CDIH
The Komodo Dragons Lords and Saviors have been born - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The Komodo Dragons Lords and Saviors have been born (/showthread.php?tid=12549)

Pages: 1 2

The Komodo Dragons Lords and Saviors have been born - faceman802 - 01-25-2007

I know how this ends so the Jews better stay out of England if they don't want to repeat history.

Quote:MANCHESTER, England - A British zoo announced Wednesday the virgin birth of five Komodo dragons, giving scientists new hope for the captive breeding of the endangered species.

In an evolutionary twist, the newborns' eight-year-old mother Flora shocked staff at Chester Zoo in northern England when she became pregnant without ever having a male partner or even being exposed to the opposite sex.

"Flora is oblivious to the excitement she has caused but we are delighted to say she is now a mum and dad," said a delighted Kevin Buley, the zoo's curator of lower vertebrates and invertebrates.

The shells began cracking last week, after an eight-month gestation period, which culminated with the arrival on Tuesday of the fifth black and yellow colored dragon.

The dragons are between 15.5 and 17.5 inches and weigh between 3.5 and 5.3 ounces, said Buley, who leads the zoo's expert care team.

He said the reptiles are in good health and enjoying a diet of crickets and locusts.

Other reptile species reproduce asexually in a process known as parthenogenesis. But Flora's virginal conception, and that of another Komodo dragon earlier this year at the London Zoo, are the first time it has been documented in a Komodo dragon.

The evolutionary breakthrough could have far-reaching consequences for endangered species.

Captive breeding could ensure the survival of the world's largest lizards, with fewer than 4,000 Komodos left in the wild.

Scientists hope the discovery will pave the way to finding other species capable of self fertilization.

While it wasn't unusual for female dragons to lay eggs without mating, scientists understood they were witnessing something important when they realized Flora's eggs had been fertilized.

DNA paternity tests confirmed the lack of male input, although the brood are not exact clones of their mother.

Parthenogenesis — where eggs become embryos without male fertilization — had only been noted once before in a Komodo dragon. Genetic tests showed that Sungai, a resident of London Zoo, was the sole parent to offspring last April.

- drusilla - 01-25-2007

scary

- Keyser Soze - 01-25-2007

:fart:

- The Jays - 01-25-2007

this is how fucking Jurassic Park got started.

pardon my ignorance but what the fuck does this have to do with jews?

- faceman802 - 01-25-2007

read your bible

- The Jays - 01-25-2007

That part about dragons and Jews must be buried somewhere in Isiah.

faceman802 Wrote:read your bible

my bible?

assuming you own one, if not go to barnes and noble and read one of theirs

- The Jays - 01-25-2007

like Keyser has time for books

The Jays Wrote:That part about dragons and Jews must be buried somewhere in Isiah.

along with the pyramid defense

he could get some chick on paltalk to read it to him while she's nude...kinda like a sexy book on tape

i like where your head is at

I'm always looking out for a brother

\o

- GonzoStyle - 01-25-2007

I think face was referring to the "virgin birth", you know that whole jesus debacle that we get blamed for.

see....he gets me

you and me are bonded like cain and abel, i'm cain though.

- HedCold - 01-25-2007

GonzoStyle Wrote:I think face was referring to the "virgin birth", you know that whole jesus debacle that we get blamed for.
damn, i was hoping to see how long it took for him to get this

coulda been a while