CDIH
What book are you reading? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What book are you reading? (/showthread.php?tid=6293)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- Danked - 05-13-2003

Clean, bright page. Let's start anew.

- Arpikarhu - 05-13-2003

fair enough :toast:

- Sweet Angel - 05-13-2003

I'm currently reading "Back in Control" -- how to get control of your kids.

And awaiting the arrival of my new Harry Potter book in June.

Oh yeah, and I read "Forever" when I was younger too. I remember asking my mom what a "cherry" was and how you "popped" it.

Edited By Sweet Angel on 1052858168

- GonzoStyle - 05-16-2003

I am currently reading 'the murder of bob crane'

It's a pretty fascinating, in depth and well written account of the last days and murder of crane. So far, so good.

- Zootybang - 05-16-2003

I just finished " Ghost soldiers". It's about the men who rescued the last survivors of the Bataan death march during WWII. Pretty gritty stuff.
Also " The black house" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It's the continuation of "The Talisman" , a book they wrote together like 20 years ago, and my personal favorite read.

- GonzoStyle - 05-16-2003

I was actually thinking of starting this post a couple weeks ago. I also was talking with a friend who doesn't read much if at all, he asked me what my top 10 favorite books were. I never really thought of it, I know my favorite book of all time is 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoyevsky.

I been trying to compile a top 10 list but I am hard up to narrow it down, for sure I know a few have to be in it. Macbeth, Catcher in the rye, Paradise Lost, the standards which I love. But I think they'd be too complicated for him to start with. Catcher wouldnt be too hard to read though, just understanding it might be hard.

- Gooch - 05-16-2003

Just read Nelson DeMille's Up Country which was excellent. I'm halfway thru Paluinuk's Lulleby...which is putting me to sleep. Next is something from the bookpile of "not read yet"...either Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, John Adams Bio, or something else less massive.

- Is Don on the phone? - 05-16-2003

Quote:I know my favorite book of all time is 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoyevsky

I re-read that before (and during) my tour in Russia. It was cool to be in St. Petersburg, and see things that Dostoyevsky described. You can actually go to the flat where the vic lived; that's pretty cool.

I am currently reading "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson - It tells the tale of the Chicago Exhibition at the turn of the century, and one of America's earliest serial killers, who lured many of his victims from the many single women who arrived in Chicago to work at the fair.

- Danked - 05-16-2003

I have both Notes From The Underground and Crime and Punishment which I purchased at a used bookstore up in VT, I haven't read either of them yet. I think I'll tackle Underground first because I remember reading about some structural parallels between that and Kerouac's The Subterraneans when I was part of the Beat newsgroup. I'm curious.

- Is Don on the phone? - 05-17-2003

Kerouac rocks... Loved "On The Road"

And btw, I am a big fan of Nelson DeMille. I met him at a signing he did, and had a great conversation (short line, so we got to spend a little time gabbing, it was very cool).

His best was "The Lion's Game" - If you havn't read it, get it. You may want to read "Plum Island" first, but it's not totally necessary. Okay, I take that back, read "Plum Island" too, because John Corey is a great character.

- GonzoStyle - 05-17-2003

Quote:when I was part of the Beat newsgroup.
:rofl: :rofl:

- Danked - 05-17-2003

It's sad really.

really.

- Danked - 05-17-2003

I was young and foolish.

I bet thats your answer to our failing romance!!!

I read Choke by Paluinuk, it dragged massivly in the middle but the begining and end were amazing. I was thinking of reading Lullaby but gooch's enthusiasm kinda put me off on it now.

- diceisgod - 05-17-2003

I am reading a generic sociology text book currently. It's amazing how they get away with calling this science.

- LyricalGomez - 05-17-2003

Quote:Theres a 5/10 game here i play in that i do pretty well in, i've played the Pink Game at the Trop a bunch of times too. My broke college student ass doesn't have a grand to throw on the table at one time though.

If here means Maryland where is this wonderful place? I'm relegated to play the occasional game with some friends, and I refuse to play online because half the fun is reading your opponents.

Oh yeah, I'm reading Nietzsche - The Antichrist

- Gooch - 05-17-2003

Chuck's best book is Fight Club. Nothing else he does hits the mark like that book did. Lullabye is just flat.

arpi and ladi were all lovey dovey, how cute.

- Arpikarhu - 05-17-2003

nelson demille is summer reading for morons. shame on you!

i am re-reading a few selections by kinky friedman