CDIH
For Josh - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: For Josh (/showthread.php?tid=12674)

For Josh - GonzoStyle - 06-13-2007

Quote:Politician Offended By Landfill Ice Cream
Politician Not Happy With Staten Island Landfill-Themed Ice Cream

NEW YORK, Jun. 13, 2007

(AP) One Staten Island politician apparently doesn't have a sweet tooth for a locally-made vanilla ice cream with brownie chunks and cherries.

That's because the ice cream in question, marketed under the moniker "Staten Island Landfill," is "insulting and derogatory," borough president James Molinaro wrote in a letter on his Web site, in which he calls for a boycott of the treat, which is also packed with heart-shaped chocolate "crunchies" and fudge.

"The stereotyping of our community is as ignorant as it is hurtful," the infuriated politician wrote. "Even the most basic research effort would easily reveal the positive qualities that truly define our community."

For decades, until it closed in 2001, the city carted its refuse to a landfill in Staten Island, which residents there despised. Molinaro wrote that the borough has consistently been named the "greenest, cleanest and safest."

Kim and Scott Myles, the Queens couple who founded 5 Boroughs Ice Cream, which produces "Staten Island Landfill," said they intended no harm with the moniker.

Kim Myles, 33, told the Daily News in Wednesday's edition that it is a "flavor with heart."

The company markets other city-based ice cream flavors, including "Jackson Heights Mangodesh," "South Bronx Cha Cha Chocolate" and even "Upper East Side Rich White Vanilla."

The chairman of the upper East Side Community Board 8, David Liston, said if the ice cream was good, he would eat it.

Those who tried the Landfill ice cream said the name wasn't a big deal.

"It's not like we'll be expecting to see a syringe or a rubber boot in there," said Joe Melendez, an ironworker from Brooklyn.

The Staten Island borough president has offered an alternate name for a Staten Island ice cream _ "Ferry Berry," after the Staten Island Ferry.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I really can't even top the article itself, it's fuckin brilliant.

i did love the alternate name "ferry berry" that actually may even be worse but that's staten island where the motto is "we can make it worse".

Re: For Josh - HedCold - 06-13-2007

ralph's ices would never do such a thing

Re: For Josh - Goatweed - 06-13-2007

Ralph's Ices is amazing, but I must admit Rita's is pretty good too.

SI is known for Guidos, the VZ Bridge and the Landfill - given a choice, I'd go with the landfill option too. That ice cream sounds fuckin' delicious, btw.

Re: For Josh - lush - 06-13-2007

I concur with Goatweed. That does sound delicious. I think I'll make Josh go down to the store and get it for me tonight, so he can be all angry and say " it's not for me!!!!"

Re: For Josh - GonzoStyle - 06-13-2007

the Jackson Heights Mangodesh sounds delish

Re: For Josh - The Prodigal Son - 06-13-2007

I read about this in the Daily News today.

Here is my question: what exactly does a borough president do? C'mon, are things so fucking boring in Staten Island that this jackoff has the time to flip out over the name of an ice cream flavor? This guy is a fucking tool.

Gotta try the ice cream though.

Re: For Josh - The Jays - 06-14-2007

Goatweed Wrote:Ralph's Ices is amazing, but I must admit Rita's is pretty good too.

Rita's is some crap chain from like Philly or some shit, that shit is shit that you find on the fucking boardwalk, it's like saying boardwalk pizza is as good as Nunzio's.

Ralph's, tho, Ralph's on Port Richmond, that's a heavenly place.

The borough president's job is to generally be a fucking douchebag, and enforce quality of life laws, and to bitch about how everything sucks, yet do nothing to fix it. This particular borough president not only gets to do all of that, but also read about his grandson's criminal exploits on a monthly basis, such as stabbing and robbing people and getting DUIs.

Re: For Josh - HedCold - 06-14-2007

ralph's makes a sweet mai tai ice

Re: For Josh - funsnapsdyno - 06-14-2007

The Jays Wrote:Rita's is some crap chain from like Philly or some shit, that shit is shit that you find on the fucking boardwalk, it's like saying boardwalk pizza is as good as Nunzio's.

I think water ice is a philly thing anyway. I asked for a water ice in NY and got a snow cone.

Re: For Josh - Keyser Soze - 06-14-2007

i dont like real pieces of fruit in my italian ice.....thats why i enjoy lighthouse.

Re: For Josh - The Jays - 06-15-2007

Well, I don't like cherry bits in cherry italian ice, but I love the bits of zest in the lemon italian ice.

Re: For Josh - HedCold - 06-15-2007

i enjoy the cherry bits

Re: For Josh - GonzoStyle - 06-15-2007

HedCold Wrote:ralph's makes a sweet mai tai ice

that just sounds like fuckin heaven right there

Re: For Josh - drusilla - 06-16-2007

gino's is the best. i don't like fruit in my ices either.