CDIH
Ipod for pc - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Ipod for pc (/showthread.php?tid=1899)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Arpikarhu - 05-26-2002

i want to get an ipod. i use the archos juke box but the ipod is so much better. i know xplay has a beta program so that ipod will run on windows. wondering if anyone has tried it or if there is a better program

- Hummercash - 05-26-2002

I have an iPod that i use w/ my PC. I use the XPlay beta, but some people use EphPod. Both programs are currently free, but as soon as a final version of XPlay is out, they will start charging for it (under $40). Also, some people who were unable to get their iPod to work w/ XPlay have been able to get it to work w/ EphPod.

I suggest you get a Western Digital firewire card cuz most people who have this card do not run into the problems that people who bought other brand cards are having. I have a WD card and have had no problems w/ it... plus it charges the iPod while it is attached to the firewire card Smile

You will also need a case because the iPod scratches VERY easily (I found this out the hard way). I bought one of THESE and I love it.

The last thing you might want to get is a different set of headphones. Many people find that the ones that come w/ the iPod are too big and do not fit in their ears. Also, sound quality isn't spectacular, but it is tolerable. For $60 you can get THESE... they have good sound quality and the white ones (white are imported from Japan, black are sold in USA) match the iPod quite well. If you are an audiophile, I suggest getting either the Etymotic ER-4P (which are around $270) or the Etymotic ER-6 (which are only $125 and are supposed to be a very nice match for the iPod).

Also, you might want to hold off another few months, cuz it is rumored that Apple will be adding 3 to 5 new 'digital lifestyle' devices to their product lineup @ MacWorldNewYork.

If you have any other questions, lemme know.

.//chris

- HedCold - 05-26-2002

$270 for headphones? :-o

- Arpikarhu - 05-27-2002

thanks for the info hummer. i will wait. one question, do i need firewire or can i use usb?

- AdolescentMasturbator - 05-27-2002

Um you definitely need firewire. USB would be a pain the fucking ass unless it was USB 2.0. Regular USB would take 10 hours to fill up.

- Kid Afrika - 05-27-2002

firewire is for pussies. rs232 is where it's at. :thumbs-up:

- Arpikarhu - 07-16-2002

any news on the ipod for pc?

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-16-2002

I'm waiting until the Macworld New York keynote tomorrow to see what they announce.

- Jack - 07-17-2002

Visit This Website

Ipod for PC will be official by the end of August. Also, the price is dropping 100. The 5GB model will be 299 and the 10GB model will be 399.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-17-2002

I want the 10 gig model because it's the same weight as the 5, comes with the wired remote, and a carrying case.

I might have to buy a different cable because I want to charge my iPod when it's connected to the PC.

- Arpikarhu - 07-21-2002

ordered mine today. it comes with music match software. i have used that with my archos jukebox and its not too bad. cant wait!

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-21-2002

Well hummer says that the Ephpod software is probably better than Musicmatch so check that out. I'm personally going to take a trip to the Mac store in SoHo soon to get one. Because I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for it.

- Arpikarhu - 07-21-2002

wont have them there til mid august. i just checked.

Edited By Arpikarhu on July 21 2002 at 4:44

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-21-2002

No, they have them there. I asked someone who went there the day it opened.

- Arpikarhu - 07-21-2002

i just called an hour ago. they said not for pc until mid-august.

- Keyser Soze - 07-21-2002

arpi, he's trying to say he has the warez version without coming right out and saying it, sheesh.

- Arpikarhu - 07-21-2002

Quote:arpi, he's trying to say he has the warez version without coming right out and saying it, sheesh.
dont go all LZ on me keyser.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-22-2002

All the pc version is musicmatch instead of itunes and a 6-pin to 4-pin converter cable. The difference is mostly software and the extra cable for people with the funky firewire ports. Mac version will work just fine.

- Hummercash - 07-22-2002

get the mac version... ephpod rox, musicmatch blows cock, fat32 sux. also, get either 10 or 20 gb version... 5 is just not enough (i know cuz i have it) ;p
time for me to sell it to my sister and get a bigger version Smile

I was using xPlay w/ my ipod during beta releases and it was ok, but when the put out the final release and charged $40 for it, i decided i would give ephpod a shot... and it FUCKING RULES!!!

just my $.02

.//chris

- AdolescentMasturbator - 08-03-2002

Ok, I just bought the 20 gig mac version at the Apple Store in SoHo. Holy shit it is the fucking best thing ever. Do not even think about another hard drive based player. They all suck compared to this.