CDIH
Super Bowl XLII - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Super Bowl XLII (/showthread.php?tid=12833)

Pages: 1 2 3

Super Bowl XLII - The Jays - 01-21-2008

New York Giants versus New England Patriots

This will be the greatest Super Bowl ever, IMO.

Re: Super Bowl XLII - The Jays - 01-21-2008

First lines put the Pats as 13 to 14 point favorites over Giants.

Re: Super Bowl XLII - Galt - 01-21-2008

I wish the Packers won, so the Pats could have beat the other top 7 teams in football this year (SD, Indy, NY, Dallas, Jacksonville, Pitt, and GB)

Re: Super Bowl XLII - The Jays - 01-22-2008

Quote:Opinion: Feisty Giants will be no match for Patriots
N.Y. ruins storybook ending for Favre, leaves Super Bowl with little intrigue
OPINION
By Bill Williamson
updated 1:25 a.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 21, 2008

The New York Giants blew it for everyone.

The Packers were supposed to be the final obstacle between the New England Patriots and history. The Packers were the last team we wanted to see get a crack at New England, and the Giants ruined it all.

New England has beaten everyone else. It beat Indianapolis. It beat Dallas. It beat Jacksonville. It beat San Diego. Twice. And the Patriots beat these very New York Giants just three weeks ago.

It was supposed to be Brett Favre's big chance. He would lead his plucky Packers against the Patriots in his last shot at glory. That was going to get us all through the next two weeks of inevitability.

Sure, New England would have waxed Green Bay. But it could have been fun leading up to the beat down. New England hadn’t faced Green Bay this season and maybe, just maybe, it would be Favre who could find a way to beat the Pats.

Peyton Manning couldn’t find the way. Neither could Tony Romo. Nor could Eli Manning or anyone else. But Favre was special.

And then the Giants spoiled the story by kicking Favre to the curb.

Now for the next two weeks, all we've got is the same old thing. We have no chance. The Patriots are going 19-0. Nothing wrong with it. We love dynasties. We love greatness. But could we get a little drama, please? There is very little intrigue.

New England is going to beat the New York Giants.

And that’s no knock on the Giants. They're a gritty bunch. New York has accomplished a lot more than most of us, including myself, thought possible. Things started shakily for the Giants and they persevered. Winning 10 straight road games in the NFL is almost as impressive as going 18-0. But not quite.

The Patriots are special. The Giants are feisty. Guess who wins that battle?

And so now we wait without any expectations. The Patriots will win the Super Bowl and it's unlikely to be close. So what do we do? How do we get through it?

Well, here are a few storylines to follow, to at least make things a little interesting.

Randy Moss
He is not only one of the most electrifying wide receivers ever to play, but he is also one of the league's most entertaining players. Problem is, Moss rarely talks. But at the Super Bowl, everyone has to talk nearly every day.

Moss will be must-read stuff. He is funny. He is honest. He is very, very real.

And he is motivated. Moss has long talked about a chance to win a Super Bowl. Watch for him to have a big game on the field and watch for him to have a big week at the podium.

“SpyGate”
It will be brought up all week, especially by the New York press. Here is what you do with all the “SpyGate” info: Ignore it. Throw it away.

It will be made into an issue, but it really isn’t. Sure, the Patriots got caught videotaping signals from the New York Jets sideline in Week 1. They got fined, they lost a first round pick and they moved on.

Who cares?

Eli Manning
He is no Favre, and he is no Peyton, and he is no Tom Brady. But give Eli Manning credit. He got to the Super Bowl. After being a whipping boy for four seasons, Manning is in the Super Bowl. It will be written and said for the next two weeks that Manning has no chance and that he will mess it up for the Giants.

Manning doesn’t have a chance, but the kid hasn’t thrown an interception in three road playoff games. The Giants will lose, but it may not be all Eli’s fault.

