CDIH
20 truths about music - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Noise Pollution (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 20 truths about music (/showthread.php?tid=5295)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Arpikarhu - 02-13-2003

this place has really lost its wit

- Keyser Soze - 02-13-2003

we still have our twit

- Arpikarhu - 02-13-2003

true

- Maynard - 02-14-2003

1. Nobody likes Tom Waits. People just say they do because they think it makes them sound hip and intellectual.
Wrong. I actually like Tom Waits alot. His writing and lyrics are amazing. His singing has gotten progressively worse over the years though, but that adds to his charm.

2. Say what you want about Cheap Trick, "Surrender" is still a cool song.
No, it's an amazing song.

3. The Donnas are the Ramones without the sense of humor or irony.
Very true, but I still like em.

4. Women only say they like Janis Joplin because they think it makes them seem rebellious. None of them actually own a Joplin CD.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

5. The last 10 years of country and western is really just pop music with a twangy accent.
Until Hank III came along.

6. For the record, Billy Joel sucks! He write pablum puking crap pop music.
Billy Joel was one of the most amazing song writers, until he gave up coke.

7. Sting,Bono,and Streisand have all made the same mistake. They think fame equals intelligence.
What I really want to know is, where did these people think that we actually give a shit about them?

8. If Kylie,Britney,Madonna,Shania,and Gwen didnt have great bodies they would be waiting tables.
DING DING DING! You sir are correct. Although there is something to be said about each of them besides their bodies. None of their voices are all that great.

9. Elvis Costello is the best rock lyricist ever. period.
In your head, sure.

10. QOTSA couldn't get arrested before Dave Grohl, and now that he is gone will return to that status.
Actually that's quite untrue. Nick has been arrested several times in the past for playing onstage naked, and for fighting.

11. Punk ended 15 years ago. let it go.posers!
The music ended, yes. But the "punk" attitude will live on forever.

12. Run DMC's "King of Rock", was the pinnacle of rap.
You nailed this one....

13. If it wasnt for mullet headed jersey teens and thier like there would be no heavy metal. You hate your parents and are bored, we get it.
It all depends on how you classify heavy metal.

14.If you are in a bar and play any track from "Bat Out of Hell" on the jukebox you are a fucking loser and should be beaten to death with your own limbs.
Meatloaf should be outlawed from all radios and jukeboxes. Listen to it in your own homes people.

15. Same is true if you yell, "get fucked, get laid!!" when listening to "Mony Mony" by Tommy James and the Shondells.
Why would anyone yell that?

16. Forget the age and the crappy new music, Springsteen and the Stones are still give the best arena shows.
Why would I want to go to a GREAT arena show if I hate the music?

17. WFUV is New York's best music station by far.
Wouldn't know, I never listened. Do they have a website?

18. Anyone who thinks Eddie Van Halen belongs in a list of the top 20 guitar players knows nothing about guitars or how to play them.
He's fast. That's about it.

19. Prince is the best studio producer ever.
Agreed

20. Phish sucks.
I actually like SOME of their stuff. But most of it just gives me a headache.

- LZMF1 - 02-14-2003

Quote:
Quote:
18. Anyone who thinks Eddie Van Halen belongs in a list of the top 20 guitar players knows nothing about guitars or how to play them.

randy rhodes owns (owned) eddie van halen

you forgot to mention steve vai, joe satriani, and several others.....

- GonzoStyle - 02-14-2003

I agree about Eddie Van Halen, I disagree about Elvis Costello.

Billy Joel ever since 'River Of Dreams' has been sad and pathetic, I will agree.

As far as a pinacle to rap, I don't think there has been one truthfully.

There have been artists who have saved or furthered hip hop.

Tupac was a hip hop artist as were Run DMC. Rap and Hip Hop are totally different genres, Tupac considered himself a hip hop artists and todays trash like Nelly, Ja Rule and others he would consider Rappers, he called it R.A.P - Really Awful Pop.

