CDIH
Three words - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Three words (/showthread.php?tid=12787)

Three words - Galt - 12-06-2007

That I hear a fair amount that I honestly don't know what they mean.

Hegemony - I think it's got something to do with strategy/plan, but like a really important or fancy one. It seems like a really stupid word.

Nonplussed - which I think means either surprised or not suprised or maybe impressed or not impressed. It could be either. I've never heard the root word "plussed" in my life so I'm thoroughly confused as to what being "not plussed" would convey.

penultimate - I think it means final or best, but not quite either. Also seems like a pointless word, and while I understand the root word, I have no idea what the modifyer means.

Re: Three words - diceisgod - 12-06-2007

Quote:Theories of hegemony attempt to explain how dominant groups or individuals can maintain their power

"Hegemony or Survival" by Chomsky was the book that the Prez of Venezuela Chavez held up at a UN meeting and told all there to read and wise the fuck up.

Re: Three words - The Jays - 12-06-2007

I think penultimate is second to the ultimate.

I'd like to learn what pedagogy means.

Re: Three words - diceisgod - 12-06-2007

Pedagogy is the study of teaching & learning ...I think

Googol is an interesting word and I know it's a crazy large number but not sure the exact number.

Pedagogy might also mean "many many feet" or "many many pedaphiles"

Re: Three words - Galt - 12-06-2007

Googol is a 1 with 100 zeros behind it.

Re: Three words - GonzoStyle - 12-06-2007

Only because I’m a history/education major I can explain 2 of them.

Hegemony is the study of theories and explanations of dominant social classes, groups, cultures, etc, over another class, group, etc. The main aspect is the study of how the one group achieved and maintained dominance over the other. So it's not just a study of a dominant group, you need to have both groups. Modern America as hegemony is a widely debated topic because the consensus if fairly split on the subject. The split is similar to the question of America as a modern empire (imperialistic), some even saying it never existed at all, it can be argued well on both sides.

Pedagogy encompasses many aspects of theories in education; in essence it is the philosophy of education. How one approaches education and what values they place on the function of teaching, whether it be teaching style, theories of curriculum, relationship between student and teacher, etc.

Re: Three words - diceisgod - 12-07-2007

"Imbeccile" is a word I like and use much. BUT for whatever reason I misspell almost everytime and without notice. That spelling is my "instinctual" spelling of the word, and I don't know why that is so.

It's not a total loss though as my err is often the first &/or only thing an "imbeccile" can comeback at me with. I guess it's just one of them awesome little coincidental quirks of the bizness.

GonzoStyle Wrote:Only because I’m a history/education major I can explain 2 of them.

I too was an ED major at one point. Then I realized I HATED people and most especially snot-nosed little fucks (K-6 or K-8 or however your area might lump them) or their slightly bigger, smart-assed counterparts (9-12).

Regardless my change of heart (ie. wising the fuck up) I still teach....in my own way. I thought about college level (which was the only truly appealling teaching option for me actually) but the idea of 5-7 years more for the doctorate made me think directly, at once, and immediately of DIG.

Easiest decision I ever made.

Re: Three words - Galt - 12-07-2007

I can't say the word "statistics" without stumbling over it.

That might be the most interesting thing about the subject I've ever heard. Still got an A in it though.

Re: Three words - funsnapsdyno - 12-07-2007

If I had a history teacher like Gonzo, I would've loved going to school.

Re: Three words - diceisgod - 12-11-2007

Redemption is a glorious word.

Most especially so when you don't need to get prison raped, dig through a mile of concrete with a teaspoon, nor crawl through shit-filled sewer pipes to achieve it.

As this word is not uncommon it is however still mysterious to most in this particular context. There is only one here who can feel it to such a toe-curlingly orgasmic degree. Further (& other than sink) there is probably also only one here who even understands what the fuck I'm talking about. But you might someday if you're lucky and if only from a 3rd person perspective if you want to DIG a bit.

Welcome to Cryptysomordiumsville (or whatever that "crypty" thing was)