CDIH
i'm pumped! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: i'm pumped! (/showthread.php?tid=12843)

i'm pumped! - HedCold - 01-29-2008

[Image: JSantana86ToppsSmall.gif]

Re: i'm pumped! - Galt - 01-30-2008

can someone explain to me why the Twins got more for Matt Garza than for Johan Santana?

Re: i'm pumped! - HedCold - 01-30-2008

because you are getting johan santana for one year then have to pay him a shitload anyway as if he was a free agent. most teams can't afford that.

when the red sox got beckett, or the dbacks who just got haren, or if the mariners get bedard, they gave up/ are giving up a lot because they are getting him for two years, and most likely won't break the bank to sign him. they'll probably get a similar deal to what peavy signed, which is "affordable" for most teams.

why did the patriots give up more to get welker than moss? they were one of the teams that could afford him under the cap space, as well as "put up with him"

Re: i'm pumped! - The Jays - 01-30-2008

Better the Mets than the Sox. See ya in Actober.

Re: i'm pumped! - PeterDragon - 01-30-2008

This deal works out for everyone (except Phillies fans, and who cares about them).
Red Sox wanted to keep him from yankees, Yankees wanted to keep Hughes and Joba and keep him from Red Sox,
Twins get quantity of prospects who will help down the road but not now and ship Santana out of league.

Mets get what they needed - a top pitcher who isn't broken down (yet), and can afford to spend their money since they are still under the luxury tax.

This thread doesn't seem right without Keyser.

8)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=738">http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=738</a><!-- m -->

HedCold Wrote:because you are getting johan santana for one year then have to pay him a shitload anyway as if he was a free agent. most teams can't afford that.

when the red sox got beckett, or the dbacks who just got haren, or if the mariners get bedard, they gave up/ are giving up a lot because they are getting him for two years, and most likely won't break the bank to sign him. they'll probably get a similar deal to what peavy signed, which is "affordable" for most teams.

why did the patriots give up more to get welker than moss? they were one of the teams that could afford him under the cap space, as well as "put up with him"

I understand the concept, but we're not talking about Haren or Bedard. We're talking about Matt Garza. Who? Exactly. A guy with a career 4.6 ERA and 1.6 whip along with a 2:1 K:BB ratio. He had great numbers in the minors, but it was mostly when he was 22 and in AA or lower, which is a bit old for the league. He's got promise, he throws hard, but that 5 years of "potential" from Garza got more than 1 year of dominance from Santana is really odd. I think the guy from Minn overplayed his hand trying to pit Boston and NY against each other and they ended up just getting sick of it all and backing out.

I think Minn didn't want Santana in the AL (or maybe Santana didn't want to be in the AL), because the reported offers from both the Red Sox and Yankees were better than what the Mets gave up.

most signs point to the yankees and red sox not really wanting him, they just wanted to make sure the other one didn't get him without having to give up way to much.

the dodgers were probably in a real good position to get him with the two young outfielders they have, and the outfield log jam they have thanks to the pierre(stupid) and jones(decent) signings of the past two years. i was suprised they weren't involved for whatever reason.

i also thought the blue jays should have made a push to try and get him and go all out for one year with santana and halladay, but the no trade clause santana has really killed that i guess.

The Blue Jays have a horrible minor league system, and no one close to major league ready (which is what Minn was looking for). They already have a really good pitching staff. In fact, I think the Yankees will have the 3rd, or maybe even 4th best pitching staff in the AL east this year.

I also thought the Dodgers were a no-brainer. Kemp is amazing, and they have a ton of pitching depth in their minor league system. Kemp alone is worth more than Santana (given what they got for him from the Mets), so the Dodgers could have probably given up Ethier, and a couple high level prospects and gotten him easy. Not sure why the Dodgers were never even part of the conversation.

Re: i'm pumped! - PeterDragon - 01-31-2008

HedCold Wrote:the dodgers were probably in a real good position to get him with the two young outfielders they have, and the outfield log jam they have thanks to the pierre(stupid) and jones(decent) signings of the past two years. i was suprised they weren't involved for whatever reason.

i also thought the blue jays should have made a push to try and get him and go all out for one year with santana and halladay, but the no trade clause santana has really killed that i guess.

The no trade supposedly affected the Dodgers (as well as the money).
Santana is from Venezuela and has house in fla and wanted to stay East coast.

Re: i'm pumped! - The Jays - 01-31-2008

I never buy the whole "closer to home" shit with these athletes that make anywhere over a million. Santana could fly anywhere on a whim.

Good to see he's a Met. Good to see the Yanks didn't give up their stuff for him.