CDIH
Mets get Carlos Delgado - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Mets get Carlos Delgado (/showthread.php?tid=10800)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- TheGMANN - 11-26-2005

Getting rid of Looper and signing Billy Wagner is all I care about.

- GonzoStyle - 11-26-2005

Keyser Soze Wrote:Obviously, to a degree.
nice disclaimer.

- Keyser Soze - 11-26-2005

" ...He's a stand-alone threat to the Braves, having batted .333 at Turner Field last year, and a proven clutch hitter. Delgado batted .359 in September, while the Marlins were chasing a playoff spot, and batted .327 overall with runners in scoring position. Delgado isn't young, but at 33 is still capable of producing at least three more quality seasons, in the Mets' estimation. For that reason, they're comfortable with trading away Yusmeiro Petit, their best pitching prospect, along with Mike Jacobs."

-Klapisch

- Bloody Anus - 11-26-2005

What exactly is the point of comparing Delgado to Ortiz? Delgado has been putting up consistently solid numbers for the past decade; Ortiz has improved steadily over the past 6 years, but has been a 30-100 guy for only the last 3. Why not compare Delgado to Pujols then? Or Derrek Lee? What the hell does Ortiz have to do with anything?

I don't really like the trade for the fact that the Mets have essentially become the Yankees now. Trade any and all long-term prospects for a big name to try to win now as opposed to build around Beltran/Wright/Reyes who will be here for the next 5+ years. I would have been perfectly OK with Jacobs/Nady at first in 2006, but instead let's trade away Jacobs and the top pitching prospect for a 33 year old who has probably 3 good years left in him. And though they probably could have gotten more for Cameron, Nady is a nice young bat with tremendous upside, so that doesn't bother me so much.
But the first mistake the Mets made was picking up the option on fucking Trachsel. They will never ever win a thing with this guy in the rotation. I don't care what his stats say, he is a fucking LOSING PITCHER. Any team he is on is destined to lose. The 98 Cubs are the exception, but he had very little do with them making the playoffs. Just his whole composure and attitude on the mound spell LOSER. Their pitching is old; they need Benson to do what a #1 pick should do, otherwise it'll be another 80 win season.
Plus with Delgado, Beltran will still not be used properly, which is in the #2 hole. They'll need to sandwich Wright between Delgado and Floyd, meaning Beltran will still bat 3rd, followed by Delgado/Wright/Floyd. Beltran needs to be batting 2nd for him to put up the numbers he is capable of and thus give the Mets their best chance of winning. But instead, whoever they pick up to play 2B will probably end up batting 2nd. Hopefully they'll sacrifice a decent bat for a great glove, because they'll need one to solidify the right side of the infield, which could also allow Beltran to bat 2nd.

- Keyser Soze - 11-26-2005

because delgado is not nearly as good as puljos who averages 41 homers, 127 RBIs, .332 AVG, and a .416 OBP. puljos lives on the planet just south of where bonds used to live. derek lee had a fantastic breakout season, its too soon to tell if he'll keep it up. he's had power in the past but his .335 average has yet to be determined as an abberation of a sign of things to come.

- The Jays - 11-26-2005

Galt Wrote:Ortiz has only had a full time job with Boston for 2 1/2 years.
If you consider DH full-time work, that is.

- The Jays - 11-26-2005

Bloody Anus Wrote:What exactly is the point of comparing Delgado to Ortiz?
because it's funny

- Keyser Soze - 11-27-2005

its accurate

- GonzoStyle - 11-27-2005

in keyserville, population: you.

right because you made such compelling counterarguements such as comparing delgado to players i never even said he was as good as.

- Bloody Anus - 11-27-2005

Yes but why Ortiz? It's not like the Mets had a choice between Delgado and Ortiz and "settled" for Delgado. Maybe comparing Delgado to Ramirez would make a bit more sense..

why does it have to be based on anything other than for the sake of comparison? people compare different players to each other all the time. ortiz is considered one of the premier offensive players in the game, i compared his numbers to delgado to show how good delgado is and how he compares to ortiz.

- The Jays - 11-27-2005

yeah, i mean, sometimes, I go to mlb.com, and I compare 5 different players who are totally random, just to see the differences, without any particular order, but Im crazy like that, I totally disobey the rules. stop being such a rebel keyser.

what the fuck are you talking about???

- The Jays - 11-27-2005

clean up your comparsion standards like bloody anus says!

i was comparing delgado to one of the premier offensive threats in baseball. whats the problem?

- The Jays - 11-27-2005

BOW BEFORE BLOODY ANUS

- Bloody Anus - 11-27-2005

Quote:Three year averages...

Ortiz, 75 runs, 139 hits, 31 HRs, 105 RBIs, 59 walks, .289 avg, .366 OBP

Delgado, 98 runs, 145 hits, 36 HRs, 117 RBIs, 93 walks, .284 avg, .403 OBP

Are these 3-year averages from 3 completely random seasons? It would probably be a lot more relevant to compare the PREVIOUS 3 seasons, which would look more like this:

Ortiz: 97 runs, 161 hits, 40 HR, 129 RBI, 78 BB, .297 BA, .382 OBP
Delgado: 91 runs, 151 hits, 36 HR, 120 RBI, 83 BB, .292 BA, .399 OBP

However, if you compared Delgado to Ortiz from 2000 to 2002, it would look like this:

Ortiz: 52 runs, 100 hits, 16 HR, 62 RBI, 47 BB, .265 BA, .342 OBP
Delgado: 107 runs, 165 hits, 38 HR, 116 RBI, 112 BB, .300 BA, .428 OBP

So on that front, you do make a great point. Delgado > Ortiz.

- GonzoStyle - 11-27-2005

fuck... we lost.

- Galt - 11-27-2005

If you compare Roger Clemens 1986 season to what Felix Hernandez did in the same year, it's not even close