CDIH
de la hoya vs. mayweather jr. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: de la hoya vs. mayweather jr. (/showthread.php?tid=12648)

Pages: 1 2

de la hoya vs. mayweather jr. - Keyser Soze - 05-09-2007

so gonzo, if you still post here, i was wondering what your thoughts on the fight were.

it seemed to me, as a very casual boxing observer that de la hoya had won that fight. im guessing mayweather was more efficient with his punches, if thats what won him the fight.

or it was a fix, like most fights seem to be when they go to the cards.

- HedCold - 05-09-2007

yes, de la hoya's "golden boy promotions" had a fix in for mayweather to win

- Keyser Soze - 05-09-2007

i was suggesting that maybe the cards were fixed, not the actual fight, but of course thats a ridiculous notion, because boxing is such a pristine sport.

- GonzoStyle - 05-09-2007

or ridiculous cause it makes zero sense... maybe?

Mayweather is by far the best fighter in the sport today and possibly the best fighter in the last 20 years, better than even prime Jones, because unlike jones he has actually faced top tier opposition and has yet to even be slightly stunned let alone tested by anyone.

But for all of that, he just doesnt have the appeal of the great fighters, he's not verbally exciting like a hopkins, jones or ali. He's not flashy or exciting to watch like leonard was or jones. Also says a lot of stupid shit, like calling his HBO contract "slave wages", yea pal, 6 million a fight has my soul crying for you. Mainly he is a victim of his own greatness, he hasnt been in THE fight yet, the fight we'll all remember him for, the fight where the drama was set and he went above and beyond and battled to win the fight of his life, or the fight we wasnt supposed to win, like Hopkins beating Trinidad. Ali had it more than once, he had it in his very first title fight with Sonny Liston and then he had it several more times. Mayweather has beaten some great fighters and has looked masterful doing so but he was supposed to win all those fights, the closest fight he had to being tested was the two fights with Jose Luis Castillo but that's about it.

This fight with delahoya was ok but I had it a draw, I also gave floyd round 12 and apparently 2 of the 3 judges gave Oscar round 12, so if the 3rd judge gave oscar the 12th round as well, it woulda been a draw.

The fight was close only because yet again, Oscar faded in the last 3 rounds. Floyd did a good job technically and threw more punches than oscar, oscar picked his spots and threw the harder punches. Overall I wouldnt wanna see the fight again, if it happens fine, if it doesnt I couldnt care less.

I will say this, you can hate on Oscar for a lot of things but you cant say the guy hasnt been consistently the most exciting fighter of the last 10 years. He has never ducked a single fighter and has always taken on big fight after big fight. Seriously look at his record, he's had a bit over 40 fights and more than 70% of those fighters have been current or former champions, thats is beyond a ridiculous ratio even in this congested title era. The 5 losses he does have, you can only really call the Hopkins fight his only real loss, but he was never gonna beat arguably the best middleweight since Marvin Hagler, that was the equivalent of expecting Jones to Beat Lennox Lewis. The trinidad fight, the mayweather fight and both Mosley fights were decision losses based on the fact that Oscar faded in the late rounds, it was more Oscar beating himself than being beaten by the man across the ring.

- Arpikarhu - 05-11-2007

Quote:Overall I wouldnt wanna see the fight again, if it happens fine, if it doesnt I couldnt care less.

of course not. it wasnt a bloody free-for-all. technically sound fights are a bore.

- funsnapsdyno - 05-11-2007

So Keyser asks Gonzo's opinion.. he gives it and then Keyser doesn't have anything to add..

The man gives and gives on this board and asks very little in return. The world needs more Gonzos.

- GonzoStyle - 05-11-2007

if you're trying to get in my pants, you're there baby.

- Arpikarhu - 05-11-2007

funsnapsdyno Wrote:The world needs more Gonzos.

three or four more gonzos and the world will tip on its axis.

- diceisgod - 05-11-2007

dying sport

Re: de la hoya vs. mayweather jr. - Gooch - 05-12-2007

Keyser Soze Wrote:so gonzo, if you still post here, i was wondering what your thoughts on the fight were.

it seemed to me, as a very casual boxing observer that de la hoya had won that fight. im guessing mayweather was more efficient with his punches, if thats what won him the fight.

or it was a fix, like most fights seem to be when they go to the cards.

you got to be fucking kidding me. it was obviously a Mayweather win

this is why people tout that Sugar Ray clearly won vs Hagler and then drawed against Hearns.

Clean hits...many...on De La Hoya by Mayweather.

Flailing punches that couldn't find their mark and were mostly blocked by Mayweather

The fact one judge had it for De La Hoya was simply awful.

- Keyser Soze - 05-13-2007

funsnapsdyno Wrote:So Keyser asks Gonzo's opinion.. he gives it and then Keyser doesn't have anything to add..

The man gives and gives on this board and asks very little in return. The world needs more Gonzos.

you're assuming i've been around to respond. i saw his response tonight, and now i'm responding.

when i watched this fight the first time, i was in new orleans, watching the fight at harrahs partially distracted by the texas hold em game i was participating in.

i appreciate gonzos opinion in this matter, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered to post this.

i've since watched the entire fight with full attention and as i suspected in my original post, mayweather was far more efficient in his punches than de la hoya. what i observed was de la hoya punching more, which caused me to incorrectly believe he was winning, when mayweather was simply more precise, throwing less.

i agree with gonzo that de la hoya should be commended for almost always accepting the challenges before him rather than beef up his record with meaningless fights. he may not have won all of them, but he had to balls to step in the ring, and that makes him a true champion.

- Gooch - 05-13-2007

Keyser Soze Wrote:
funsnapsdyno Wrote:So Keyser asks Gonzo's opinion.. he gives it and then Keyser doesn't have anything to add..

you're assuming i've been around to respond. i saw his response tonight, and now i'm responding.

when i watched this fight the first time, i was in new orleans, watching the fight at harrahs partially distracted by the texas hold em game i was participating in.

i appreciate gonzos opinion in this matter, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered to post this.

i've since watched the entire fight with full attention and as i suspected in my original post, mayweather was far more efficient in his punches than de la hoya. what i observed was de la hoya punching more, which caused me to incorrectly believe he was winning, when mayweather was simply more precise, throwing less.

i agree with gonzo that de la hoya should be commended for almost always accepting the challenges before him rather than beef up his record with meaningless fights. he may not have won all of them, but he had to balls to step in the ring, and that makes him a true champion.

you have redeemed yourself mightily.

and gonzo is dead-on..mayweather ducks opponents while de la hoya, though he hasn't won all if any of the big challenges...he's always taken them on.

- funsnapsdyno - 05-13-2007

GonzoStyle Wrote:if you're trying to get in my pants, you're there baby.
<3

Keyser Soze Wrote:i appreciate gonzos opinion in this matter, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered to post this.

That's because he's an e-legend !

- Keyser Soze - 05-13-2007

he's a legend in his own mind, but we still love him.

you on the other hand, not so much.

- Gooch - 05-14-2007

fecal matter might have more value pound for pound.

- Keyser Soze - 05-14-2007

she's the shittiest poster pound for pound, thats for sure.

- funsnapsdyno - 05-14-2007

homosaysugh

- BirdyP - 05-14-2007

funsnapsdyno Wrote:homosayswhat

ugh

- funsnapsdyno - 05-14-2007

what happened.. someone changed my post

- Gooch - 05-15-2007

that means for a short schism of time, your posts didn't suck.