CDIH
new orleans - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: new orleans (/showthread.php?tid=10533)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- The Jays - 09-04-2005

Print Story: Guardsmen 'played cards' amid New Orleans chaos: police official on Yahoo! News
Back to Story - Help
Yahoo! News
Guardsmen 'played cards' amid New Orleans chaos: police official

Sat Sep 3, 5:58 PM ET

A top New Orleans police officer said that National Guard troops sat around playing cards while people died in the stricken city after Hurricane Katrina.

New Orleans deputy police commander W.S. Riley launched a bitter attack on the federal response to the disaster though he praised the way the evacuation was eventually handled.

His remarks fuelled controversy over the government's handling of events during five days when New Orleans succumbed to lawlessness after Katrina swamped the city's flood defenses.

The National Guard commander, Lieutenant General Steven Blum, said the reservist force was slow to move troops into New Orleans because it did not anticipate the collapse of the city's police force.

But Riley said that for the first three days after Monday's storm, which is believed to have killed several thousand people, the police and fire departments and some volunteers had been alone in trying to rescue people.

"We expected a lot more support from the federal government. We expected the government to respond within 24 hours. The first three days we had no assistance," he told AFP in an interview.

Riley went on: "We have been fired on with automatic weapons. We still have some thugs around. My biggest disappointment is with the federal government and the National Guard.

"The guard arrived 48 hours after the hurricane with 40 trucks. They drove their trucks in and went to sleep.

"For 72 hours this police department and the fire department and handful of citizens were alone rescuing people. We have people who died while the National Guard sat and played cards. I understand why we are not winning the war in Iraq if this is what we have."

Riley said there is "a semblance of organisation now."

"The military is here and they have done an excellent job with the evacuation" of the tens of thousands of people stranded in the city.

The National Guard commander said the city police force was left with only a third of its pre-storm strength.

"The real issue, particularly in New Orleans, is that no one anticipated the disintegration or the erosion of the civilian police force in New Orleans," Blum told reporters in Washington.

"Once that assessment was made ... then the requirement became obvious," he said. "And that's when we started flowing military police into the theatre."

On Friday, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin denounced the slow federal response as too little, too late, charging that promised troops had not arrived in time.

"Now get off your asses and let's do something and fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country," the mayor said in remarks aired on CNN.

Blum said that since Thursday some 7,000 National Guard and military police had moved into the city. President George W. Bush on Saturday ordered an additional 7,000 active duty and reserve ground troops.

Blum said any suggestion that the National Guard had not performed well or was late was a "low blow".

The initial priority of the Louisiana and Mississippi National Guard forces was disaster relief, not law enforcement, because they expected the police to handle that, he said.

The police commander was unable to give a death toll for New Orleans.

"We have bodies all over the city. A federal mortuary team was supposed to come in within 24 hours. We haven't seen them. It is inhumane. This is just not America."

Riley said he did not even know how many police remained from a normal force of 1,700.

"Many officers lost their homes or their families and there are many we have not heard from. Some officers could not handle the pressure and left. I don't know if we have 800 or thousands today."

- Galt - 09-04-2005

The Hannity Colmes thing was pretty bad. I still say that this was caused more by inaction and ill-preparation BEFORE the hurricane more than after the hurricane. And yes, this administration is at fault in either case.

I will admit that my comment after Jays' post (not really to Jays' post) was admittedly ignorant about the specific situation, it was more a broad comment about how any time any situation happens people complain about whatever action is taken, though no alternatives are given. "He did shitty". "well, what should he have done?" "Oh, I don't know, but he sucks".

And just because, I have no regard for anyone else on the planet other than me or those directly close to me, I love rich people, and I don't think anyone has the right to anything, doesn't mean that I like George Bush. I don't know if I've ever said a positive thing about him, so I really dont' know how I was branded this giant Bush apologist/supporter.

I guess I just hate complainers, and even when it's a warranted compaint, I stil have my knee-jerk reaction.

All that said, I haven't lost a wink of sleep over all this.

- The Jays - 09-04-2005

You will, once you realize how much this begins to affect the American economy.

- Gooch - 09-04-2005

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://lootasnickers.ytmnd.com/">http://lootasnickers.ytmnd.com/</a><!-- m -->

- Arpikarhu - 09-04-2005

1. nice use of the link function

2. weak execution and tired premise

- The Jays - 09-05-2005

Key points to remember.

