CDIH
I broke my ps2 - Disc error - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: I broke my ps2 - Disc error (/showthread.php?tid=1967)

Pages: 1 2

- Skitchr4u - 05-30-2002

Last night in the middle of a movie, my ps2 decided to not read discs "silver" discs anymore. It will read a purple disc (madden 2k1 for example) but no silver bottomed disc like a dvd or other game. Anyone ever run into this problem? does anyone know what can be done to fix it? do i need to contact them? any help is greatly appreciated...and no, getting an xbox is not an option right now...

- Sephiroth - 05-30-2002

Most likey, the lens used to read the disc has become loose and shifted, so it cannot read the discs properly. It's a fairly common problem, so if you try to return it to Sony, you shouldnt get too much trouble. If you decide to take it somewhere else to be fixed, it shouldnt cost more than $20 to repair.

- Keyser Soze - 05-30-2002

I've noticed that I have no problems running games but it skips during watching DVDs from time to time, even brand new ones that can't possibly be dirty or scratched to the point it would skip. I suppose I have the same problem.

- Jack - 05-30-2002

[NELSON]HA HA[/NELSON]

- Danked - 05-30-2002

The only problems I've had with my ps2 is that my first volume of Cowboy Bebop doesn't play with the DVD player. I keep getting a disc read error. I don't know why this is because it works in all my other players and all other DVDs have worked in my ps2 so far. I'm supposed to be getting the rest of the volumes sometime this week in the mail so I'll see if it's something specific to the series of DVDs, but I hope not. I want to be able to sit comfortably on my couch to watch them, not at my computer. :-(

- Sephiroth - 05-30-2002

The problem with the DVD player function of the PS2 is this: It sucks as a DVD player. There are about 100-200 DVD's that simply will not play in the PS2 for one reason or another. The DVD/MPEG decoder card built into the PS2 was really meant to handle DVD-ROM PS2 games, the fact that it can play DVD movies is just a unintended bonus. As such, they really didnt pour alot of research and development into the DVD Player aspect as they really should have.

- Skitchr4u - 05-30-2002

thanks for the advice, i got off the phone with sony, and they will fix it free if i mail it to them...problem is that they will take 15-20 working days! that seems like an awful long time to be without it...

question, do you guys have yours sitting down, or vertically? could that be part of the problem, or part of why the problem happened?

- LZMF1 - 05-30-2002

DREs are the worst.........

you pop the disc in, you hear it spinning, you then hear that annoying sound as the red DISC READ ERROR screen pops up.

sometimes cleaning the lens works....

- Skitchr4u - 05-30-2002

can I clean the lens lz? or is that something a store or fixer person has to do?

- LZMF1 - 05-30-2002

i used to use the cheesey ones that you buy at a store. you know, the ones that look like a cd but have a few brushes on them.

if you're really adventurous you can open up your ps2 and clean the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. if you do try it, be sure to let the lens dry completely before closing the system back up.

- Sephiroth - 05-30-2002

Quote:if you're really adventurous you can open up your ps2 and clean the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. if you do try it, be sure to let the lens dry completely before closing the system back up.

PROTIP : You will void your warranty if you do this.

- LZMF1 - 05-30-2002

very true

- Skitchr4u - 05-30-2002

I will try the first idea lz, otherwise i will ship it off to mass for free fixing...i don't want to void my warranty and have them not pay for fixing it...its almost 2 years old, and this is the only problem i ever had with it...

- LZMF1 - 05-30-2002

ski, i'm on my 3rd ps2...

i treat them like gold but they always seem to find a way to fall apart.

- Skitchr4u - 05-30-2002

do you repurchase? or do they replace them for you? i can't see buying more than 1!! hell, i can't even afford to buy new games more than like 5 a year at the price they are now let alone a system every sixmonths!

- LZMF1 - 05-30-2002

lol!

repurchase.

i am a 30 year old kid.

- Skitchr4u - 05-30-2002

so am i!!! ok, 29 but still...i have more fun shit to buy too...sony told me that because i had it so long, they will replace it so that i stay with them (i guess a lot of people are switching to xbox)

is it true that the xbox is a sturdier machine...and the dvd is better?

- Weird NJ - 05-30-2002

Quote:if you're really adventurous you can open up your ps2 and clean the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. if you do try it, be sure to let the lens dry completely before closing the system back up.
Quote:ski, i'm on my 3rd ps2...

i treat them like gold but they always seem to find a way to fall apart.

Rolleyesuh huhRolleyes

- Sean Cold - 05-30-2002

No one help him, he broke it watching his long awaited copy of Harry Potter.

- Sephiroth - 05-30-2002

The DVD is better, but you have to buy a $30 DVD kit from them before you can play DVD's.