CDIH
Star wars episode two thoughts - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Star wars episode two thoughts (/showthread.php?tid=1767)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- IkeaBoy - 05-16-2002

Well there's only one phrase I can use to sum up my feelings on this film. It's poignant in today's world and it should be honored and respected.

It stinks and I don't like it.

Maybe I'm too cynical, maybe I can't get past my gosh darned cynicism but that's essentially it. I didn't like this film.

Visually, it looked ok- too much CGI for my taste but I realized something tonight. Visuals are good but you need to use those visuals to build ATMOSPHERE!!!!! None of the worlds in the movie had any atmosphere. In the original trilogy all the planets had a definite feel, nothing in this. I didn't even care much for the Big Jedi Fight Sequence. The diner scene irked me.

Acting- Portman is a good actress but stuck with awful lines. Christiansen was flat and I was unimpressed. Ewan McGregor was really the only bright spot. He was fantastic in it and if they want to go younger for Number 6 in The Prisoner film, he's it. CHris Lee was good though.

Script- The lines were awful, especially the romantic parts. And the jokes failed more in this than in a Rich Vos stand up specials.

Somewhat disappointing, CGI /was/ good though and some of the early parts were OK. I'll need to think about it more but Spider-Man better.

Edited By IkeaBoy on May 16 2002 at 03:13

- fbd - 05-16-2002

1 word-orgasmic.the script was lacking in some parts, but comedic genious in others"you're going to be the death of me, anakin" was one of my favorite lines.there was shitloads of stuff set up, like the fact that the jedi have an unknown weakness, owen and beru, and soon, the clone wars.the battle scenes kicked ass, and lucas finally decided to put in some t&a(thong shot, a few amidalla scense with full headlights).i think me and ikea saw 2 different movies

- IkeaBoy - 05-16-2002

Well I'm not going to criticique the T&A. Portman was fucking hot. that tight white shirt she was wearing throughout most of the end- NICE.

I also didn't like them showing what Jango or Boba Fett looked like. keeping them hidden behind the helmet was part of their coolness

On the bright side, some of the fight/chase scenes were well done, I'll give it that.

Edited By IkeaBoy on May 16 2002 at 03:38

- Skitchr4u - 05-16-2002

did you guys see it in a digital theater, or noraml theater? I am planning on driving a little ways away too see it in digital, and buy new furniture while i am there(IKEA is right next door)...

- Sephiroth - 05-16-2002

Quote:did you guys see it in a digital theater, or noraml theater? I am planning on driving a little ways away too see it in digital, and buy new furniture while i am there(IKEA is right next door)...

The movie was shot on Digital film, so it will look much better than if seen in a analog theatre.

- Lord Magus - 05-16-2002

Quote:Christiansen was flat and I was unimpressed.

The simple fact that you could even conceive of Christiansen's performance as "flat" negates anything else you might have said in your critique in my opinion.
As far as I (and EVERYONE ELSE who I saw it with, as well as quite a few other random people who joined the after-movie chat outside the theater) am concerned Christiansen played a troubled Annakin, slowly succumbing to his anger and frustration, to a perfect "T".

I have to agree with FBD, Ikea saw a different movie than everyone else did.

- Kid Afrika - 05-16-2002

does troubled mean without emotion? that fucking guy couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. nearly the whole movie, it was as if he was reading off of cue cards.

- Sean Cold - 05-16-2002

Just sat through it twice, I am befuddled by what movie Ikea saw. It is whithout a doubt miles ahead of episode one. If Lucas' goal in this film was to make me hate Anikin, he did a pretty good fuckin job. Fuckin guy bitched and moaned the whole time. Portman didn't come off as stiff as she did in TPM, which is a plus. Ewan Mcgregor now owns the OBi WAn role and did a great job carrying his screen time. I will definatly see it again soon.

So, is Yoda signed on for Matrix: Reloaded after that fight or what? The green little muppet was bad ass to the max.

- IkeaBoy - 05-16-2002

Oh Yoda kicked ass, I'm not going to doubt that. When he and Dooku did the high noon-esque stance it was awesome and Anakin was ok being angry but as Kid said when he was supposed to be troubled he was stiff.

