CDIH
In my day...... - How old are you? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: In my day...... - How old are you? (/showthread.php?tid=1516)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- Galt - 04-30-2002

I remember the Challenger explosion
...When Dominoes used to guarantee that if it took more than 30 minutes to deliver your food, it was free
...black and white televisions
...when NBC, CBS, and ABC were the only networks
...That "Prevue" was the precursor to modern cable. It sucked, and we had it.
...when bacon and eggs was part of a healthy breakfast
...When remote controls used to have cords
..."Remote Control"
...when NO ONE owned a computer
...writing letters
...when the press was reporting the fact that their were people who could host AIDS but not actually ever get sick with the virus
...Thinking that Emelio Estevez was probably the coolest person ever
...when the phones in my house weren't touch-tone
...when having more than one phone was a big deal
...when I used to write creative stories in grade school about bringing in weapons and killing all my classmates and teachers and I was called into read the story to other classes because everyone thought it was so funny
...when being a "businessman" meant you wore a suit and tie to work.
...programming with "Logo"
...Datsun cars
...buying records not because it was hip, but beccause it was the only option
...getting our first microwave and VCR
...betamax and Laserdisks
...when everyone was afraid that the Killer Bees wre going to make their way through Texas and kill thousands of people in the country.
...The Atari 2600
...Watching the '86 series and hating Bob Stanley and Calvin Schiraldi exponentially more than Bill Buckner
...when you weren't cool unless your sunglasses were two-way mirrors
...when everyone I knew had two parents who lived with them.

what are some of the things that you look back on and realize just how long you've been on this planet

- Hey Ladi - 04-30-2002

Not my time... but I was watching the game show channel the other day. Hollywood Squares. One of the previous questions revealed that Planet of the Apes had just come out, so it was 1968.

The question was.... What is the amount of drinks one can drink before they will be in trouble with the police? .......... guess!! ........ today it is like 2, right? ............. the answer was 6!! 6! :toast: "One for the road!"

- HedCold - 04-30-2002

i remember....eerr...uummm....uhhhh...the rangers winning the stanley cup....dwight good and darryl strawberry as mets...the awful signing of bobby bonilla amd bret saberhagen, niintendo, president bush[the older one] throwing up at that chinese conference, going into my computer lab in school and being excited i get to use a computer to play oregon trail. and having my 2nd grade teacher scare me about missiles hitting us during the gulf war. bitch.

- Sloatsburgh - 04-30-2002

Actual Pong Machine
MTV played video, no commercials
Carter and Ford
John Davidson Show and That's Incredible
Tipper Gore saying "The message is very clear: Burn Down the Building!"
Pubic hair in Penthouse

- Bondgirl - 04-30-2002

Quote:what are some of the things that you look back on and realize just how long you've been on this planet
..having 4 tv channels
..there was no up or down button on the tv for channels, just buttons for each number 1-6
..going to see Star Wars in the movies when it first came out
..our first computer that used cassette(sp) tapes
..when Michael Jackson was black (tog)

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

Quote:our first computer that used cassette(sp) tapes
tandy computer. i had one of those!! lol

i also had one of those remotes that worked with sound and the buttons made this KA-Chunk noises when you changed channels

- Grumpy - 04-30-2002

Did we discuss this already like 2 weeks ago? I think Grandpa OAS started the topic. In the end, the answer was the same:

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><div align="center">YOU'RE FUCKING ANCIENT. GET OVER IT ALREADY!</div></span>

- JIMMYSNUKA - 04-30-2002

I had 4 bottles of water today so far.

And you smell people's asses in elevators.

- Maynard - 04-30-2002

Most of my memories are the same as Galt's (probably because I'm a month and a half older).

...When Dominoes used to guarantee that if it took more than 30 minutes to deliver your food, it was free
HAHA, so true. And the Noid!

...black and white televisions
We had 2. A big one, and I had a little 13" one in my room. Ohhhh. With the rabbit ears.

...when NBC, CBS, and ABC were the only networks
YES! No fucking WB, or FOX. REmember when FOX started? That was a major event!

...That "Prevue" was the precursor to modern cable. It sucked, and we had it.
I don't remember Prevue. :-( Bad mdmory I guess.

...when bacon and eggs was part of a healthy breakfast
LOL! And english muffins smothered with a stick of butter.

