CDIH
Best Movie Trilogy - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Best Movie Trilogy (/showthread.php?tid=10320)

Pages: 1 2

- GonzoStyle - 05-22-2005

With the release of the final star wars film of the "new" trilogy, I figured it makes for a decent debate. What is the greatest movie trilogy ever made?

- The Jays - 05-22-2005

Star Wars 4-6, hands down.

The Godfather Trilogy seems only came into being because people figured they could squeeze out some more money out of the franchise with one more movie, like 20 years later. And the third one sucked on top of that.

Back to the Future was a fun lil trilogy, and is sort of that template you think of when you think triology; each sequel being worse than its predecessor, but, still, it was really about getting full use out of the vehicle of the time machine. The second one didn't have those terrible implications of the first one, of possibly not even existing because of the machine; rather, it was able to have fun with the sort of frantic scramble to fix the things that the two fuck up.

Indiana Jones has the three best movies of any trilogy, but the only real thing that links the three is Indiana Jones himself. It's really just three different stories about this one dude, sort of comes out of the old fashioned serials from the days of radio, and comic books; it's not some grand story, rather, it's just the adventures of this one man. It could be an entire series. A real trilogy has an arc to it. No arc here.

Lord of the Rings was in place iun book form for decades now; just waiting for the perfect adaptation into movie form. Star Wars was made for film, not book. Lord of the Rings was already a huge deal without ever being a movie.

The Matrix trilogy, I dunno, I'm still in commitee in regards to Reloaded and Revolutions.

Star Wars 4-6, Lucas had the vision for it, and, we should thank fucking christ that he got a real director for Empire, that movie is what makes the entire triology.

- Galt - 05-22-2005

Mighty Ducks

- Gooch - 05-22-2005

if Godfather 3 was up to snuff...but it's best as just 1 & 2. LOTR is great, but Star Wars 4-6 will always be best for it's timing and effect on movie cinema.

Matrix 2 and 3....fecal matter. 2 is watchable. 3 is horrendous.

- The Sleeper - 05-22-2005

Galt Wrote:Mighty Ducks

- GonzoStyle - 05-22-2005

I know, I know, I left off such classic trilogies as die hard and house party, forgive me.

- Galt - 05-22-2005

and Friday and Mad Max and Terminator and Jurassic Park and American Pie and Scream and Scary Movieand Robocop and Beverly Hills Cop and Vacation and Evil Dead and Karate Kid and Hellraiser and Bloodsport and The Crow and Naked Gun and Cruel Intentions and Austin Powers, and Rambo

- Sir O - 05-22-2005

I'm gonna have to agree with pretty much everything Jays said. The original Star Wars trilogy - even though ROTJ was not nearly as good as the first two, it was still good enough not to drag the entire thing down.

Godfather III should never have been made, I and II are two of the best movies ever made with II possibly being THE best movie made in the last 50 years. But no pick for "best trilogy" can have a movie as crappy as Godfather III no matter how good the other two are.

I can't pick LOTR because the books are just so much better. The Indiana Jones movies are great, but not Star Wars great. Matrix...pfft. The first was good but overrated, the sequels were horrendous. The Back to the Future movies were fun, but that's about it. And Star Wars Eps. 1 and 2 were terrible, haven't seen 3 yet but even if it's the best movie ever made the first two were so bad that it doesn't even matter.

So yeah, Star Wars 4-6, followed by The Godfather, LOTR, then Indiana Jones.

- The Sleeper - 05-22-2005

there's a cruel intentions trilogy?!?!

- TheGMANN - 05-22-2005

Theres also a Wild Things trilogy

- GonzoStyle - 05-23-2005

I was tempted to include romero's "dead" trilogy, those were some awesome movies as well as leone's man with no name trilogy.

Galt Wrote:and Friday and Mad Max and Terminator and Jurassic Park and American Pie and Scream and Scary Movieand Robocop and Beverly Hills Cop and Vacation and Evil Dead and Karate Kid and Hellraiser and Bloodsport and The Crow and Naked Gun and Cruel Intentions and Austin Powers, and Rambo
well if you include hellraiser which had more than 3 movies then you just open the floodgates.

- drusilla - 05-23-2005

indiana jones can't be counted. if it was, you would have to include all of the many james bond movies.

as much as i love the evil dead movies, i dont think they can be counted either. 1 & 2 are practically the same exact movie. & army was just raimi on crack. (still one of my all time favorite movies though)

episodes IV - VI evoke this crazy excitement that you can't really find in anything else. (maybe from 1-3 as well, but i haven't seen III yet, I sucked & II was just really gay). Iv - Vi were just amazing. & by far make up the best trilogy.

- diceisgod - 05-23-2005

good point, sweet tits

- drusilla - 05-23-2005

were you talking to me, or gonzo?

- Goatweed - 05-23-2005

Star Wars (orignal 4-6) - in my opinion, they set the standard by which all sci-fi movies had to live up to afterwards. Truly the kings, despite the weaknesses of ROTJ. A lot of the CGI used back then was not only created on the fly, but it's become one of the official studios for CGI today.

Star Wars (Episodes 1-3) - I honestly think there's potential here, but Lucas just didn't know how to make it connect more because of the CGI technology available to him. Sure they looked pretty but that human-touch was missed.

The Godfather - there was a trilogy?

Lord Of The Rings - I'm with Sir O, although I feel Jackson tried as hard as he could to stay true to the books, and even went the extra mile to film more footage for the DVD releases. It's definitely in the top three.

Back To The Future - eh, I see this as more of a time period - it's heavily 80's dated, and I always felt that part 3 was a real let down.

Indiana Jones - Since there's a 4 coming out, it negates the trilogy aspect, but I also thought that 1 was the best, 2 was so-so and 3 was better than 2, but it was also more comedic than drama.

The Matrix - I'm one of the few people who enjoyed these movies. I think the story is one of the finest sci-fi tales of our time, and considering our ever-increasing reliance on machines for day to day affairs, it's also timely. To be one of the greatest, I dunno about that.

So yeah, its eps 4-6, then the Godfather and LOTR - the others are eh.

I had to vote for the godfather even though 3 can't compare, the power of the first 2 carries the weight. The 3rd one wasn't horrible, pacino and talia shire carried that movie very well and it tied it up nicely and completed pacinos journey which was very similar to Vaders. Pacino starts off as a wide eyed innocent college kid to a stone cold killer, to a souless man and ends up seeking redemption to find it but at a high cost. I feel that Vaders journey is just as great but Michael Corleones deterioration of a man is that much a better study. Both films have great stories but godfather trumps star wars in the acting category. The biggest thing to come out of star wars was Harrison Ford. Godfather had a virtural who's who of actors make big names for themselves. Plus much like star wars introduced alec guiness to a new generation, godfather cemented Brando as the greatest actor of all time. Plus Vito Corleone well rivals vader as one of the greatest film characters ever. Godfather also launched careers for Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Talia Shire, Diane Keaton, and several others.

Plus theres a great sentiment for star wars at the moment.

So Godfather with star wars as a close second followed by LoTR.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 05-23-2005

major league.

- HedCold - 05-23-2005

The Sleeper Wrote:
Galt Wrote:Mighty Ducks

- HedCold - 05-23-2005

i can't believe you left off the karate kid too