CDIH
There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” (/showthread.php?tid=12728)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” - Bloody Anus - 12-29-2007

Here is the final breakdown of the experts picks: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4ca-9hHgj21EzjRTmuTMFQ&gid=14">http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... MFQ&gid=14</a><!-- m -->

Overall, of the 274 total picks made, the experts picks were good 48% of the time, 133 for 272. 30% (83) were bad, and 21% (58) were neutral. This is slightly above my hypothesized 40%, but this deviation has already been accounted for in my week to week analyses.

I noticed during the course of this experiment that most of the experts did a much better job picking “sit ‘ems” than “start ‘ems”. Not surprisingly, the data fully supports this. There were 139 total “start ‘ems” and the experts were good on just 37% (51) of them, bad on 37% (52) and neutral on 26% (36).
Meanwhile, of the 135 “sit ‘ems”, they performed with 61% (82) accuracy, 23% (31) were bad and 16% (22) neutral.

As you can see, these percentages were consistent across most positions. They had good QB picks 49% of the time, but again just 37% for start ‘ems and 63% for sit ‘ems. Running backs were picked correctly 61% of the time; 45% for start ‘ems and 77% for sit ‘ems. Wide receivers scored at 50% - 30% start ‘em and 70% sit ‘em. Tight ends were picked correctly 52% of the time; 35% start ‘em and 69% sit ‘em.

The only positions that didn’t follow this trend were at kicker and defense. Kickers were picked correctly 25% of the time, 25% each for a start ‘em and sit ‘em. Good picks were made on defenses at a rate of 42%, 47% start ‘em and 38% sit ‘em. There are multiple reasons for this deviation. First of all, there were only 32 total kickers picked all season and 33 defenses compared to 57-60 QB/RB/WR. Then again, there were also only 33 total tight ends picked, so that doesn’t really tell the whole story. Another potential reason is because kickers and defense are more heavily reliant on the team’s performance than any of the other “skill” positions. A team can get blown out by 30 points but still have a WR go for 100+ yards and a touchdown. Or they can be shut out but still net some good yardage. Meanwhile, the kicker for the team that gets shutout will invariably also be shutout. Now as far as the defense goes, well, let’s just take a look at the opponents of the 14 good defense picks our experts made.

Start ‘Em vs:
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
Buffalo
Chicago
St. Louis
Detroit
Atlanta
NY Jets

Sit ‘Em vs:
Dallas
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
New England
NY Jets
New England

I’m not even going to look at who the defenses were that they suggested starting against these teams. Nor will I investigate the above teams’ offensive rankings, stats, etc. Without looking at stats, I can say with extreme confidence that Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Buffalo, and the Jets were five of the worst offenses this season, and that Dallas, Indianapolis, and New England were not just three of the best, but THE three best offenses in football this year.
Finally, the emphasis on kickers and defense is miniscule in most fantasy football leagues. These are essentially “bonus” points. Kickers and defenses are drafted as an afterthought. It’s far more important to draft a quality QB, RB, WR, and TE than to draft any kicker or defense. If your top QB or RB doesn’t produce, chances are it’s not going to matter how well/poor your kicker performs.

Back in October I hypothesized that my picks would “match or better (the experts’) 48% performance, +/- 5%.” Overall I went 53% on my good picks, bettering the experts’ by an even 5%. Similarly, I found it much easier to pick sit ‘ems than start ‘ems. I went 39% on start ‘ems (compared to the experts’ 37%), and 67% on sit ‘ems (vs. 61%).

I matched the 37% performance in picking start ‘em QB’s, and picked two more sit ‘ems (70% vs. their 63%), for an overall 53% performance vs. their 49%. The one position where I was outperformed was at RB. Overall I went 47% vs. 61%. Start ‘ems were 38% vs. 45%; sit ‘ems 57% vs. their 77%. Wide receivers were predicted at a 48% clip vs. the experts’ 50%. Start ‘ems were even at 30%, sit ‘ems 67% to their 70%. I went 67% to their 52% at TE; 47%-35% for start ‘ems and 88%-69% for sit ‘ems. Kickers I was good for 53%/31%/75% vs. the experts’ 25%/25%/25%. Finally, defenses were accurate 58% of the time (59 start, 56 sit) compared to the experts’ 42%/47%/38%.

