 (1953)

Four classic war movies. I've never seen Sahara or SAC but they look good. Battle of the Bulge is fucking great and Stalag 17 is off the charts even though I'm positive Galt would hate it.

5:45 - Escape from Alcatraz (1979) - Yeah, this is well post-Godfather, but it rules so I'm mentioning it.

Wednesday on TCM:

8:00 - Ministry of Fear (1944)

11:15 - Fury (1936)

Friday on TCM:

8:00 PM - The Seven Year Itch (1955)

2:00 AM - Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933) - hopefully this is subtitled, not dubbed

Saturday on TCM:

2:00 PM - In a Lonely Place (1950)

8:00 - Adam's Rib (1949)

- The Sleeper - 03-14-2005

I watched Double Indemnity too. Very good. Billy Wilder is amazing at ending movies. All 4 of the movies I've seen by him (some like it hot, the apartment, sunset blvd, double indemnity) all end on a perfect line or note. More screenwriters should watch his movies or read his scripts to learn how to end a movie.

- The Sleeper - 03-14-2005

I'm dissapointed that TCM is doing a Fritz Lang retrospective and not showing M, but I guess it'll give me a chance to check out some other movies by him.

- Sir O - 03-14-2005

Yeah, M was great, I'd also like to see Metropolis - I had that on VHS but lost my copy years ago and never bothered to get it again...

Definitely check out the ones I listed though, and have you seen any of the other Lang movies they're showing?

- Galt - 03-15-2005

Double Idemnity was good. Though I think the Edward G Robinson character wouldn't have been as friendly to this murderer after it came out what happened. The guy was too much of a hard-ass.

I'm not into war movies (even recent ones) so I probably won't like these.

I've already seen Escape From Alcatraz. It was good.

- The Sleeper - 03-15-2005

Galt, they worked together for like 11 years. He hinted at the end how close a friend he thought Fred McMurray was. I don't see why he would chew him out after he already admitted to the murder.

Sir O, nah, I actually signed up for a Hitchcock/Lang course in college but it turned out to be a David Lynch/Atom Egoyan class, to my dismay. Although Eraserhead is a great movie.