CDIH
Best cops/detectives - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Best cops/detectives (/showthread.php?tid=1132)

Pages: 1 2

- IkeaBoy - 04-05-2002

What are some of the best cops/detectives in movies, tv, etc.?

* Sgt. Joe Friday- Dragnet. Let's face it he was one of the first and really the epitome of the 'perfect' straightlaced cop.
* Fox Mulder- The X-Files
* Robert Goren (Vincent D'onofrio)- Law and Order: CI. With the possible exception of Briscoe, he's probably the best detective put in the Law and Order universe. I don't know how to explain it but he gives a kick ass performance.
* Lenny Briscoe- Law and Order
* Stanley Bolander- Homicide. The show itself had incredibly fantastic performances from essentially the entire cast but Ned Beatty's understated performance definitely stood out, at least for me. And Pembleton kicked ass too.
* Robocop
* Dale Cooper- Twin Peaks

Edited By IkeaBoy on April 05 2002 at 5:38

- slackjaw - 04-06-2002

Man, what the fuck Ikea, how could you leave out Ponch and John, or Starsky and Hutch?

- Kid Afrika - 04-06-2002

Tango & Cash

- Sephiroth - 04-06-2002

Lenny Briscoe is God. The fact that he can ALWAYS come up with something witty and funny to say after finding another dismembered prostitute is amazing.

- McBourbon - 04-06-2002

Mike Hammer (Stacy Keech is a man's man....even though he has a girl's name)

- GonzoStyle - 04-06-2002

Sam Spade - Boagrt in the Maltese Falcon it just doesn't get any better.

Nick Charles - William Powell in The Thin Man, same author as Maltese Falcon and one of the greatest detective series since Sherlock Holmes.

Tony Baretta - Robert Blake as TV's maveric cop, cooler than starsky and hutch combined.

Popeye Doyle - The fuckin man Gene Hackman in "The French Connection."

Frank Bullit - The man who defined cool Steve McQueen in Bullit.

Columbo - Peter Falk as everyones favorite trench coat wearing dick who could solve any case in an hour with commercials and a glass eye to boot.

Too many to list...

- Hybrid - 04-06-2002

mallrats-LaFours. he was the man.

- SYNTuesday - 04-06-2002

The whole current cast of Law and Order kicks ass, L&O:SVU- Belzer 0wnz, as do the two prosecutors. Only saw CI once. If it's not Law and Order, ITS CRAAAP! Or is that Scottish, I can't remember.

- McBourbon - 04-06-2002

Ugh...this thread could have stopped at LaFours. That was golden.

- Ken'sPen - 04-06-2002

Columbo

- Arthur Dent - 04-06-2002

Brisco County Jr. {Big Grin}

- GonzoStyle - 04-07-2002

Buford T Justice - Cannon Ball Run, top that biztch!!!!

- Cunt-Twat - 04-07-2002

law and order, by far, has the best detectives!

- Kid Afrika - 04-07-2002

Quote:Sam Spade - Boagrt in the Maltese Falcon it just doesn't get any better.

Nick Charles - William Powell in The Thin Man, same author as Maltese Falcon and one of the greatest detective series since Sherlock Holmes.

Tony Baretta - Robert Blake as TV's maveric cop, cooler than starsky and hutch combined.

Popeye Doyle - The fuckin man Gene Hackman in "The French Connection."

Frank Bullit - The man who defined cool Steve McQueen in Bullit.

Columbo - Peter Falk as everyones favorite trench coat wearing dick who could solve any case in an hour with commercials and a glass eye to boot.

Too many to list...
As best as I can figure, there's no way you were alive when any of these shows or movies were around. If you were, you were too young to remember them. Do you realize that it's 2002?

Not to pick on you, but I don't understand the people of your generation being so nostalgic. Has nothing good happend in the last 20 years? What about Crocket & Tubbs?

- IkeaBoy - 04-07-2002

Video Kid, Videos...

- Kid Afrika - 04-07-2002

I understand that there are videos, you twit. My point was that usually the hype about something, and therefore it's popularity, doesn't last much after it's first run. So, how is it that 30 or 40 years later, it's still revered as brilliance?

Now, I'm not saying that the old stuff isn't good. I just don't get why so many people think it's better than current stuff. Sometimes, it's as if current movies and TV shows don't even exist.

- IkeaBoy - 04-07-2002

I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging the goodness of some of the stuff the past has brought us. Maybe people only look at the past because they want to seem pretentious or maybe because the 60s and 70s truly did bring about some of the biggest achievements of modern culture as far as music and film goes.

- Galt - 04-08-2002

Sonny Crockett
John McClane

- GonzoStyle - 04-08-2002

Hey k1d it's called personal tastes. You like rap and someone else doesn't.

By your standards should we not read shakespeare since the bard died centuries ago? Should the next generation not listen to tupac since he is dead? They are not called classics cause they are old. Most of the stuff today is stuff taken from older things such as books and movies. I am not saying I do not like newer things but when you say detective I do not think of LA Law I automatically think of Sherlock Holmes or Sam Spade.

I listen to classical music, I think the beatles are the greatest rock band ever, I think Paul Newman and Sidney poitier are the greatest actors ever, I think Dostoyevsky is the greatest writier ever. Doesn't mean I do not read grisham or clancy, or like brad pitt and denzel washington, or listen to system of a down.

It doesn't matter if I was not alive, it's called educating yourself to appreciate all aspects of life past and present. I am not gonna stop watching old movies cause you want me to be up to date.

I like some current shows but there is not much out there, fuckin seinfeld was on for so many years yet I never saw the point. Maybe it's easier to go back to the classics because we know they are there and you can listen to over 200 years old music and watch 80 years of old movies anytime you want. Maybe cause our classics are being made now it's tough cause they are coming along slowly.

I can listen to mozart one day, listen to led zeppelin the next and then put on a jay-z album. I am not just stuck in one moment of time or one specific genre of anything. Movies, music or literature. That is just me, maybe that is why I have a slightly more open mind.

I always loved Dashill Hamets detective novels and he wrote both Maltese Falcon and The Thin man which were my top two picks. I loved the films as well so I put them up there. My grandma always watched Columbo and I watched with her and liked it. Steve Mcqueen is ice fuckin cool and I loved him in bullitt.

I just love classics, not to be pretentious. It's the way I been since I was 12 and I first saw casablanca and listened to chopin. I grew from there to blues and classic rock at the same time listening to current shit.

That's just the way I am, don't ;like it? I don't much care.

Edited By GonzoStyle on April 08 2002 at 01:31

- GonzoStyle - 04-08-2002

Just for afrika though here's more modern pick's.

Martin Riggs - Lethal Weapon
Roger Murtaugh - Lethal Weapon
Alonzo Harris - Training Day
David Mills - Se7en
William Somerset - Se7en
Clarice Starling - Silence of the Lambs
Easy Rawlins - Devil in a Blue Dress
Mike Lowery - Bad Boys