So what does all of this mean? Why is there such a discrepancy at running back? I could try to delve into this, compare picks, see who I chose vs. who they chose, take a deeper look at the grading criteria, etc. but what’s the point, really? The fact is, I set out to prove that fantasy football experts don’t exist, and that’s exactly what I’ve done. The fact that I matched or bettered their performance unequivocally proves this. Just because they were better at picking RB’s proves nothing. I am just as good – if not better – at choosing who to start and who to sit than these self proclaimed “experts”. I’m not sure what the official qualifications are to be a fantasy football “expert”, but I’m pretty sure I’ve just met them. Yes, should I choose to, I could easily label myself a fantasy football expert. But seeing as how they don’t exist in the first place, instead I’ll just label myself a fantasy football player that also writes about fantasy football. That’s all these “experts” really are anyway.

The (rather anticlimactic) End.

Re: There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” - diceisgod - 12-29-2007

Ok then. Since you confuse the shit out of me with invisible posts. I do this now: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4ca-9hHgj21EzjRTmuTMFQ&gid=14">http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... MFQ&gid=14</a><!-- m -->

Ah nah nah

Re: There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” - Bloody Anus - 12-29-2007

Bloody Anus Wrote:Here is the final breakdown of the experts picks: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4ca-9hHgj21EzjRTmuTMFQ&gid=14">http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... MFQ&gid=14</a><!-- m -->

Overall, of the 274 total picks made, the experts picks were good 48% of the time, 133 for 272. 30% (83) were bad, and 21% (58) were neutral. This is slightly above my hypothesized 40%, but this deviation has already been accounted for in my week to week analyses.

I noticed during the course of this experiment that most of the experts did a much better job picking “sit ‘ems” than “start ‘ems”. Not surprisingly, the data fully supports this. There were 139 total “start ‘ems” and the experts were good on just 37% (51) of them, bad on 37% (52) and neutral on 26% (36).
Meanwhile, of the 135 “sit ‘ems”, they performed with 61% (82) accuracy, 23% (31) were bad and 16% (22) neutral.

As you can see, these percentages were consistent across most positions. They had good QB picks 49% of the time, but again just 37% for start ‘ems and 63% for sit ‘ems. Running backs were picked correctly 61% of the time; 45% for start ‘ems and 77% for sit ‘ems. Wide receivers scored at 50% - 30% start ‘em and 70% sit ‘em. Tight ends were picked correctly 52% of the time; 35% start ‘em and 69% sit ‘em.

The only positions that didn’t follow this trend were at kicker and defense. Kickers were picked correctly 25% of the time, 25% each for a start ‘em and sit ‘em. Good picks were made on defenses at a rate of 42%, 47% start ‘em and 38% sit ‘em. There are multiple reasons for this deviation. First of all, there were only 32 total kickers picked all season and 33 defenses compared to 57-60 QB/RB/WR. Then again, there were also only 33 total tight ends picked, so that doesn’t really tell the whole story. Another potential reason is because kickers and defense are more heavily reliant on the team’s performance than any of the other “skill” positions. A team can get blown out by 30 points but still have a WR go for 100+ yards and a touchdown. Or they can be shut out but still net some good yardage. Meanwhile, the kicker for the team that gets shutout will invariably also be shutout. Now as far as the defense goes, well, let’s just take a look at the opponents of the 14 good defense picks our experts made.

Start ‘Em vs:
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
Buffalo
Chicago
St. Louis
Detroit
Atlanta
NY Jets

Sit ‘Em vs:
Dallas
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
New England
NY Jets
New England

I’m not even going to look at who the defenses were that they suggested starting against these teams. Nor will I investigate the above teams’ offensive rankings, stats, etc. Without looking at stats, I can say with extreme confidence that Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Buffalo, and the Jets were five of the worst offenses this season, and that Dallas, Indianapolis, and New England were not just three of the best, but THE three best offenses in football this year.
Finally, the emphasis on kickers and defense is miniscule in most fantasy football leagues. These are essentially “bonus” points. Kickers and defenses are drafted as an afterthought. It’s far more important to draft a quality QB, RB, WR, and TE than to draft any kicker or defense. If your top QB or RB doesn’t produce, chances are it’s not going to matter how well/poor your kicker performs.