1) Evavacuation order given once storm became Cat 5.
2) New Orleans relocated people to the correct locations.
3) FEMA and the National Guard were not deployed quickly enough, nor was other states National Guard ableto get to the state.
4) Mayor had access to all those buses. Problem is, the license system for driving is divided between how much weight a driver can transport safely. Most bus drivers transport children; thus, they have no license to safely drive a bus of adults. Therefor, no qualified individuals to drive people away.
5) Anything above a Cat 3 could break the levee. Not immediately, but by rising collecting flood water.
6) New Orleans has lots of drug addicts. People whose heroin and cocaine connections are either dead or in Baton Rouge. Some of them have weapons. It's been days since they did drugs.
7) The White House is quick to blame the local officials. For not preparing for the levee breaking, and getting people out. Nagrin could sure use some licensed drivers. Meanwhile Condaleeza Rice watched Spamalot.
8) The number one job of the government is to protect and preserve the lives of people. From what I hear from the White House, that's not the truth. The job apparently is to come when after the state has begged them to help.

- drusilla - 09-05-2005

The Jays Wrote:7) The White House is quick to blame the local officials. For not preparing for the levee breaking, and getting people out. Nagrin could sure use some licensed drivers. Meanwhile Condaleeza Rice watched Spamalot.
this morning on today i watched an interview with ray nagrin & some stupid chick reporter. she kept asking him why didn't he act quickly, or why didn't he do anything before the hurricane hit. he was negating everything she said in a nice & calm manner, but i could see in his eyes that he wanted to knock the bitch out for making him seem like an asshole who did nothing correctly.

i was getting annoyed at her for him.

Edited By drusilla on 1125889408

- Galt - 09-05-2005

One of the things that we libertarians believe is that the number 1 job of the federal government is to protect the interests of the US overseas. The number 1 job of the states is to protect the lives of the individuals in those states.

- Mad - 09-05-2005

Never vote for any minoritys, because they can never do as good a job as whitey.

- The Jays - 09-05-2005

Galt Wrote:One of the things that we libertarians believe is that the number 1 job of the federal government is to protect the interests of the US overseas. The number 1 job of the states is to protect the lives of the individuals in those states.
So, I guess that's more of an excuse for them to sit back and basically get begged to come in.

What the fuck is supposed to happen when your entire fucking state is destroyed? Who exactly is suppose to protect the people when the state does not have the ability to preserve the people, say, like when a huge fucking hurricane comes and does exactly what was considered one of the top three predicted catastrophes?

There was no infrastructure in place to transport people who could not get out on their own. Look how much they've raised gas prices. You think the people there have cars? They get arround on mass transit. And there werenot enough people to drive them out of town. So they were told to follow the proedure, go to the convention center, go to the superdome, and you'll get help. Then they left them there.

George Bush came on Friday, did a couple photo ops where it looked like he was giving food, and then he left. Shit didn't get started until late Friday night.

- The Sleeper - 09-05-2005

i don't think there's any stipulation in liberterian ideology about natural disasters other than it's cool to cash in on them

- Mad - 09-05-2005

The lesson is that you can never put all your chips on any form of government to protect you, that is always up to you. Have at least a weeks worth of supplies and firearms to defend yourself. Also a tent, sleeping bag, clothes, personal hygiene stuff and dehydrated food with proper cooking tools.

The sheep were lead to slaughter when they let the wolves out of prison and then locked them all in the slaughterhouse. They also disarmed people before locking them in and didn't let them out. Fools for putting their trust in others.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 09-05-2005

Mad Wrote:Have at least a weeks worth of supplies and firearms to defend yourself. Also a tent, sleeping bag, clothes, personal hygiene stuff and dehydrated food with proper cooking tools.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

- Mad - 09-05-2005

Forgot to add at least a gallon of water for each person per day. Bleach (unscented) is also a very useful tool in sanitizing water, cleaning or using as a self defense tool, throw it in someones eyes and see how they scream.

dont forget about rope. what are you gonna hang blacks with? CMON!

