CDIH
What are you reading? - I'm sure some of you read - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What are you reading? - I'm sure some of you read (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Paper Boy - 05-18-2002

i'm reading The Informers by Bret easton Ellis.

Why doesn't someone start one of those top twenty lists for books?

- AdolescentMasturbator - 05-18-2002

Got a CCNA exam test prep book. Also got the Black Jacobins about the Haitian Revolution and it being the hemisphere's second Republic.

- Arthur Dent - 05-20-2002

Quote:Why doesn't someone start one of those top twenty lists for books?
That's a really tough one. I've read far more books than I've ever seen movies.
Plus there are a lot of eclectic tastes on this board. I can see a huge list with a max of six votes for any book and a whole lot with only one or two votes.

- BeckyDC - 05-20-2002

U usually read Dean Koontz, but I got a book from the airport..The Long Walk..Stephen King. its ok..but hes no Dean.

- Sean Cold - 05-20-2002

I am on Star Wars: The New Rebellion. I readf through Children of the Jedi, Darsaber and The Crystal Star last week and they were horrible. The style of writing for those three books was just cringe worthy. I picked up over ten new SW books last week and still have alot to go. I guess I know what I will be reading all fuckin summer.

- Maynard - 05-20-2002

I'm reading The Plague by Albert Camus.

Haven't gotten into it too far, I've been to busy to read lately.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 05-20-2002

Quote:I'm reading The Plague by Albert Camus.

I read that in my philosophy class a few semesters ago, I liked it, but I think I would've liked it better if I had more time to digest it.

I'm reading The Great Gatsby for the 1000th time.

- Maynard - 05-20-2002

Quote:I read that in my philosophy class a few semesters ago, I liked it, but I think I would've liked it better if I had more time to digest it.
So read it again. It's not that long. I find that I read his books 3 or 4 times, once every few years because you get a different perspective each time.

Yea I was thinking of reading it again, but there's another book by him that my professor reccomended, he said it's one of the best books he's ever read, I wrote it down somewhere....

- Maynard - 05-20-2002

The Stranger?
The Fall?
The Myth Of Sisyphus?
The Rebel?
Exile And The Kingdom?
Camus : The Challenge of Dostoevsky? (this will be my next book I think.)
A Happy Death?
The First Man?
Resistance, Rebellion, and Death?

OK, thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited By Maynard on May 20 2002 at 2:01

- fbd - 05-20-2002

Quote:I am on Star Wars: The New Rebellion. I readf through Children of the Jedi, Darsaber and The Crystal Star last week and they were horrible.
you're stuck in the sucky books...from where "i, jedi" ends until the thrawn dulogy, it is pure suck, excluding a few books here and there, like "starfighters of admur".just close new rebellion now and get reading vector prime.its much better, and nothing happens in those other books

and i'm reding episode one now...its much better than the movie, since the movie starts around chapter 5 of the book and you get a lot more internal perspective

Edited By fbdlingfrg on May 20 2002 at 2:53

The Rebel....thanks now I don't have to look for my notebook from last semester. :-)

- Maynard - 05-20-2002

:thumbs-up:

I actually haven't read that one yet. That's about third down in my list of reading.

- Arthur Dent - 05-21-2002

Quote:and i'm reding episode one now...its much better than the movie, since the movie starts around chapter 5 of the book and you get a lot more internal perspective

The novelization is by Terry Brookes who is one of my all time favorite authors. If you like his writing style, check out:

Sword of Shanhara
Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold
Running with the Demons

Each one is the start of a series. RwtD is only a trilogy. The other two are much longer, but each book is a stand alone story, not like some fantasy series where you have to finish four or five books to read one story.

- Spitfire - 05-21-2002

I just started reading a book called Lost Science by Gerry Vassilatos in addition to Isis Unveiled...The book features biographies of scientists, inventors whose groundbreaking history-changing scientific breakthroughs would have changed history if it wasn't for government repression, monopolies and mainstream scientists.

the amazon.com synopsis describes it better than I can:
Quote:Gerry Vassilatos writes about the remarkable lives, astounding discoveries and incredible inventions of such famous people as Nikola Tesla, Dr. Royal Rife, T. T. Brown, and T. Henry Moray. Read about the aura research of Baron Karl von Reichenbach, the wireless of Antonio Meucci, the controlled fusion devices of Philo Farnsworth, the earth battery of Nathan Stubblefield and more. What were the twisted intrigues that surrounded the often deliberate attempts to stop this technology? Vassilatos claims that we are living hundreds of years behind our intended level of technology and that we must recapture this "lost science." Rediscover the legendary names of our suppressed scientific revolution and read about the remarkable lives, astounding discoveries and incredible inventions that would have produced a world of wonder. How did the aura research of Baron Karl von Reichenbach prove the vitalistic theory and frighten the greatest minds in Germany? How did the physiophone and wireless of Antonio Meucci predate both Bell and Marconi by decades? How does the earth battery technology of Nathan Stubblefield portend an unsuspected energy revolution? How did the geoaetheric engines of Nikola Tesla threaten the establishment of a fuel-dependent America? The microscopes and virus-destroying ray machines of Dr. Royal Rife provided the solution for every world-threatening disease. Why did the FDA and AMA together condemn this great man to a federal prison? The static crashes on telephone lines enabled Dr. Henry T. Moray to discover the reality of radiant space energy. Was the mysterious "Swedish stone," the powerful mineral Dr. Moray discovered, the very first historical instance in which stellar power was recognized and secured on earth? Why did the Air Force initially fund the gravitational warp research and warp-cloaking devices of T. Townsend Brown and then reject them? When the controlled fusion devices of Philo Farnsworth achieved the "break-even" point in 1967, why was the FUSOR project abruptly canceled by ITT? What were the twisted intrigues that surrounded these deliberate convolutions of history? Each chapter is a biographic treasure.

- fbd - 05-21-2002

i was just reading what dent wrote...i screwed up.i'm reading 2, not 1.1 was a great book, and i read all the shannara before that, even.i tried reading the magic kingdom series, but i gave up in the middle of the one where willow is pregnant.too boring for me

- Arthur Dent - 05-22-2002

fbd, if you didn't like that one, just skip to the next book in the Landover series. The series has a pretty good conclusion to it.

And if you liked the Shanhara series, than check out "The Voyage of the Jerle Shanhara". It's the first book of a new Shanhara series.

- Sean Cold - 05-22-2002

I am still slowly plodding my way through the Star Wars books, post ANH. Just finished The New Rebellion. Very good read if you like the continuing stories. A hell of alot better than the three previous shit fest I had to bother with. Now, starting up Assault At Selonia as a re read. Haven't read it in over 5 years and I am hazey on it.

- fbd - 05-22-2002

read voyage, read antrax(the sequel).i might try the last landover, since i finished clones yesterday.just have to make time to go get it

- drusilla - 05-31-2002

the idiots guide to tantric sex