CDIH
Am I becoming a hairy feminist? - Sexual inequity on the job - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Am I becoming a hairy feminist? - Sexual inequity on the job (/showthread.php?tid=10151)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Silera - 03-07-2005

I think I'm the last person that would consider making a charge of sexual discrimination, and keep arguing with myself that I'm possibly just a crabby bitch and over analyzing things. However, I started a new job about 3 weeks ago, and since the first week have felt EXTREMELY uncomfortable about the way the office is run, to the point that I've actually started keeping a list of annoyances.

I was hired as a requisitions officer, which means that I coordinate the billing process for all the active construction projects every month. Construction billing is more than just sending out an invoice, so the job is one of responsibility and accountability.

Within the first three weeks I have noticed the following -
- The controller consistently calls me on the intercom to come to his office to tell me inane shit that he could have said over the intercom.
- The controller has called me into his office on 2 occassions just to make him copies.
- There is a list up in the kitchen for kitchen clean up duty. Only the women in the office are on the list.
- There is a rotating schedule for reception coverage. Only the women in the office are on the schedule.

I feel that if I say anything to the effect that "I wasn't hired to make copies for anyone and cover the phones or clean the kitchen" I'll come off as a bitch that doesn't want to help around the office. However, I wasn't hired to be anyone's secretary and had I been told that that was the case, I wouldn't have taken the job. I feel that my authority in working with the project managers will be diminished if they think I'm simply some glorified secretary and I won't be able to do my job effectively.

As of now, I've decided to keep track of all the irritants for the next three months and bring it up at my review if I'm still bothered.

Am I overreacting?

- Goatweed - 03-07-2005

I'm of the beliefe that first impressions/gut feelings are usually true and not to be ignored, especially if you're not one of those knee-jerk types of people. Ride it out until your review & bring it up. There's nothing worse than having to go to a job that you hate because of the environment and how you feel you're treated.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 03-07-2005

i think you are becoming a hairy feminist.

- drusilla - 03-07-2005

if i didn't know you, i would say that its all your hormones going haywire right now.

i think its smart to keep a list or a log of what you have noticed. bringing it up at the review does seem like a good idea, but they might look at you like you are a little crazy if you come in with a big list of things they are doing wrong. maybe certain things can be brought up before the review, in a light or casual manner. or see if other people notice whats going on. sometimes it helps to have back up on those things. a while back i was the lone opinion on a fucked up work enviornment. i lasted 8 months before i quit & every day of the 8 months sucked beyond belief.

- Silera - 03-07-2005

I should antagonize them so that I can sue.

- drusilla - 03-07-2005

that did come to mind. especially if the other women in the office feel like something is fucked up too. but, the level of discrimination isn't that great (yet). it is fucked up, but i think it has to get worse to be able to sue.

then again, where's the line?

Edited By drusilla on 1110210050

- Silera - 03-07-2005

If I felt like I had to clean the kitchen, answer the phones, and make photo copies to keep my job even though it's not in my job description and only required of the women of the office, I'd say that's sexual discrimination. Whether or not it warrants a law suit is another issue. Feeling like having tits makes me somehow less deserving of professional respect is frustratingly annoying.

We had a meeting my second week on the job, to go over the new requisitions process with the project managers, and I was told to conduct the meeting.

I don't know if it was a joke or not, but the next day the controller said to me "How did your little meeting go yesterday? You sure did talk a lot." I wanted to spit in his face. Maybe I just don't get his sense of humor, but I think that unless you've gotten a feel for someone, you don't start belittling them even in jest. Added on top of his general retarded behaviour from day one, and the impression that I have of him as being an inept idiot that likes to hear himself speak, the statement pissed me off for the entire day.

- drusilla - 03-07-2005

start shopping for a new job

- Buttmunch - 03-07-2005

We really need to talk.

oohhhh snap.

- Silera - 03-07-2005

Am I going to be rich?

yeah so rich that you will have to change your name to $ilera

- GonzoStyle - 03-07-2005

You should catch him after work and slice him up.

- Silera - 03-07-2005

I should get off the internet and start building an impeccable work record.

that is how you want to solve every problem

Silera Wrote:I should get off the internet and start building an impeccable work record.
Slice him across the chest then jump up on his desk and start dancing to a charlie daniels song.

- Silera - 03-07-2005

Can't I just give him a paper cut as I hand him some copies?

now that is an amazing mental image.

I say kidnap him and have a "swimming with sharks" revival in your living room.

- Silera - 03-07-2005

Sounds messy.