Yes Run DMC were the most influential, they took it to the mainstream.

Then Came Public Enemy they took it and made it meaningful. Like early Rock N' Roll they took it from nice sounding music with catchy lyrics, to actually meaningful music like when the beatles came along and then everyone else followed suit. Music with a concept and not just elvis singing about a hound dog.

Then NWA totally changed the game, Dre took it further with the Chronic.

Tupac took it to its highest forms.

After 97 when both big and pac were dead there was a lull till eminem came along.

Eminem is all of them mixed together, he has pacs anger, he has the message. Most important he is taking Rap even further, like DMC before him, he is the raps Elvis he is taking it to heights never seen before, unlike elvis he has talent though beyond just a voice and a pretty face. He is breaking down walls and barriers, he is bring sick amounts of press and fans to the hip hop industry and is benefiting everyone.

Also to add to Arpi's list

Jim Morrison was NOT a poet.

- virgingrrl - 02-14-2003

Quote:15. Same is true if you yell, "get fucked, get laid!!" when listening to "Mony Mony" by Tommy James and the Shondells.
Why would anyone yell that?

it was funny when i was in high school, and we would get drunk at fancy-dancy sweet 16 parties, and parents thought we were out of control. Undecided

- LyricalGomez - 02-14-2003

Quote:As far as a pinacle to rap, I don't think there has been one truthfully.

There have been artists who have saved or furthered hip hop.

Tupac was a hip hop artist as were Run DMC. Rap and Hip Hop are totally different genres, Tupac considered himself a hip hop artists and todays trash like Nelly, Ja Rule and others he would consider Rappers, he called it R.A.P - Really Awful Pop.

Yes Run DMC were the most influential, they took it to the mainstream.

Then Came Public Enemy they took it and made it meaningful. Like early Rock N' Roll they took it from nice sounding music with catchy lyrics, to actually meaningful music like when the beatles came along and then everyone else followed suit. Music with a concept and not just elvis singing about a hound dog.

Then NWA totally changed the game, Dre took it further with the Chronic.

Tupac took it to its highest forms.

After 97 when both big and pac were dead there was a lull till eminem came along.

Eminem is all of them mixed together, he has pacs anger, he has the message. Most important he is taking Rap even further, like DMC before him, he is the raps Elvis he is taking it to heights never seen before, unlike elvis he has talent though beyond just a voice and a pretty face. He is breaking down walls and barriers, he is bring sick amounts of press and fans to the hip hop industry and is benefiting everyone.

:loveya:

- Mad - 02-14-2003

Gomez do you have a PHD in music or what?

I'm on my way to it

- Mad - 02-14-2003

Good for you. Going to be a professor or filthy stinking rich mega producer?

Dirt poor opera singer :-(

Gomez and I will pioneer the new genre of music called "Hip Hopera".

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 02-14-2003

22. P-diddy sucks

But P Diddy does

and he

and then

Yeah, let's shoot him and rid the world of him

Quote:Gomez and I will pioneer the new genre of music called "Hip Hopera".

It could work

Actually I love Puffy.

Puffy is a genius when it comes to promotion, selling, creating, marketing, finding talent, and a great business mind.

As far as rap, he's good in small helpings, as a guest on songs he is a good thing. When he goes off and makes whole albums, that is where the trouble lies.

In your hip-hoprea would you do the world a favor and keep away from people who say "Ma-mi" 8 times in one sentence? Thank you...

it's catchy.

Puffy just followed the track laid down by Russel Simmons

If he suddenlly disappeared, do you think anyone would really care?

I want you Mami, come over here mami, I need to talk to you for a second mami, I rhyme words with themselves Mami, I want you to change my diaper mami, draw me a bath mami, feed me mami, look I'm gonna drop another rhyme mami, woo hoo mami....
Confuseduicide: Confuseduicide: Confuseduicide: