CDIH
Music in commercials - Good or bad? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Noise Pollution (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Music in commercials - Good or bad? (/showthread.php?tid=1159)

- Arthur Dent - 04-08-2002

Remember when advertisers used to write music for commercials instead of buying the rights to popular music? Cheesy jingles and theme music?

Do you like popular music in commercials? Which ones work and which ones don't?

- Galt - 04-08-2002

Remember how U2's "Stuck in a Moment" along with Five for Fighting's Superman song, and a handful of other songs were among the very few unoffical songs to remember the 9/11 disaster among the media?

Well, right around that time, I saw a TV commercial using that song as their theme song. It was a major chain too. They weren't using the whole song, just the bridge

Where they say "You've got to get yourself together, you've got stuck in a moment and you can't get out of....."

I forget exactly what company it was for, but I'll just say it was KMart. I know it was two syllables, but just can't place the company:
The songs jingle was "You've got to get yourself to Kmart...and blah blah blah"

I wanted to vomit.

- HedCold - 04-08-2002

i miss the cheezy jingles. who didn't like humming them all day and annoying the people around you.
the one for the goldfish snacks is cool, but i think thats just used on the radio :disappointed:

- Sluggo - 04-08-2002

"The snack that smile back at you, until you bite their heads off"

I don't really care, it kinda sucks to hear Led Zeppelin in a Cadillac commercial but, oh fucking well.

- Maynard - 04-08-2002

WEll, hearing Iggy Pop's Lust for Life in a car commercial is what pretty much did it for me. Sad
It's great for him, and for punk music, but I just find it kind of wrong.

- Keyser Soze - 04-08-2002

The funny part is, that song totally mocks consumer culture.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 04-11-2002

I miss the old Coke jingle. Do Do Do Do Do... Do Do Do Do Do Do...Do Do Do Do Do Always Coca-cola.

- IkeaBoy - 04-13-2002

I too dislike it. I'm not one of the big music people here but I have a vague interest in TV and commercials are a part of that and it just gets irritating. I mean didn't it used to be a sign of no dignity to have your song part of a cheesy car commercial but Ozzy, Iggy, Zeppelin, etc. it's annoying and patehtic.

And I also can't stand that annoying 'One Night' commercial with those young hipsters grooving to that song.

- Rape Fantasizer - 04-16-2002

I think if they use a song from "pop culture" and it's a song you don't like, you will develop an aversion to the product. Theyre better off making up jingles.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 04-16-2002

How about Godsmack being equated with the Navy? GAY! Also the Goldfish song is cool.

- Luna - 04-16-2002

That Goldfish songs gets me all the time. Confuseduicide:

Does anybody here remember Levi's commercials round about the '80's I think it was then?

"LeeeeeeHEEEEH...he HEEEE vi'ssssssssssssssss HAW! HAW!"