...When remote controls used to have cords
Holy shit!! We had a VCR with a corded remote. LMAO!

..."Remote Control"
That show rocked the mother fuckin house! Colin Quinn baby!

...when NO ONE owned a computer
I remember my one friend had a computer, because his dad worked for AT&T. We all used to go to his house and watch him type like 1000 lines of code and make it say "hello" while flashing different colors.

...writing letters
Yeah, remember pens?

...when the press was reporting the fact that their were people who could host AIDS but not actually ever get sick with the virus
Yes, the beginning of AIDS. :-(

...Thinking that Emelio Estevez was probably the coolest person ever
I still remember the day I found out that Emelio Estevez and Charlie Sheen were brothers. I was like, "whoa, they are the coolest family ever". They were long before the Baldwins.

...when the phones in my house weren't touch-tone
I still remember those damn cream colored rotary phones.

...when having more than one phone was a big deal
Yes! And I remember when cordless phones came out too. They were huge, and had this really long antenna that stuck up off of them.

...when I used to write creative stories in grade school about bringing in weapons and killing all my classmates and teachers and I was called into read the story to other classes because everyone thought it was so funny
LOL! And remember playing with toy guns that were actually gun colored? And not bright pink or orange so you could actually think they were real. But of course, no one ever even attempted to pass one off as real.

...when being a "businessman" meant you wore a suit and tie to work.
And NO ONE worked from home.

...programming with "Logo"
Remember being in computer class and making the little "turtle" move around and doing little commands to make shapes?

...Datsun cars
My friend had the coolest mother in the world, because she had a Datsun sports car.

...buying records not because it was hip, but beccause it was the only option
How about 8-tracks!

...getting our first microwave and VCR
Our first microwave and VCR were huge. In fact, I think our first VCR was the same size as our microwave is now.

...betamax and Laserdisks
We never had either. We just waited for VCR's.

...when everyone was afraid that the Killer Bees wre going to make their way through Texas and kill thousands of people in the country.
ROFL. I remember that well.

...The Atari 2600
Yes, and all of the other cheap clone gaming systems.

...Watching the '86 series and hating Bob Stanley and Calvin Schiraldi exponentially more than Bill Buckner
I remember Rusty Staub.

...when you weren't cool unless your sunglasses were two-way mirrors
LMAO, like the one guy lifeguard from Caddyshack. He was the coolest!

...when everyone I knew had two parents who lived with them.
I can still remember when my one friends parents got divorced. No one knew what the hell that was.

- Luna - 04-30-2002

I remember:

-8 tracks
-Albums (vinyl)
-roller skates (not roller blades)
-Nixon being the president
-Carter being the president
-Reagen being the president
-plaid Confuseduicide:
-MTV (when it first came out...when it was good)
-Twister
-Real Heavy Metal :-p

- JIMMYSNUKA - 04-30-2002

Quote:Twister

i keep that in my tackle box

- Ken'sPen - 04-30-2002

I remember the first season of SNL,
I remember when I thought MASH was funny.

- Maynard - 04-30-2002

Quote:-Twister
How about when sit & spin first came out. It was a thing you sat on and spun around to make yourself get dizzy and fall down. How fucking lame! You can just do that by spinning around. And everyone loved that toy. Fucking fools we were. :disappointed:

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

Quote:How about when sit & spin first came out. It was a thing you sat on and spun around to make yourself get dizzy and fall down. How fucking lame! You can just do that by spinning around. And everyone loved that toy. Fucking fools we were
you didnt say that when we played it our special way saturday night.

- Ken'sPen - 04-30-2002

How about SSPs.
pull the rip cord and you have a car that travels 50 mph for a couple hundred yards,
but I never had more that 20-30 feet to play with it in,
lotta cabinets and walls paid the price.

- Arpikarhu - 04-30-2002

Quote:How about SSPs.
i fucking loved those things. between those and my micronauts i was set for hours

I remember when John Lennon got shot and I was like "Big Fucking Deal" then the radio stations played woman over and over and over again until my mother smash the radio on the ground and broke the attena.

Nike Wally Waffles (blue with gold swoosh)

Lucky Charms only had 4 shapes

- Luna - 04-30-2002

Quote:Lucky Charms only had 4 shapes
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Do you remeber a cereal called "Kabooms"?

no but I remember sugar smacks and slapping people's palms red