CDIH
One of the nastiest hits of the year! - Cringe playoff hockey at it's finest - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: One of the nastiest hits of the year! - Cringe playoff hockey at it's finest (/showthread.php?tid=1471)

- Sean Cold - 04-26-2002

Quote:MONTREAL -- Richard Zednik of the Montreal Canadiens, knocked unconscious by a blow to the face by Boston's Kyle McLaren, has a severe concussion, broken nose, bruised throat and a cut on the right eyelid.

The Slovak winger was moved out of the Montreal General Hospital's intensive care unit Friday morning, but will remain hospitalized until Saturday for observation, a team spokesman said.

He was admitted Thursday night after lying motionless on the ice for five minutes following an elbow from McLaren late in the game.

Zednik is not expected to play again during the NHL playoffs, the club said. It is the second concussion of his career, the first coming when he was with the Washington Capitals.

His injury prompted an angry reaction from Canadiens fans.

"Habs Outgunned, Outgooned" was the banner headline in the Montreal Gazette, while the Journal de Montreal called the game, which Boston won 5-2 to tie the best-of-seven series 2-2, a "vicious and disgraceful match."

Veteran Montreal Gazette columnist Red Fisher called McLaren's hit "the mother of all cheap shots."

Zednik was taken off the ice on a stretcher. Fights ensued and an irate Montreal coach Michel Therrien threatened retaliation against the Bruins' top players in Game 5 on Saturday in Boston.

"If they try to go after our best players, if that's part of (Boston coach Robbie) Ftorek's strategy, we have no choice -- we'll go after theirs," said Therrien, red-faced with anger after the game.

When asked if his threat will only escalate the violence, Therrien said: "I don't care. This is what they did and this is what we're going to do."

On Friday, the Canadiens called in some muscle from their AHL affiliate in Quebec City. Matt O'Dette, a 6-foot-5, 221-pound defenseman, had 136 penalty minutes, along with seven goals and an assist, in 48 games with the Citadelles this season.

Ftorek refused comment on the incident, but McLaren said he did nothing wrong.

"I felt I him hit with my shoulder and the back of my arm and that was it," McLaren said. "It all happened so fast.

"They gave me five (minutes) and a match (penalty) and I'll live with that. I've played seven years and 400 games and never received a suspension. I don't go out on the ice trying to hurt anybody."

Bruins goalie Byron Dafoe called it a clean hit.

"I think he was out before he hit the ice," Dafoe said. "It was a hard hit, but I don't think it was dirty. Kyle wasn't headhunting out there."

Bruins assistant GM Jeff Gorton told the Boston Herald, "We just watched the replay 10 times. I hope the kid is OK. But it was a clean hit. McLaren hit him with his tricep.

"No way should there be a suspension. I'd be shocked if there was. The guy is coming full speed and he cuts in on him, and Kyle is trying to stop him. There was nothing dirty about it at all."

Zednik scored both of Montreal's goals on power plays and leads the team in scoring with eight points in four games.

Both Therrien and Montreal enforcer Gino Odjick compared McLaren's hit on Zednik to the elbow thrown by Tie Domi on New Jersey defenseman Scott Niedermayer during last year's playoffs, which resulted in an eight-game suspension for Domi.

"The precedent has been set -- he should be suspended for eight games," Odjick said. "It's just like Domi last year.

"I'd like for the league to treat everybody the same. When you try to injure someone with a hit to the head, you're suspended for the rest of the series. You can't have different rules for different players."

Therrien and Ftorek had a shouting match at the benches, and the game ended with more fighting in the final minute. A few fans among the jeering capacity crowd of 21,273 threw beer and soda at the Bruins' bench.

Zednik appeared to taunt Dafoe after scoring his second goal of the game, perhaps hoping to put the Bruins' goalie off his game.

In Game 3 on Tuesday night, Dafoe allowed three third-period goals in a 5-3 comeback win for Montreal.

This was one of the most ruthless hits I have seen in years. Zednik look like a fuckin truck crashed right into his grill. I do question if it was intentional, as in he was trying to hurt him, but, my God, that was a better elbow than Randy Savage ever used. I am sooooooo looking foward to tomorrows game now, it is going to get fuckin ugly in Boston. Good fun for the whole family.

- LZMF1 - 04-27-2002

dood, i agree. that was one of the worst and cheapest hits i've ever seen.

- Galt - 04-27-2002

That's a typical McClaren hit. He always does that swing around and hit the guy with his ass. But right as he was doing it, Zednick cut in front. I'm guessing that McClaren just stuck his arm up as instinct, since MCClaren has never been known as a tough guy. Never gets in fights, starts trouble, etc.

- AFDude - 04-27-2002

I didn't see the hit except for a quick replay on Sportscenter, but damn, I really wish I could watch the next game now...it'll be fucking brutal.

- onehung - 04-27-2002

The only thing brutal about todays game was the B's hitting the post. 4 Fucking times. I think the shits gonna hit the fan in montreal.

- Sloatsburgh - 04-30-2002

Tie Domi's hit was worse. At least McLaren' back arm shiver was a part of the game, but this is what happens when kids are taught to use their arms and hands and not their hips and shoulders.

- Maximus - 05-02-2002

<span style='font-family:tahoma'>Domi's hit was much worse, it was obviously intentional, nothing like McClarens hit on Zednik. But it is one of the best hits I've ever seen while watching a hockey game. I winced when i saw the replay in slow motion, cuz initially it happened so fast that I didn't see it as well.</span>

- Sean Cold - 05-02-2002

Quote:One of the nastiest hits of the year

Quote:This was one of the most ruthless hits I have seen in years

Jesus fuckin christ, I said one of the most, not the most. Domi is a douche bag, we all know that, and Cairns little sabat kick was pretty shitty as well. It is a fucked up hit regardless, but now that Boston has been sent home, it matters not. I hear Zednick might return in round 2.

- Sloatsburgh - 05-02-2002

*cough*Faker*cough*

- Galt - 05-03-2002

If he had been wearing a full mask, he wouldn't have even had a bruise.

I played hockey my whole life with a full cage mask, and it never obstructed my view. Why these people feel the need to risk their lives by leaving half of their face exposed to elbows and 90 MPH shots is beyond me.

- 112-1014160832 - 05-04-2002

That was a fucking nasty ass hit. I feel that any player who takes out a player with a dirty hit should sit out until that player comes back up to 20 games. That should stop that shit!

- Sloatsburgh - 05-06-2002

Galt, it might have ripped his chin open.... I have gotten mild concussions from collisions to the forehead, but yeah, if he was wearing a cage he would have been fine. He would not have been fine when some guy with the palm removed of his glove, locks his fingers in the cage and starts shaking his head.... (Thus why goalies always remove there masks in fights.)