Back in October I hypothesized that my picks would “match or better (the experts’) 48% performance, +/- 5%.” Overall I went 53% on my good picks, bettering the experts’ by an even 5%. Similarly, I found it much easier to pick sit ‘ems than start ‘ems. I went 39% on start ‘ems (compared to the experts’ 37%), and 67% on sit ‘ems (vs. 61%).

I matched the 37% performance in picking start ‘em QB’s, and picked two more sit ‘ems (70% vs. their 63%), for an overall 53% performance vs. their 49%. The one position where I was outperformed was at RB. Overall I went 47% vs. 61%. Start ‘ems were 38% vs. 45%; sit ‘ems 57% vs. their 77%. Wide receivers were predicted at a 48% clip vs. the experts’ 50%. Start ‘ems were even at 30%, sit ‘ems 67% to their 70%. I went 67% to their 52% at TE; 47%-35% for start ‘ems and 88%-69% for sit ‘ems. Kickers I was good for 53%/31%/75% vs. the experts’ 25%/25%/25%. Finally, defenses were accurate 58% of the time (59 start, 56 sit) compared to the experts’ 42%/47%/38%.

So what does all of this mean? Why is there such a discrepancy at running back? I could try to delve into this, compare picks, see who I chose vs. who they chose, take a deeper look at the grading criteria, etc. but what’s the point, really? The fact is, I set out to prove that fantasy football experts don’t exist, and that’s exactly what I’ve done. The fact that I matched or bettered their performance unequivocally proves this. Just because they were better at picking RB’s proves nothing. I am just as good – if not better – at choosing who to start and who to sit than these self proclaimed “experts”. I’m not sure what the official qualifications are to be a fantasy football “expert”, but I’m pretty sure I’ve just met them. Yes, should I choose to, I could easily label myself a fantasy football expert. But seeing as how they don’t exist in the first place, instead I’ll just label myself a fantasy football player that also writes about fantasy football. That’s all these “experts” really are anyway.

The (rather anticlimactic) End.

What the fuck was that?

(That's not directed at DIG and how he was SOMEHOW able to find that link even though the post NEVER SHOWED UP! WHOA IT'S MAGIC! Did you hack into my google account or, worse yet, my computer!?!? How could this be!? No, it was geared towards the post that never showed up and why it only shows up when replying. That's what confuses me and prompted the question of "what the fuck was that?")

Re: There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” - diceisgod - 12-29-2007

Do you think I lie when I say that I see through the Internets and read minds? You see, there's all these itty bitty pieces of invisible information floatin' around out there....justing fuckin floatin' around out there all over the place.

You just have to know how to grab it, and I know how to grab it.

But actually if you had clicked on your username and then clicked the "Search user's posts" link on your little profile thingie, you can grab it that way too like I did. For whatever reason, your "deleted" post or "phantom" post or whatever the issue appeared listed there with all your others posts. So I saw that and from that point I thought I'd have me some fun.

Or you could have clicked on one of my previous google document links from week 11 or later, and been directed to the same spreadsheet, with access to the "Final" worksheet. This would make the most sense, which is why it doesn't surprise me that it's not the route you took.

If not surprised the second time around, you cannot deny your initial surprise and even slight concern whence I went about wisping that link out of the Internet ether - despite your assessment regarding my method's perceived efficiency relative to those devised by fruit loops.

Re: There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” - The Jays - 12-29-2007

Oh man, the final showdown, Anus vs DIG, this is the true conclusion to the board!

Im just sooooo tired of fighting people. Can't people just be interesting and NOT be gambling degenerates at the same time?

I JUST WANT TO BE LOVED IS THAT SO WRRRROOOONGGG!!!

Anyway, sorry about thatup there. I just felt like lying and making a Jon Lovitz refererence at the same time. It's the strangest most unique feeling ever probably. Even stranger is that if it's not satiated, I either have to kill & eat a transient or lie some more. The good news is, I just freed up my evening and assured myself a little less stress for a short while anyway.

Re: There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” - Bloody Anus - 12-30-2007

I am so surprised and concerned about your amazing hacking abilities that I have printed this thread out as evidence. Expect to hear from my lawyer shortly. Same goes for everyone who's posted here. I will be subpoenaing all the mods, too. This kind of e-thievery, e-deception, and e-bullying will NOT be tolerated.

Re: There is no such thing as fantasy football “experts” - diceisgod - 12-30-2007

HAHA NICE MELTDOWN!