Portman, so hot, nice ass, nice stomach. that leather thing she

And chances are I will see it again (matinee), possibly get more thoughts in order.

And McGregor's performance still resonates with awesomeness.

And I did like it better than TPM.

- criticslovesnatch - 05-16-2002

Well I just saw it, and defiantely was light years ahead of episode I. There were a couple scenes where the acting made me cringe (annakin's mother's death scene was the worst since mary corleone at the end of Godfather III) but you really don't go to star wars flicks for the acting.

Yoda was fucking bad ass, and sam jackson decapitating jango fett was fucking awesome. Ewan McGregor kicked ass, was the only bright spot as far as real acting goes, and the movie made me relatively excited for episode III, which now has the potential, if done right, to be really great. It has to pay off all these loose ends in ways that don't suck thats all.

overall, now if i had to rank them, it would look like this:
Empire, New Hope, Clones, Jedi, Phantom Menace

- IkeaBoy - 05-16-2002

just a weird question- did anyone think ANakin was going to rape her?

- fbd - 05-16-2002

i wasnt exactly thinking rape, but i did get quite the sense that he was going to be much more agresseve than her

- Sean Cold - 05-16-2002

Quote:just a weird question- did anyone think ANakin was going to rape her?

I actually thought for shit sure he was going to make her love him.

- diceisgod - 05-16-2002

Siesmic charges are my new favorite special effect. They were the coolest thing in the movie imo.

- Kid Afrika - 05-16-2002

Quote:Siesmic charges are my new favorite special effect. They were the coolest thing in the movie imo.
I hate to admit to agreeing with d.i.g., but that shit was phat!!! The delay and then the sound effect was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Billy BadAss.

Boba Fett has long been my favorite character. Now, my liking for him is even greater. Seeing how much of a bad ass Jango Fett was, only heightens the bad ass factor of Boba Fett. Plus, it takes some serious dementia to clone yourself.

- Hybrid - 05-17-2002

i thought it was fucking awesome. some cheezy lines, but overall it was awesome. portman was AMAZING, but it was yoda who truly made my balls quiver with his saber skills.

- Sean Cold - 05-17-2002

Quote:Boba Fett has long been my favorite character. Now, my liking for him is even greater. Seeing how much of a bad ass Jango Fett was, only heightens the bad ass factor of Boba Fett. Plus, it takes some serious dementia to clone yourself.

What makes it even more demented is Jango calling it his son. Boba just holding Jango's head at the end was pretty fuckin twisted as well.

- Hey Ladi - 05-17-2002

It rocked! Stuff is starting to connect & come around the circle.

Yes, I thought Anikin was gonna use the Jedi mind trick on her.
Natalie changes clothes too often, even though they are kick ass. It's such a freaking fashion show... are they trying to just cover up that she has no lines?
Seismic chages, very cool.
Boba Fett & the head... chilling

Did anyone see when they did the shadows on the wall scene... Anikin's shadow was supposed too look like Darth. I missed it, my friends noticed.
I was nice how they had an explaination for who raises Luke too.

I don't understand why Natalie likes Anikin though, he's a psyhcopath. That whole scene... "I killed them, and not just the men, ... the women, and the children. They are all dead & I slaughter them like animals." ... All I could think was COUNSELING!!! Oh, and when he tells her he loves her, by the fire... he needed to get a grip. I thought he was gonna start crying right there. :disappointed:

- Lord Magus - 05-17-2002

I was wondering how many people would notice the little shadow trick they pulled.
And yes, Christiansen (who some don't think can act, BAH!) was definitely projecting that sense that Jedi-mind-rape was a dangerous possibility.

Oh, and don't just focus on green-boy's sabre skills, I think he looked pretty bad-ass commanding the clones too.

On another note... everybody notice the Green Dreadlocked jedi? Why do I get the impression NStink wasn't fully "cut", but just CGI'ed over?

- Skitchr4u - 05-17-2002

a post so nice, it had to be done twice.

How many jedi do they get into the story? do you know who they are, or are they just people who fight with light sabers?