Week 17
The Giants gamely fought the Patriots in their regular-season finale. Fighting gamely was not enough, however, to stop the Patriots from becoming the first team in 35 years to end a season with a perfect record. With nothing to play for, the Giants kept their horses in the entire game and tried to win. They nearly did, giving the Patriots as good a fight as nearly any team this season.

It also gave the Giants confidence heading into the postseason. Will it continue to give the Giants confidence in the next two weeks? Probably, but again, it likely won’t matter.

OK, there are some things to follow. It may not be much, but with Green Bay losing Sunday, we don’t have much, anyway.

Bill Williamson is a contributor to msnbc.com and covers the NFL for the Denver Post.

URL: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22762752/">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22762752/</a><!-- m -->

What a smug fucking asshole.

This guy's whole article is about how pissed he is that Green Bay didn't beat the Giants, because Green Bay was supposed to be the ultimate rival to the Patriots. So, forget the fact that the Giants were the better team the whole fucking game, no, this guy is pissed because he's already seen the Pats- Giants game, and now he's going to have to find the will-fucking-power to muster up something good to watch about this game.

Fuck this asshole, I'm glad 350 people have voted this article a 1, because he's a fucking douche, and is too fucking stupid to realize that the best team in the NFC is the Giants, because they've fucking beaten the two best teams there.

Re: Super Bowl XLII - Rooner - 01-24-2008

But hes right. Giants-Pats is blah.

Re: Super Bowl XLII - Galt - 01-24-2008

Color me skeptical on Eli's newfound reliability and solid decision making.

Though it's also apparent that the Patriots have really regressed the second half of the year and dodged a significant amount of bullets.

I think it's going to be an ugly, boring game.

Pats win 31-21; there are 5+ turnovers in the game. Asante Samuel is MVP

Re: Super Bowl XLII - The Jays - 02-03-2008

I'll say 38-35 Giants win this one. There will be one fumble, 3 interceptions, and one punt return for touchdown.

Amani Toomer MVP

Re: Super Bowl XLII - Galt - 02-03-2008

Have you actually fooled yourself into thinking the Giants have a shot, or is this just a vote with your heart?

Are there any positions where the Giants are better than the Patriots aside from defensive end?

Re: Super Bowl XLII - The Jays - 02-03-2008

Hey, I'm just voting so that when the Giants win, I can say I told you so.

Re: Super Bowl XLII - diceisgod - 02-04-2008

Well here's a thread to remember.

Re: Super Bowl XLII - funsnapsdyno - 02-04-2008

Sorry Galt but...

YAY!! I was rooting Giants

Re: Super Bowl XLII - TheGMANN - 02-04-2008

Everyone wave and say HI to Galt!!!

Re: Super Bowl XLII - The Jays - 02-04-2008

That was the greatest drive, the greatest play, and the greatest Super Bowl I have ever seen.

Re: Super Bowl XLII - TheGMANN - 02-04-2008

I think I almost had a few heart attacks watching that last minute in the 4th quarter.

Re: Super Bowl XLII - Galt - 02-04-2008

boo hoo.

Did you actually fool yourself into thinking the Patriots had a shot, or was this just a vote with your heart?

Re: Super Bowl XLII - Galt - 02-04-2008

wow, so a rabid Giant fan picked the Giants to win the Super Bowl. You are so prescient. Are you also proud of how you pick the Yankees to win every series?

The only area where the Giants are better is defensive end; and it was dominant today. Plus Brady's foot will always be an excuse.

Neiner neiner.

Prediction: YANKEES 2008 WOOOOOOOOOO!

Come on, can you honestly say that was not the greatest drive, the greatest play you have ever seen?

Re: Super Bowl XLII - HedCold - 02-04-2008

Galt Wrote:wow, so a rabid Giant fan picked the Giants to win the Super Bowl. You are so prescient. Are you also proud of how you pick the Yankees to win every series?

when you picked the patriots over the rams you made a big deal about it in your "i'm not really making a big deal about it but i'll mention it" kind of way

Yes, but that was totally different, because the Patriots were not expected to win that year.