CDIH
Great moves: hurts the Mets and Yanks at once! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Great moves: hurts the Mets and Yanks at once! (/showthread.php?tid=12473)

Pages: 1 2 3

Great moves: hurts the Mets and Yanks at once! - Galt - 12-28-2006

Zito to the Giants (7 years, $126MM)

Now the Yankees are stuck with RJ, and now the Mets have to go into the season with Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez as their two best pitchers.

- BirdyP - 12-28-2006

When your aces are 40 and 41, there may be a slight problem.

- GonzoStyle - 12-28-2006

the foot is slipping

- Goatweed - 12-28-2006

I'll bet he woudn't have slipped if the Mets signed him.

- Gooch - 12-28-2006

Mets will move Miltredge and Heilman/other pitcher for another starter.

- Galt - 12-28-2006

They could have gotten Zito last year for Milledge alone and probably won the World Series.

There really aren't any pitchers available for trade right now (other than RJ and RJ was really only available so the Yanks could sign Zito) that are of any real value.

- Gooch - 12-28-2006

i agree with you...but the price of Zito's contract, who would have been a free agent anyway if Mets got him during the year (unless there was an team option i don't know about) just prices him well out of a reasonable range. Zito is good, but not THAT good. I'd rather pay a bit (in a trade) to land Oswalt or Willis, if need be.

- Galt - 12-28-2006

Oswalt just resigned, so he's out. Willis is possible, but he'd cost more than Milledge and Heilman, and would probably require either Pelfrey or F Martinez.

Sheets is a possibility, but doubtful since he's still two years away from free agency. Zambrano is another one since he'll be a FA next year

But regardless who, none of those guys will be available until midseason, and by then the Mets will be too far gone to have the trades be worthwile.

- Gooch - 12-28-2006

I'd do what it takes for Willis, really. Willis is better than Zito and worth the cost. And yeah, it would take more than Milledge and Heilman. Heilman really hasn't showed me that he's capable of being a solid #2 starter, and Mil looks like a future headcase, and we have good prospects to take his place.

The Mets do have interest in two A's pitchers, Joe Blanton and Danny Haren.

- Keyser Soze - 12-28-2006

Florida wasn't willing to trade Dontrelle but supposedly is more inclined since his DWI.

Danny Haren would be a great pickup, he's only 26 and threw a 3.73 ERA in 34 starts in his first major league season this year. He's in the top 10 in the AL for strikeout and complete games (163 Strikeouts (6th), and 3 Complete Games (4th).)

The Mets have had discussions with the A's already for Haren and I think they might be more willing to make a deal now that Zito is off the table. He's a young kid though and not the sure thing the Mets are looking for to solidify their rotation. The Mets already have some bright young pitchers in Pelfrey and Humber and are looking for more of a durable younger veteran type, which Zito fit the mold but at that price, its just ridiculous. I don't even know if the A's would be willing to trade Haren, i'm surprised they even entertained discussions about him.

With Mark Buerhle, Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, Jason Jennings, Jake Westbrook and Carlos Zambrano all free agents next year, it may have been the right call to wait.

The Mets have also been reported to have interest in Javier Vazquez, Jon Garland, and Jake Westbrook this off season and may revisit those options now.

.....and did Gooch just say "we" when referring to the Mets???

- Gooch - 12-28-2006

Mets are my team, silly. So of course I said we.

Have you tried Mama's yet?

- Galt - 12-28-2006

The A's let Zito go because they knew they had Haren and Blanton plus a sometimes healthy Harden.

HIghly doubtful they'll let Haren go for at least a couple more years when he becomes valuable.

Beane will obviously listen to anyone in hopes he'll rape them (like the deal that got him Haren), but I'd bet money Haren doesn't go anywhere.

If the Mets weren't going to spend $130 million on Zito, do you think they'll spend the $175 million it's going to take to get Zambrano?

None of those other pitchers are especially good. Though in the NL, they'd probably put up 2.5 ERAs

Zito is good if you put up runs for him. When the A's put up 4 or more runs for him, he was 85-4.

I wanted Zito, but not for 7 years. I would have paid him 18 mil a year for 5-6 years. This history on guys who have 5+ year contracts is not good for pitchers especially. Its a huge risk, look at Kevin Brown and Mike Hampton.

Zito has set a new mark for the marketplace, maybe its time to consider using guys like Pelfrey, Humber, Perez, and Maine and see how they perform. Maine and Perez have already proven they're able to pitch in the most pressurized circumstances, pitching very well in postseason baseball. I'm not saying the Mets should not explore whats left and especially look at the free agents on the pitching market next year, but they have quite a few attractive in house options that are young and cheap.

- BirdyP - 12-28-2006

I wonder if location had any effect, other than the crazy salary, on Zio's decision. Not telling anyone anything they don't already know, but SF is right across teh bay from oakland and he may just like to be there.

Now, as far as trading for another pitcher, who really is available. Obviously, almost anyone can be had, but there is such a thin level of great starting pitching that no team will part with an Ace. Oswalt is goign no where. Zambrano same thing. they signed Soriano and hired Pinella as their manager, they need him. Willis, may be had, but I just do not thinks so.

But, the real shocker of this whole thing is that the Foot was scooped. I can see if a guy like Gammons got him, but Galt?

well, if the team that is offering you more money than anyone else happens to be where you live and love, its a no brainer.

i don't post mets news here first, i post it on hot foot and it was posted there at 12:45 PM by one of my guys when the news broke.

- Galt - 12-28-2006

where do you think I found out that he was signed?

order is restored

- Galt - 12-28-2006

actually, it was on minorleagueball.com

sickels does a great job over there