CDIH
Tolkien capitalized on 9/11/01 - Despite his death years before - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Tolkien capitalized on 9/11/01 - Despite his death years before (/showthread.php?tid=1689)

- IkeaBoy - 05-09-2002

I'm not sure how true it is or if the petition is sarcastic but knowing Political Correctness and all that shit, I wouldn't be surprised.
Quote:Online petition vows to ban The Two Towers

An online petition is urging director Peter Jackson to abandon plans to 'name' the Lord Of The Rings sequel The Two Towers.

The petition, which says the title "is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Centre", claims to have attracted more than 1,200 signatures.

However, many of the signatures appear to have been declared invalid. Many others do not appear to take the petition seriously.

The Two Towers is the title of the second book of JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy and was first published in 1954.

The petition header reads: "When I learned that there apparently was to be a sequel, I was overjoyed. However, Peter Jackson has decided to tastelessly name the sequel The Two Towers.

"In this post-September 11 world, it is unforgivable that this should be allowed to happen. The idea is both offensive and morally repugnant.

"Hopefully, when Peter Jackson and, more importantly, New Line Cinema see the number of signatures on this petition, the title will be changed to something a little more sensitive."

However, a note on the petition-online website adds: "The Two Towers is the title of the JRR Tolkien book originally published in 1954, the second book of The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

"The title was thus established some 47 years prior to the attacks on the World Trade Centre towers, and there is no evidence to suggest that Peter Jackson meant anything by continuing the same title other than faithfulness to the beloved Tolkien classics."

Edited By IkeaBoy on May 09 2002 at 5:06

- Arpikarhu - 05-09-2002

if it wasn't for the news media you wouldn't exist

- Galt - 05-09-2002

I think the brunette is the hottest girl in S Club 7

- fbd - 05-09-2002

wow...people are truely retarded, arent they?

edit-there are some funny gake replys to that petition
1170. Bob the Balrog I HEAR THAT PETER JACKSON ADDED A SCENE OF A DRAGON FLYING INTO ONE OF THE TOWERS! OMG THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A REFERENCE TO 9/11 OMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited By fbdlingfrg on May 09 2002 at 6:00

- Maynard - 05-10-2002

People need to die. Not just these people on the petition, but everyone. Everyone should die, because we as a society let this morons act this way. I think whoever came up with the idea for this petition should be hung on national TV as a warning to all other idiots out there.