CDIH
Gay Marriage - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Gay Marriage (/showthread.php?tid=8556)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

- Arpikarhu - 02-20-2004

i bet jays is now pacing the house, crying, and muttering curse words. i make him very mad.
it often happens to the dumb ones

- The Jays - 02-20-2004

Did I phrase my question wrong? What rights does a marriage provide a couple that a civil union doesnt? Is that not relevant to the discussion? I've never been married, I've never been in a civil union, I never bothered to ask my parents what benefits my parents get for being married. Can I not ask this question? What's the problem?

- GonzoStyle - 02-20-2004

Galt Wrote:there was a thread somewhere where Laz posted a Bud Light faces thing of the Sleeper Interview. I'd be interested to see it. But can't find it. I like those bud light faces things. It's not in the making faces thread though.

And Jays, I don't know what the difference is. Maybe Google would.
The sleeper interview

- Arpikarhu - 02-20-2004

The Jays Wrote:Did I phrase my question wrong? What rights does a marriage provide a couple that a civil union doesnt? Is that not relevant to the discussion? I've never been married, I've never been in a civil union, I never bothered to ask my parents what benefits my parents get for being married. Can I not ask this question? What's the problem?
the problem is that you are ignorant and uninformed. hope that helped. :thumbs-up:

In essecne civil unions are basically like water fountains for coloreds, it keeps gay marriages seperate from the "right" way of doing things in the eyes of the majority of people.

Also it is still only recognized in vermont, so your civil union with your same sex lover will not be recognized elsewhere as of today.

- The Jays - 02-20-2004

Arpikarhu Wrote:
The Jays Wrote:Did I phrase my question wrong? What rights does a marriage provide a couple that a civil union doesnt? Is that not relevant to the discussion? I've never been married, I've never been in a civil union, I never bothered to ask my parents what benefits my parents get for being married. Can I not ask this question? What's the problem?
the problem is that you are ignorant and uninformed. hope that helped. :thumbs-up:
And yet a third reply with no answer to my question.

You know what? Lemme go talk to the wall. The wall's about 40 years old, it's seen alot of stuff, it's gotta know the answer to my question. I'll be back after the conversation.

- I steal watermelons - 02-20-2004

Whats Health Insurance?????????

Ha ha ha ha

But I guess we don't have any really cool stealth bombers

The real issue is abuse. Whats keeping two straight guy roomates from tying the knot so he/she can get on his/her friends employers insurance.

- The Jays - 02-20-2004

Well, the conversation went like this.

"Hey wall, what's up?"

"....."

"So, What rights does a marriage provide a couple that a civil union doesnt? "

"..."

"..."

"Well, that was informative. Thank you."

Basically, the wall obviously knows about as much as you do. But thanks for your help.

GonzoStyle Wrote:In essecne civil unions are basically like water fountains for coloreds, it keeps gay marriages seperate from the "right" way of doing things in the eyes of the majority of people.

Also it is still only recognized in vermont, so your civil union with your same sex lover will not be recognized elsewhere as of today.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- Arpikarhu - 02-20-2004

The Jays Wrote:Well, the conversation went like this.

"Hey wall, what's up?"

"....."

"..."

"..."

Basically, the wall obviously knows about as much as you do. But thanks for your help.
you prove my point. only a moron would ask a wall a question
you do know walls cant talk, dont you? moron!

- The Jays - 02-20-2004

GonzoStyle Wrote:In essecne civil unions are basically like water fountains for coloreds, it keeps gay marriages seperate from the "right" way of doing things in the eyes of the majority of people.

So, there's no difference in the rights, it's just that there's two different institutions for basically the same thing, and there's only civil unions in Vermont as of right now?

Ok. Now, that was informative and helpful, and I thank you for responding to my question in a helpful manner.

For the most:

Quote:Parties to a civil union are given all the same benefits, protections and responsibilities under Vermont law, whether they derive from statute, administrative or court rule, policy, common law or any other source of civil law, as are granted to spouses in a marriage. These include:

Parties to a civil union shall be responsible for the support of one another to the same degree and in the same manner as prescribed under law for married persons.
The law of domestic relations, including annulment, separation and divorce, child custody and support, and property division and maintenance shall apply to parties to a civil union.
The rights of parties to a civil union, with respect to a child of whom either becomes the natural parent during the term of the civil union, shall be the same as those of a married couple, with respect to a child of whom either spouse becomes the natural parent during the marriage.
The following is a nonexclusive list of legal benefits, protections and responsibilities of spouses, which shall apply in like manner to parties to a civil union:

- The Jays - 02-20-2004

Arpikarhu Wrote:
The Jays Wrote:Well, the conversation went like this.

"Hey wall, what's up?"

"....."

"..."

"..."

you prove my point. only a moron would ask a wall a question
you do know walls cant talk, dont you? moron!
The only thing I do know about my wall is that it does more for me than you do.

- Arpikarhu - 02-20-2004

boo hoo! ::blubber blubber::::SOB!::

- Silera - 02-20-2004

He's an architect. Walls do talk to him.

- The Jays - 02-20-2004

I won't be an architect for two more years.

I am not sure but the big difference is that civil unions can't be performed in houses of worship, like a church or synagouge.

That was a major beef I believe since they also wanna do the whole dress up big church wedding deal but can't.

Silera Wrote:He's an architect. Walls do talk to him.
or depends on how drunk you are, years back I had a 3 hour conversation with my life size standee of Humphrey Bogart and he talked back to me.

- Arpikarhu - 02-20-2004

The Jays Wrote:I won't be an architect for two more years.
revel in the fact that you are a moron now.

- The Jays - 02-20-2004

Quote:I am not sure but the big difference is that civil unions can't be performed in houses of worship, like a church or synagouge.

That was a major beef I believe since they also wanna do the whole dress up big church wedding deal but can't.

But I can understand that. Catholicism believes that homosexuality is evil, and that the sacrament of marriage is to be held in accordance to Catholic law. Are you saying that, even in churchs of Christian faith that accept homosexuality, they cannot perform a civil union?