CDIH
Mets get Carlos Delgado - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Mets get Carlos Delgado (/showthread.php?tid=10800)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Galt - 11-28-2005

So what? I don't understand your obsession with whether someone is a DH or a position player. Ortiz has played in the field when he needs to and has done fine. And at this point, there's a good chance Ortiz could be the Sox 1B this year. He's got a .990 fielding percentage vs. Delgado's .992 so he's clearly as good....if not better!

And Delgado isn't winning any games because of his fielding. I can understand giving Derek Lee a bump because of fielding, or Arod, but just being a warm body at a position doesn't give a meaningful advantage when evaluating a player.

- The Jays - 11-28-2005

but Ortiz doesn't field

- Galt - 11-28-2005

the big yellow one is the sun.

- The Jays - 11-28-2005

ortiz's three year fielding average speaks a different story than that .990

- Keyser Soze - 11-28-2005

this arguement has strayed from my original statement in response to insertwiderecieverherekids question would i rather have manny/ortiz over delgado. my response was delgado and ortiz are interchangable based on last years numbers, career numbers, 3 year averages, career averages, etc....

but in the case of the mets, i'd give delgado a slight edge because he has more experience playing the position. i'd rather have manny over either of them.

if i really wanted to make your head spin, i'd predict taking brian giles out of petco could make him a better player than either delgado, ortiz, or manny....

from baseballanalysts.com...

"As we pointed out in our free agent series, "the ten-year veteran has essentially been a .300/.400/.550 hitter over the course of his career while averaging 100 R/RBI/BB and 30 HR per 162 games." Aware that Giles' power totals have receded the past few years, we also drilled down and noticed that his road stats ranked 7th in AVG (.333), 1st in OBP (.463), and 20th in SLG (.545), "while placing 6th in OPS behind only Derrek Lee, Jason Bay, Travis Hafner, Albert Pujols, and Miguel Cabrera. Put another way, Brian outproduced Carlos Delgado, David Ortiz, Alex Rodriguez, Vladimir Guerrero, Andruw Jones, and Manny Ramirez on the road." I forgot to mention last time around that these six players are averaging about $15M per year and $12M even if you exclude A-Rod. This information seems appropro now."

- Keyser Soze - 11-28-2005

Furthermore.....

Baseball-Reference.com - David Ortiz

Similar Batters through Age 29
Compare Stats

1. Mo Vaughn (941)
2. Richie Sexson (931)
3. Ryan Klesko (919)
4. Lee May (918)
5. Danny Tartabull (916)
6. Tino Martinez (916)
7. Tim Salmon (914)
8. Jason Giambi (911)
9. Carlos Delgado (911)
10. Tony Clark (906)

- The Sleeper - 11-28-2005

the mets should've signed danny tartabull

- The Jays - 11-28-2005

give me three random years which support your argument

- Bloody Anus - 11-29-2005

The point I was trying to make is that comparing Delgado to Ortiz is meaningless because Delgado has been a perennial 30-100 guy for the last 10 years, whereas Ortiz has only for the last 3. Delgado's numbers the last 3 years, while still terrific, have not been where they once were. Meanwhile, Ortiz has improved dramatically in each of the last 3 seasons; the first seasons of his career in which he has been a 30-100 hitter. Furthermore, Ortiz is 3 years younger than Delgado and at this point in their careers, he has a much higher ceiling than Delgado.

- The Jays - 11-29-2005

It's so easy to instigate debate.

- Keyser Soze - 11-29-2005

Bloody, I agree with everything you have said. Again, my statement has been and still is, they are similar players at this point and time statistically.

Quote:As far as what Hedcold said, I'm not considering contracts and length of career, i'm simply comparing the players as they are now and what they would do for a team in 2006. I would certainly take Delgado over Sheffield in a deal of 3-4 years.

Ortiz, 4 years younger than Delgado of course has a higher ceiling and may well surpass Delgado at some point. If I was given the choice of which player I would take in a 4 year deal I would certainly take Ortiz. That was never the point I was making.