- Mad - 09-05-2005

Rope is too heavy, 550 para cord, also a nice field knife, multi tool and ammo. Some sort of caffeine pills would be helpful, forget any of the dope pills though one has to stay sharp for the spooks in the night. Let the savage underclass loot then just kill them as they leave and take whatever you need from them.

- The Jays - 09-05-2005

and then we'll have meat for the evening!

take everything but their souls. obviously because they are born without them.

- The Jays - 09-05-2005

Throw the teabags overboard, baby!

- The Jays - 09-05-2005

Galt Wrote:One of the things that we libertarians believe is that the number 1 job of the federal government is to protect the interests of the US overseas. The number 1 job of the states is to protect the lives of the individuals in those states.
Here's one more for ya.

Quote:Tracking Katrina: Blanco Requests Federal State of Emergency

Saturday, August 27, 2005

From the NewsChannel 6 Storm Spotting Team:

Governor Blanco requested $9,000,000 and a federal state of emergency declared Saturday. She sent the following letter to President Bush:

Dear Mr. President:

Under the provisions of Section 501 (a) of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 5121-5206 (Stafford Act), and implemented by 44 CFR § 206.35, I request that you declare an emergency for the State of Louisiana due to Hurricane Katrina for the time period beginning August 26, 2005, and continuing. The affected areas are all the southeastern parishes including the New Orleans Metropolitan area and the mid state Interstate I-49 corridor and northern parishes along the I-20 corridor that are accepting the thousands of citizens evacuating from the areas expecting to be flooded as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

In response to the situation I have taken appropriate action under State law and directed the execution of the State Emergency Plan on August 26, 2005 in accordance with Section 501 (a) of the Stafford Act. A State of Emergency has been issued for the State in order to support the evacuations of the coastal areas in accordance with our State Evacuation Plan and the remainder of the state to support the State Special Needs and Sheltering Plan.

Pursuant to 44 CFR § 206.35, I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal.

Preliminary estimates of the types and amount of emergency assistance needed under the Stafford Act, and emergency assistance from certain Federal agencies under other statutory authorities are tabulated in Enclosure A.

The following information is furnished on the nature and amount of State and local resources that have been or will be used to alleviate the conditions of this emergency:
. Department of Social Services (DSS): Opening (3) Special Need Shelters (SNS) and establishing (3) on Standby.
. Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH): Opening (3) Shelters and establishing (3) on Standby.
. Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (OHSEP): Providing generators and support staff for SNS and Public Shelters.
. Louisiana State Police (LSP): Providing support for the phased evacuation of the coastal areas.
. Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (WLF): Supporting the evacuation of the affected population and preparing for Search and Rescue Missions.

Mr. President
Page Two
August 27, 2005

. Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD): Coordinating traffic flow and management of the evacuations routes with local officials and the State of Mississippi.

The following information is furnished on efforts and resources of other Federal agencies, which have been or will be used in responding to this incident:
. FEMA ERT-A Team en-route.

I certify that for this emergency, the State and local governments will assume all applicable non-Federal share of costs required by the Stafford Act.

I request Direct Federal assistance for work and services to save lives and protect property.

(a) List any reasons State and local government cannot perform or contract for performance, (if applicable).

(b) Specify the type of assistance requested.

In accordance with 44 CFR § 206.208, the State of Louisiana agrees that it will, with respect to Direct Federal assistance:

1. Provide without cost to the United States all lands, easement, and rights-of-ways necessary to accomplish the approved work.

2. Hold and save the United States free from damages due to the requested work, and shall indemnify the Federal Government against any claims arising from such work;

3. Provide reimbursement to FEMA for the non-Federal share of the cost of such work in accordance with the provisions of the FEMA-State Agreement; and

4. Assist the performing Federal agency in all support and local jurisdictional matters.

In addition, I anticipate the need for debris removal, which poses an immediate threat to lives, public health, and safety.

Pursuant to Sections 502 and 407 of the Stafford Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 5192 & 5173, the State agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the United States of America for any claims arising from the removal of debris or wreckage for this disaster. The State agrees that debris removal from public and private property will not occur until the landowner signs an unconditional authorization for the removal of debris.

I have designated Mr. Art Jones as the State Coordinating Officer for this request. He will work with the Federal Emergency Management Agency in damage assessments and may provide further information or justification on my behalf.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Governor
Enclosure

This is last Saturday.

That video of Geraldo and Shepherd Smith was six days later.