CDIH
The Official 2005 New York Yankees Thread - Kill all Red Sox and Twins - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Official 2005 New York Yankees Thread - Kill all Red Sox and Twins (/showthread.php?tid=10215)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- Goatweed - 05-18-2005

drive to Yankee Stadium? yuck.

4 train baby!!

- Arpikarhu - 05-18-2005

plus that would involve gonzo leaving his one block radius from home comfort zone.

- Goatweed - 05-18-2005

he's come to my house a few times - if he can navigate the streets of staten island, he can go anywhere.

- The Jays - 05-18-2005

10 in a row. Another shut-out. Today's win will breed a couple more; juist as it has this entire streak.

- The Jays - 05-24-2005

Well, The Mets are pretty decent this year. But it seems like Mike on the Fan really dogs on the way Willie manages the team; like Willie's thinking too much like a Yankee or some shit.. I dunno, he was pissing me off today when I was listening.

- The Jays - 06-12-2005

yeah, I'm keeping quiet, because there isn't much to discuss. They suck right now.

I was cheering for Jason Marquis, but, they lost that game on the field. How many fucking runs off errors can you do this year, boys?

- The Jays - 06-19-2005

Congratulations to Derek Jeter

- GonzoStyle - 06-19-2005

The Jays Wrote:Congratulations to Derek Jeter
I just got in and dont know what happened but either he finally hit a grand slam or he and a rod announced their engagement.

- crx girl - 06-19-2005

yes

- The Jays - 06-19-2005

Gonzo Wrote:
The Jays Wrote:Congratulations to Derek Jeter
I just got in and dont know what happened but either he finally hit a grand slam or he and a rod announced their engagement.
Quote:Cubs remain winless at Yankee Stadium

NEW YORK (AP) -- When Derek Jeter walked to home plate with the bases loaded in the sixth inning Saturday, he had gone 5,770 at-bats over 11 major-league seasons without a grand slam.

"I thought I'd never hit one," he said.

Jeter finally filled one of the few gaps in his resume, connecting off Chicago Cubs reliever Joe Borowski for a home run to left-center that broke the game open. Cheered even more loudly than usual by the Yankees fans who idolize him, Jeter added a solo shot in the eighth, backing a stellar start by rookie Chien-Ming Wang in an 8-1 victory that extended New York's winning streak to five.

It was Jeter's first home run in 136 at-bats and 155 plate appearances with the bases loaded. The Yankees captain had the most at-bats with the bases loaded without a slam among current major-leaguers, and his 156 homers coming in were the most without a slam by active big-leaguers.

His teammates wouldn't let him forget that.

"It's usually after I get out. I'd come back and they'd say, 'Well, we thought you were going to hit one,'" Jeter recalled.

He had been aware of his grand slam drought since April 22, 2002. Mark McLemore hit his first one in his 5,349th at-bat and told Jeter about the stat when the Yankees arrived in Seattle four days later.

Philadelphia's David Bell, who hasn't homered in 118 at-bats with the bases loaded, now has the longest drought, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Tampa Bay's Alex Gonzalez has the most homers without a slam, 132.

"I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't feel good right now," Jeter said.

Fans demanded a curtain call, and Jeter was given another standing ovation when he went out to shortstop for the seventh as third baseman Alex Rodriguez gave him a pat on the rear. With his name being chanted loudly in the eighth, Jeter hit a leadoff homer off Cliff Bartosh, a drive just over the wall in right-center. Jeter tied his career high of five RBI and had the seventh multihomer game of his career.

"You have to just push him out there to take a bow," Yankees manager Joe Torre said.

Coming off his worst start last weekend at St. Louis, Wang (4-2) limited the Cubs to five hits in eight innings, including a sixth-inning homer by Jason Dubois.

"It looked like he went into the game with a little more aggressiveness today, a lot of determination," pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre said. "He's very sure of himself now. His confidence level is at a peak."

Tanyon Sturtze finished with a hitless ninth. The hot-and-cold Yankees are 5-0 and have outscored opponents 39-13 since returning from a 3-9 road trip. After opening the season 11-19 for their worst start since 1966, they won 16 of 18 and then lost 11 of 14 before the current spurt.

"We're gradually getting our confidence back," Torre said.

Glendon Rusch (5-3) lost his second straight start, giving up five runs -- four earned -- and nine hits in five-plus innings. He is 0-7 against the Yankees.

Chicago has lost three straight overall and dropped to 0-6 at Yankee Stadium. The Cubs swept by New York in the World Series in 1932 and 1938 and did not return to the Bronx until Friday night.

"The Yankees the last couple of days here have been pretty much unstoppable," Todd Walker said.

New York built a 3-0 lead on Rodriguez's RBI single in the first, consecutive doubles by Hideki Matsui and Jorge Posada in the fourth and Gary Sheffield's run-scoring single in the fifth.

Rusch walked Posada leading off the sixth and gave up a single to Bernie Williams. Rich Hill relieved and struck out Martinez before loading loaded the bases with a walk to Robinson Cano. Cubs manager Dusty Baker brought in Borowski.

"I thought he was the best guy out there to try to get a double play, a sinker-slider guy who keeps the ball down," Baker said.

