CDIH
UFC part deux - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: UFC part deux (/showthread.php?tid=12269)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Gooch - 12-28-2006

A man who took Fedor, the #1 heavyweight in the world, to the brink and a decision. He also knocked out Wanderlei Silva a month or two ago with a viscious kick to the head...laid him out.

- Gooch - 12-28-2006

- UFC ON HBO; WEC ON VERSUS
Thursday, December 28, 2006 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

A few slim years ago the Ultimate Fighting Championship, nary any mixed martial arts organization, couldn’t land a television deal unless they were willing to shell out the bucks to suffocate in the late night air alongside Tony Little and Ginsu.

Despite many promised deals and miscues, the UFC stuck to their guns and never gave in to the networks that wanted them to pay for air time, believing that they had a product that, once given a chance, could stand on it’s own in the ever fickle television market. Today the same networks that once shunned MMA can’t seem to get on board fast enough.

The UFC has taken over Spike TV, FSN airs both the International Fight League and Pride Fighting Championships, and the ink is still wet on Showtime’s deal to air the newly formed EliteXC. But this appears only to be the jumping off point in America.

It has been common knowledge for quite some time that the UFC has been courting HBO, the premier premium cable television network. That relationship now appears to be on the verge of consummation. In comments made to Pedro Fernandez of RingTalk.com, HBO’s Larry Merchant stated, “People look at it (UFC) as real wrestling. And next year HBO and Showtime, they both will test the waters and see if this works. I don't know what Showtime is doing, but we'll do four and see how it goes." Merchant also indicated to Fernandez that if the response is good, HBO was prepared to consider airing more than the initial four broadcasts.

- Charles Manson - 12-31-2006

2 hours til the main event..definitely checking that out tonight

- Galt - 12-31-2006

there is only one bar in the whole of NYC that is showing this event.

that's because it's a filth pot

- Galt - 12-31-2006

Philly is the anus of the country.

wanna put your finger's up it, FREAK!

it's.....TIIIIIIME!!!

haha tito got beat like a govt mule

- Galt - 12-31-2006

Granted, Ortiz was getting his ass handed to him that entire fight and it was only a matter of time before Lidell ended it (or won in a decision from a boring fight) but that fight shouldn't have been stopped. Liddell was not landing any of those punches

- Gooch - 12-31-2006

I would have liked it to go longer. Tito's mistake is once he landed that punch that backed liddell up, then he put more punches instead of TAKING Liddell down...which he could have. Liddell is just too strong for Tito to punch out...and that, in two fights, was his mistake. Tito did a great job staying alive and getting a couple in...but his takedowns, as Couture plainly said, were too tentative and he didn't use his punches enough to create better takedown possiblities. Tito isn't good enough vs an elite puncher who has great takedown defense.

But how about Forrest getting his block knocked off. Ooofffa. Jardine clobbered him and he sat there sobbing after the fight.

Leben got beat b/c he can't handle a good sub guy who can take a punch. He'd lose against Tanner also...anyone who has a good ground game will be his bane.

Next PPV, when Anderson Silva goes against Travis Lutter...watch another "puncher" have to deal with someone who wrestles...b/c Lutter has a valid shot. Silva is weak on subs.

Crocop was announced for Febs PPV, as was Rampage Jackson's debut along with GSP vs Matt Serra. Feb won't be TOO many surprises..but it will portend greatly on MMA

Arlovski punch of Pano was hilarious....that smack was so loud. Pano should have been ready when the ref said: "go". Cruz just held on to Arlovski's leg and left himself in his range...then BAM.

- Gooch - 12-31-2006

Galt: I think Nice Guy Eddie's shows them in NYC, plus the Playright Pub. I forgot to list Nice Guy Eddies.

- Gooch - 12-31-2006

FYI: Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic Signs Two-Year, Six-Fight Deal With UFC

And is quite capable, if Rampage fails to take out Chuck Liddell, of coming down in weight for Light Heavyweight.

- Gooch - 12-31-2006

In case nobody has seen when Rampage beat Liddell in 2003 over in Japan when a cocky Dana White brought him over and bet lots of cash Chuck would win.

<object><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VrAfwtpUZGc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

- BirdyP - 12-31-2006

I completely agree that Ortiz should have taken Liddell down after the punch got him. The fight definitely should not have been stopped and I think that really is going to taint this fight.

- Gooch - 01-02-2007

GSP is out of UFC 67 (Feb 3rd). Injured himself while training (knee).

- Gooch - 01-09-2007

Report: HBO to Televise Three UFC Cards in 2007
2007Monday, January 08, 2007

HBO will televise three Ultimate Fighting Championship cards in 2007 and holds an option for three more broadcasts, respected boxing scribe Thomas Hauser reported Monday. According to the report on SecondsOut.com, HBO's UFC cards will air at midnight on to-be-determined dates.

Hauser's report confirms the long-rumored deal between HBO and UFC, though the agreement did not come without objections from HBO Sports President Ross Greenberg. "He did everything in his power not to televise mixed martial arts," Hauser wrote of Greenberg. "But in the end, he had no choice."

Speaking last week with Hauser, Greenberg said he's not a "big" fan of the UFC — and one would presume MMA — but also conceded he wasn't much of a boxing fan when he joined HBO. "I recognize the fact that UFC appeals to a fan base and demographic that boxing doesn't have right now," Greenberg told Hauser.

Greenberg's predecessor, Seth Abraham, voiced his displeasure to Hauser over UFC's association with HBO.

"I think it's ridiculous for HBO to televise UFC," Abraham said. "When I was at HBO, we had discussions once or twice a year about professional wrestling. We all agreed that it would get good ratings and we also agreed that it would tarnish our boxing franchise. I feel the same way about UFC. Boxing has a storied history. When HBO attaches itself to boxing, it attaches itself to Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali. It attaches itself to history, achievement, and glory. UFC has none of those things, and it will tarnish HBO's boxing franchise. Will UFC get good ratings? Probably. But so would naked boxing."

Despite the wishes of HBO's current and former sports chiefs, HBO chairman Chris Albrecht, hoping to court younger viewers to the premium cable network, "insisted on the telecasts," Hauser reported, after being pitched by UFC-hired Hollywood agent Ari Emanuel.

- Charles Manson - 01-09-2007

abraham sounds like a crotchety ole gonzostyle

- Gooch - 01-09-2007

more like arpi after a broadway binge.

- Charles Manson - 01-09-2007

i was going to drop hbo but i guess i'll keep it now but i still hate paying $140 a month.