CDIH
Problems in movies or shows - Discuss things that just don't seem righ - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Problems in movies or shows - Discuss things that just don't seem righ (/showthread.php?tid=1513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Sloatsburgh - 04-30-2002

Maybe it's because I just saw Clerks.... No, I am not going to discuss about whether or not a storm trooper could install a toilet and about the poor independant contractors on the (third?) Death Star.. But this thought popped up. Feel free to bring up other shows as the pot hits.

Someone mentioned Time Trax. It's a show about a white guy (Darian Lambert?) who comes back from time to capture other time travelers who have escaped from prison in the future. The show hits on a couple of interesting topics: new martial arts, man can run quicker (still evolves), etc... And this one: in the future, the Hispanics are the majority in America. This time cop talks about his struggle growing up as a minority and how everyone called him a blanco, yet (and this is my problem) whenever they show the police station in the future, everyone is white (WASPy white) and speaks English. The majority of the criminals and the mastermind are white. Is the show saying that in the future that only whities are working, have the intelligence to commit high level crimes, and are still in power?

Just my thought.

Now back to the innocents killed in Return of the Jedi.

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

i find that movies are always ruined by people who over analyze them. they are movies for christ sake, not the philisophical writings of kirkegaard. people should learn to relax, suspend disbelief, and enjoy the movie.

- Arthur Dent - 04-30-2002

Good point Sloats. It's the Lando Clarissian effect of Sci-fi.
I wonder if it's just a huge shortage of black extras in Hollywood. Guess the South Central crowd doesn't look good in "futuristic" clothes.

One I picked up on is in Aliens. When Ripley drives the armored car, she hits one of the aliens and it sprays RED blood on the windshield. The aliens have that slimey acidic blood, not red blood.

But that's just a blunder.

If you want a flaw, I just couldn't buy into ANY of the supposedly military poeple in Day of the Dead. Just really horribly written characters. I couldn't buy for a second that they were US military trained.

- Maynard - 04-30-2002

Quote:they are movies for christ sake, not the philisophical writings of kirkegaard.
Says who? Actually, there are more and more movies being made every year that really force you to think. Yeah, they are there for enterainment, but there are alot of them that require you to think.

That theory Sloats, is similar to "White Man's Burden", in which they reverse the racial classes in America. They blacks become the whites, and vise versa. I think that is a pretty cool idea for a story, and the movie was quite enjoyable. I could most definatly believe in a world where the whites were the lower class, minority in the country.

However, with more recent developments in science, I see us going more towards a society like in the film "Gattaca". Where people are bred based on the DNA alterations. The lower class, minority is the people with flawed DNA, and the upper eschelon of people are the ones who had their DNA altered to make them a "perfect" human.

Quote:they are movies for christ sake, not the philisophical writings of kirkegaard

Methinks I sense a literature snob.

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

Quote:Says who?
says me. i am not saying that movies cant inspire intelligent conversation. i just meant that the over analyzation of a movie basd on minor editing flaws or "too many whites in the police station" is the provence of the lonely geek; a la the comic book store owner on the simpsons.

right, and don't think about cracks that are in the sidewalk either, because that is a complete waste of mental energy too....

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

Quote:right, and don't think about cracks that are in the sidewalk either, because that is a complete waste of mental energy too....
ummmm......yeah......ok

- Maynard - 04-30-2002

Quote:says me. i am not saying that movies cant inspire intelligent conversation. i just meant that the over analyzation of a movie basd on minor editing flaws or "too many whites in the police station" is the provence of the lonely geek; a la the comic book store owner on the simpsons.
That's not what he was talking about dumbass. In fact, he precursored it by saying he WASNT talking about geeky shit like in Clerks. He was talking about the topic of one of the shows that they were mentioning. The reversal of racial and social classes in America.

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

Quote:That's not what he was talking about dumbass
he may have said that, but it turned into an extra casting, continuity problem. try reading more than the first lineof a thread, it will help your comprehension and stop you from sounding like the moron you are.

- Maynard - 04-30-2002

Maybe you should do the same. Instead of being a hard ass that always has to make the joke about someone or something, maybe you can overlook your high and mightyness and have a conversation with someone instead of trying to make them look stupid. And the reason he was talking about casting is because that was all part of the role reversal. Would you film a movie about dinosaurs, and since you cant find any real ones, or afford CGI for the movie, just substitute the dinosaurs for elephants wearing dinosaur makeup? No, I don't think so. The whole point of that show was to show the role reversal of the races, yet they couldn't even stay with that idea by hiring more fucking mexicans for $1.50 an hour.

Now that's just fucking lazy. It's not like he was talking about this one guy wearing a pair of sneakers that was only made in the 70's when the show was taking place in the year 2050 or anything. That is nitpicking and yes, I agree that that is silly (yet fun sometimes). I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that was his original intent for this.

- Ken'sPen - 04-30-2002

Everyone Love Raymond.......

It bothers me that they have three small children that are invisible unless they are a direct part of the story line.
The kids are waaaaayyyyyyyy too young to be unsupervised, but both parents, grandparents and uncle are on screen, where the fuck are the kids.

no, it was the geeky thing. My mind just wandered and I hit upon this one idea: all the cops in Time Trax were white! Wrote it down, had a laugh, and then let progress which was the rational that, even though whites were the minority, they are still the only ones working.

Imagine this. Whites median generation length is around 30, Hispanics and (Urban) Blacks is around 17. Add in the fact that Whites are having half as many children per family. What that means is that over 90 years, Hispanics and Blacks are growing at a rate of 16X the rate of White people. Add in the fact of expense of college, distribution of wealth amongst children, and the technology boom and the education needed for computers, and in a couple of hundreds of years, whites can possibly be only 10% of the population, but still be in control. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

- Galt - 04-30-2002

Clerks sucked

- Maynard - 04-30-2002

Quote:no, it was the geeky thing.
Then I stand corrected.

But Arpi is still and argumentative asshole that is always just trying to make people look bad and make himself look high and mighty, and "smarter" than you.

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

Quote:I'm not 100% sure
then shut up.

Quote:maybe you can overlook your high and mightyness and have a conversation with someone instead of trying to make them look stupid.
dont act stupid and i wont have to point it out. have to admit, the high and mightyness part almost made me shoot coffee out of my nose. lol

- Maynard - 04-30-2002

Quote:dont act stupid and i wont have to point it out.
How am I acting stupid? By trying to have a conversation about this topic? At least I don't have to go throwing names like Kirkegaard around to make myself look smarter than everyone else.

Well, actually it's probably more like this "The whole point of that show was to show the role reversal of the races, yet they couldn't even stay with that idea by hiring more fucking mexicans for $1.50 an hour." then the sneakers thing. It was a basic premise of the show and they completely overlook it, like: Where are the 3 little shits in Raymond? How come no one was every buzzed/drunk or slurred their words in Cheers? Why were all of the aliens in Star Trek Humaniod?

- Maynard - 04-30-2002

Quote:How come no one was every buzzed/drunk or slurred their words in Cheers?
damn you, I never though about that. :bah:

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

Quote:How am I acting stupid? By trying to have a conversation about this topic? At least I don't have to go throwing names like Kirkegaard around to make myself look smarter than everyone else.
first of all that was a general "dont act stupid". that you took it to mean that i was talking specifically about you says worlds about your self-image. second, i didnt use the name kirkegaard to try and impress anyone. kirkegaard happens to be a very famous philosopher and has been widely read. just because you you feel inadequate for not knowing the reference doesnt mean everybody else feels the same way.