CDIH
I just saw the worst thing ever on TV - The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: I just saw the worst thing ever on TV - The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off (/showthread.php?tid=10558)

Pages: 1 2

- The Jays - 09-15-2005

TLC :: The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off
Quote:Thirty-six-year-old Jonny Kennedy was born with a terrible genetic condition called dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa, which meant that his skin literally fell off at the slightest touch, leaving his body covered in agonizing sores and leading to his final fight against terminal skin cancer.

In his last months, Jonny decided to work with a filmmaker to document his life and death. The result is a film that tells the uplifting, confounding and provocatively humorous story of an amazing man on a mission to make his final days on earth memorable. Even at his very final moments, Jonny was still working desperately to raise awareness of this debilitating condition and to help find a cure. Jonny was also frank about his feelings on his upcoming death and practical about the arrangements. We join him as he chooses his coffin and has the symbols of his life etched into it. Not shying away from the grim reality of a terminal condition, this film is a celebration of a life lived to the very brim.

Combined with the fascinating drama of a man who has no hands because the skin came off and exposed his bones, is the cheery melodic music and graphic where the words "The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off" fly into place across an azure background, as if they were clouds, and this was some sort of cheerful story of hope.

Nope, it's all about watching a man die of a rare terrible skin disease. Horrible.

- Galt - 09-15-2005

join us next week, after Jays has read blogs for 5 days, and he re-enters the thread to blame GWB.

- Mad - 09-15-2005

Poor guy couldn't even get laid or jerk off.

- The Jays - 09-15-2005

Galt Wrote:join us next week, after Jays has read blogs for 5 days, and he re-enters the thread to blame GWB.
Nah, I think this week I'm gonna take the Galt two step approach of avoiding all current media and then making assumptions based on prior knowledge.

Edited By The Jays on 1126756694

- Galt - 09-15-2005

funny how the rest of the mass media came around to realize that local officials were a lot more at fault than previously blamed for.

- Arpikarhu - 09-15-2005

and the galt backpedal george W defense begins.

- Galt - 09-15-2005

So that's defending GW?

Saying that someone else was also to blame, and not the hero as he was portrayed for a week is defending GW?

There's no question that he's an absentee president, and did nothing but prove that during this Hurricane. But it doesn't negate the fact that New Orleans and LA governments were completely incompetant.

- Arpikarhu - 09-15-2005

uh huh

- The Jays - 09-16-2005

Yes, it's the locals fault for locking people in the Superdome and Convention Center without food and water, and banning them from leaving the county.

- Keyser Soze - 09-16-2005

jay, i dont think you can blame this entirely on bush, there are some serious problems with how the local gov't handled things as well.

an entire school bus fleet went unused because the local gov't didnt decide it was a good idea to use them to ship people out of the city. amtrack offered their trains free of charge, and the city refused.

theres blame on both sides.

- The Jays - 09-16-2005

Yes, you're all right. The federal government shouldn't come to help you after a hurricane hits, so if you're sitting in your own shit, piss, and surrounded by rotting corpses for five days, it's your own fault, cause it's not like the first and foremost responsibility of the federal government is to ensure and protect the lives of its citizens. Got it.

Edited By The Jays on 1126902562

- Goatweed - 09-16-2005

dirty nigs.

- Keyser Soze - 09-16-2005

jay, the fed fucked up big time but so did the local government. are you telling me the local officials are totally blameless despite what i mentioned, that they were given many options and had ways to help evacuate people but refused? are you actually telling me the local government is unaccountable and unresponsible for their citizens?

- The Jays - 09-16-2005

It's hard for Amtrak to provide that free service when they suspended all service on the Sunday. And it's hard to get those buses evacuating people out of town considering you need qualified drivers to operate them.

Get your head out of your ass for once and open your fucking eyes. I'm not saying that the local officials didn't fuck up, we could see that they fucked up well before the hurricane actually struck, when they had to house people in areas of last resort because they couldn't get everyone out. You're trying to tell me that it's the local governments fault that they couldn't get food to those people, that they had to make them sit around in their own piss and shit and dead bodies for five days? That's the locals fault? That, after a disaster destroys a part of the Gulf Coast, that it's the local government's fault for not getting buses to them in the days afterward? It's their fault that they didn't build up their levees? It's their fault that their cops and emergency workers couldn't do their jobs because they were both exhausted and threatened by their own citizens? It's the locals fault that they were locked in the convention center and the Superdome, and forced to stay in Orleans parish, it's their own fault that they weren't allowed to leave on the Friday after the hurricane struck?

All the pre-hurricane shit is the locals fault, everything afterward is the federal governments, since, after all, it was declared a federal disaster area, which oughta mean that the federal government leads the rescue and evacuation efforts AFTER the hurricane hits. You're still stuck on why these people didn't leave. That was the reality on the Monday of the hurricane. This is shit everyone knew already, and yet no one did anything.

- Galt - 09-16-2005

The federal government weren't the ones who put people in the Superdome. They weren't the ones who kept it lawless in there either.

I mean, was the government there for the first week or not? If they weren't there, then how can they be blamed for putting people in horrible conditions?

They can be blamed for not responding, not repairing the levees, not cleaning things up fast enough. Completely. But as for where the people were hearded, and the conditions they were in, that's not the governments fault.

Now, as for keeping them there too long, and not letting them leave, blocking the roads like in that Geraldo story (9 days after the fact), that was a major fuckup, and I believe 100% the fault of the federal government.

- The Jays - 09-16-2005

So you're saying they would have been better off if they didn't take shelter in the Superdome. It would be safer if they just let people stay in their homes. Amazing.

- Galt - 09-16-2005

No, it would have been safer if anyone in New Orleans had a fucking plan on what to do with people who were unable/to stupid to evacuate in advance of a major hurricane.

"I'm sure the federal government will do something" is apparently what they planned on.

- The Jays - 09-16-2005

They did have a plan. If people can't get out of New Orleans, they were suppose to go to the Superdome and bring food and water. That's been the plan for every single time a hurricane hit New Orleans.

- diceisgod - 09-16-2005

The collective IQ of the country is higher after this.

- Galt - 09-17-2005

making a plan isn't hard. It's the executing that's tough. Ooops, we forgot to actually deliver any food or water. And oh yeah, we forgot about having some police in there to protect against murders and rapes and such.

Oh, well. Next time we'll do better.