Borowski fell behind Jeter 2-0 and threw a called strike before allowing the second slam of his career.

"I tried to throw a pitch down and away. Unfortunately, it came back over the plate," Borowski said. "Hopefully, Dusty won't hold this against me, and I'll get more work down the road."

Jeter, meanwhile, tried to figure out how his teammates would kid him next.

"I'm sure they'll probably come up with another one -- longest between grand slams," he said.

Game notes
Chicago's Derrek Lee went 2-for-4, raising his major league-leading average to .387. ... Borowski also gave up a slam to Pittsburgh's Rob Mackowiak on May 28 last year. ... Cubs right-hander Kerry Wood (right shoulder strain) was scheduled to make a rehabilitation start Sunday for Triple-A Iowa. Right-hander Mark Prior, who threw about 45 pitches in a simulated game Friday, planned to throw another simulated game Sunday at Yankee Stadium. ... New York right-hander Kevin Brown (back spasms) went on the disabled list for the 13th time. Rookie left-hander Sean Henn will start in his place Monday against Tampa Bay.

A shame, it woulda been a beautiful wedding.

- The Jays - 06-19-2005

And he had two home runs. That like doubles his career total.

so he has 4 home runs for his career now?

- The Jays - 07-06-2005

So I took of to go to the Yankee game today, thanks to some free tickets given to me by the secretary in my office. Supposedly, the tickets were from a group that was taking a bunch of eplileptics ti the game, with free food and all, but, alas, there were no epileptics from what I saw; I mean, I was expecting the tier to be shaking like Ali when I got there, but turns out most of the seats were empty, so I got to relax with my feet extended while the fucking spics and niggers on day camp acted like fucking spics and niggers and were either standing up to go down to the food stand, or were standing up to get back to their seats, and this shit was like going on like every inning, meanwhile, chubby fat ass camp director is standing in my view the whole time, her back to the game, talking to various people, and the only time they made some notice that there was action happening on the field is when the fucking YMCA guys came out. That's what I get for taking tier tickets.

But twas an enjoyable game at that. I have no clue why Baltimore left that pitcher in after 10 runs by the 3rd inning. The Jeter run-down was probably the highlight for me, and, man, when A-rod hits those home runs, you know immediatly that they are going out; so beautiful. Shef's home runs are like a challenge to get them over the fence, he just keeps lining them foul on the third base side until he gets one.

And Randy Johnson was fucking sweet, he got one dude to K three times in a row, plus he had that one pitch where it just floated home. Though It was Jeter's fault that that first hit got allowed that broke up the perfection.

Fun game.

- GonzoStyle - 07-06-2005

so did he get his 5th career homer today?

- The Jays - 07-06-2005

See, I was exaggerating, because Jeter is not a home run kind of guy. But no, Jeter did not hit a home run today. Instead, he went three for four, and fucked up what should have been a routine play for this caliber of shortstop.

- Galt - 07-06-2005

his "caliber" is below average.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 07-06-2005

bobby crosby, michael young, miguel tejada > derek jeter

- The Jays - 07-07-2005

Red Sox - Yankees 2004 ALCS thread

Quote:it is generally accepted that Jeter is one of the worst defensive SS in baseball. He has the smallest range of any shortstops in the game. Gammons wrote an entire column about it a few years ago. Jeter, for all his flash and good looks, and jumping throws, is just a really really really bad shortstop.

Quote:it was a Gammons article where he went over the horrilbe range that Jeter has. I think Neyer did a long article about Jeter in the same manner.

He's a really poor fielder. This shouldn't come as a surprise. He had an amazing amount of errors in the minors.

Quote:he is last in the league in putouts and assists. Consistently. He makes less plays than anyone else in baseball (at the time). So he makes the plays that other make easily look difficult, and he doesn't make the plays that others make difficultly.

Quote:The rub against Jeter is that he's pretty surehanded, but he just doesn't get to balls that other players get to. He doesn't bobble balls, he doesn't make bad throughs, he goes all out and that's great. But he's a step slower than the vast majority of all other shortstops in baseball.

[Image: post-13-18665-field1.gif]

Galt Wrote:his "caliber" is below average.

HollywoodFreddieMitchell Wrote:bobby crosby, michael young, miguel tejada > derek jeter

[Image: post-13-18611-bat1.gif]
[Image: post-13-18637-bat2.gif]

- Galt - 07-07-2005

Well, first thing, by offense, I wouldn't sort by runs. That's a little misleading. OPS is generally cited as the best source, but then that's saying that Ichiro is nowhere near the hitter that Adam Dunn is. So there are different things fora hitter. I would take both Tejada and Young over Jeter offensively.

Defensively, I will admit that Jeter has seemingly dramatically improved his defense after being known as a joke defensively for a decade. In the minors (setting error records I believe) and in the pros for consistently having mediocre hands and worst-in-the-majors range (the only stats on ESPN go back as far as 2001 -- and he was HORRIBLE).

Last year, he improved both dramatically (though he still didn't deserve the gold glove), and it looks like it wasn't a fluke, as if the voting were done right now he should probably be the gold glover. We'll see if he can actually keep it up. But weirder things have happened. Wade Boggs did it.