CDIH
HD DVD Players? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: HD DVD Players? (/showthread.php?tid=10669)

- Keyser Soze - 10-18-2005

Do these players actually convert regular DVDs to display in HD or do you actually have to watch specially shot DVDs to use these players and get HD quality?

- GonzoStyle - 10-18-2005

fascinating question

- Goatweed - 10-18-2005

dont waste your time, HD-DVD and Blu-ray are gonna fuck a lot of things up for people.

and as far as I know, unless something is encoded in HD format the resolution will either drop-down to what it really is or be upconverted via emulation - which is never good.

- Keyser Soze - 10-18-2005

so its like fake HD on regular DVDs?

- Goatweed - 10-18-2005

I think so, yeah. that's why people are getting pissed because now they have to look forward to all the Star Wars movies getting rerereleased on HDDVD and BluRay format, as well as every other movie that's out there. Its being compared to VHS vs Betamax, but the problem is HDDVD and BR arent that far in departure from current DVD so the idea is people will make the change and drop a shitload of cash for stuff they already own to get that extra 400 lines of resolution.

If youre looking to buy, i would only do so if you have the $$ to spend - I dont think theres even any HDDVD media available yet.

so basically people won't be satisfied until you are actually inside the movie.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 10-18-2005

HD and BR discs also hold more content than the current DVD's meaning hopefully more special features but I think the industry has to pick one or the other before the public moves on any of them. From what I understand XBox 360 will support HD and PS3 will support BR so maybe you wouldn't have to spend that much extra money if you were planning on purchasing one of those anyway.

- HedCold - 10-18-2005

the initial xbox360s are going to have a regular dvd drive. then later on they'll start selling them with hd drives

special features are still gonna be on seperate discs simply because they just love marketing them as "TWO disc special dvd super dooper customed never before seen edition". I have seen so many bullshit 2 disc editions where the 2nd disc had 2 special features that totalled like 10 minutes.

- Goatweed - 10-19-2005

the idea is that these new formats can hold a lot more information on the same size media - so in theory a movie could look WAY better then they currently do, but you would also need a really high-end display to take advantage of it. But Gonzo's right, they'll still make multi-disc releases because the idea of 2 or more discs sort of makes the price tag of $30 or more reasonable since people are stupid.

- TheGMANN - 10-19-2005

GonzoStyle Wrote:special features are still gonna be on seperate discs simply because they just love marketing them as "TWO disc special dvd super dooper customed never before seen edition". I have seen so many bullshit 2 disc editions where the 2nd disc had 2 special features that totalled like 10 minutes.
Im scared to buy anything on dvd now because in like a few months or so down the line another fucking version of the movie will be out with more special crap like deleted scenes, outtakes, and all that other shit. Im sick of being ripped off. Why can't they just release it like that from the beginning instead of 2 versions of the fucking movie ??

- GonzoStyle - 10-19-2005

well thats what they did with the lord of the rings movies, which was brilliant on their part. There was a whole BS line about how jackson had to take the time to do so but he filmed all 3 movies at the same time and they were all finished waaaay before their release dates. So during the time from the first one to the last one being released in the theaters as if he didnt get done on the "extended versions".

Thats why I didnt bother buying Sin City yet cause the one they released has no features at all and a special edition is coming out in december.

They're gonna do the same deal with the 6 star wars movies and all the die hards and other geeks will end up buying whatever set they put out again.

- TheGMANN - 10-19-2005

Quote:Thats why I didnt bother buying Sin City yet cause the one they released has no features at all and a special edition is coming out in december.

Yeah Im pissed I wasted money on it now.

- GonzoStyle - 10-19-2005

Though I liked the jessica alba cover on the dvd, the special edition cover has no alba.

They're evil!