CDIH
Mattingly in a yankee uniform again - its all over - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Mattingly in a yankee uniform again - its all over (/showthread.php?tid=7712)

Pages: 1 2 3

- GonzoStyle - 11-05-2003

The Sleeper Wrote:
Quote:cause former players who take over as managers do so well.
yea cause Joe Torre didn't play or anything
exceptions to the rule always exist but for the most part former players who become managers do not do as well.

Its usually the scrub players who do well as managers. Mainly because they sucked as players and spent most of their time on the bench watching the managers.

Mattingly isnt great but hes no scrub.

Great players make horrible managers cause they are geniuses as far as their positions but it ends there. Scrub players try to learn as many positions as possible.

Pete Rose sucked as a manger, so did Yogi, as well as Ty Cobb. All were amazing players, among the tops of all time.

Torre was a scrub player.

I did a thesis on this once.

- The Sleeper - 11-05-2003

Joe Torre was far from a scrub. He'd be more of an exception to your rule. You are dissapointing me in this thread.

- GonzoStyle - 11-05-2003

Torre was a fuckin scrub.

- The Sleeper - 11-05-2003

yea catchers who get 137 RBIs in a season are total scrubs. when was the last time Piazza did that?

- GonzoStyle - 11-06-2003

Roger Maris hit 60 home runs in a season.

- The Sleeper - 11-06-2003

damn, if he had just hit another one he would've broken that record!

You got me, I am sorry 61*.

But my point stands.

No it doesn't. Rafael Belliard is a scrub, Torre has 5 years of over 100 RBIs and ended up with over 250 HRs in his career. For a catcher, those are amazing numbers. Roger Maris was a solid player too. Your best comeback would've been "Brady Anderson had 50 HRs in a season", but even then, I am right.

- Keyser Soze - 11-06-2003

pawowned-adid!

Maris was solid for 2 years, torre had a couple good years.

You wont see Torres name on a best of list.

maybe not a scrub but not exceptional.

Quote:maybe not a scrub but not exceptional.
you just said that about Mattingly before, yet that's the reason he won't be a good manager. Your argument was better when you said Torre was an exception to the rule, otherwise you are just grasping at straws now.

If you can honestly say you would remember Torre as a player if not for him being a manager you are lying, he was ok but not great.

Ok torre is the exception, happy!!

Yes, although there are probably other exceptions as well. And I think i would've remembered Joe Torre's playing career better if i was born before he retired.