CDIH
Any worthwhile presidents again? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Any worthwhile presidents again? (/showthread.php?tid=2641)

- IkeaBoy - 07-20-2002

I was watching the Truman TV movie awhile ago and it got me thinking- does anyone think they'll ever be another serious presidential candidate again like we had in the past. I mean those leaders raised from humble origins who keep their humility during the job, someone of just good character who cares more about the country than money or fame. In addition, who was the last one?

- GonzoStyle - 07-20-2002

Bill Clinton damn it!!!!!

- Galt - 07-20-2002

The better question was who was the last one before Reagan.

Based on Ikea's definition, would it really be Kennedy, or would have to go back to Truman, Eisenhauer, the Roosevelts, or even James Garfield?

I think we will definately have another one. It's more charisma than anything else. Clinton probably could have been that if he wasn't so blatant about being a lying, letcherous, scumbag.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-20-2002

You know even though I'm so left wing I have to say John McCain was the best of the final four in 2000 (bradley, gore, bush, mccain). The man constantly goes aganist the party line and conservatives bash him constantly for it. Sure I don't admit with a lot of things he thinks but he's certainly better than what we got now.

A lying politician, nooooooooo.

Before Reagan, well Nixon could have been is he wasn't..... "so blatant about being a lying, letcherous, scumbag. "

Yes I would say Kennedy because he trully did want to change the world for the better. Go back to his inaguration speech, it's one of the greatest speeches ever.

Johnson also could have been if he was not sullied with Vietnam.

We sometimes fall in a rut. Bush is that rut, hopefully we will have a better candidate in 2004.

- Galt - 07-20-2002

I, once again agree with AM. McCain is probably the highest ranking politicion that would fit Ikea's bill.

JC Watts is a great one, Powell obviously, and someone who has always been consistent with his views from the left is Barney Frank. I obviously disagree with every word he says, but he's always been consistent.

McCain would be great only cause he doesn't play the game. But that's also why he can't make it.

- The Sleeper - 07-20-2002

Whenever I see Ralph Nader on TV, he seems like one of the few politicians who tells it like it is. I don't know about all of his policies, but his enviromental ones seem pretty revolutionary. He will never be president, but I think he is one of the few political figures that could really change things if he was elected to office.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 07-20-2002

If Nader was elected to office within 5 minutes some "scandal" would mysteriously occur.

- IkeaBoy - 07-20-2002

I agree with the McCain idea, the problem is they'll never give him the nomination simply because he fits the definition. I was thinking JFK might have been the last as well

- Galt - 07-20-2002

Nader tells it like he is convinced it is even if it's wrong. He's one of the guys like Frank on the other side from me. He's got integrity even if I disagree with everything he says. He proclaims to be an expert on business-excess and how corporations are run, but he's never spent a day in his life doing it. Just complaining about them.

I had this bookmarked figured if anyone was interested.

John F. Kennedy's Innagural Speech

It applies as well today as it did 41 years ago.

- onehung - 07-20-2002

Hopefully Charles Wood will run again. The guy had some great policy ideas. I don't know what they were, but he was funny as hell to watch on tv.

- OAS - 07-22-2002

Using Ikea's definition, you can't overlook Jimmy Carter. He was sincere, humble and came out of nowhere to win. He had simple roots and wasn't in it for the fame and money. To this day, he still spends most of his time as a servant to the people through Habitat for Humanity.

Kennedy doesn't fit Ikea's example. He came from a disgustingly rich family who thrives on politics and power. He wanted the presidency for power. He was determined to be the first Roman Catholic president. His greed and power and all that he stood for eventually put a bullet in the right front of his skull.

- Spitfire - 07-22-2002

Quote:He proclaims to be an expert on business-excess and how corporations are run, but he's never spent a day in his life doing it. Just complaining about them.
I don't think you have to be involved in something to be able to tell how fucked up it all is. Look what's going on when corporations run wild---Worldcom, Enron, etc. At least Nader would go to sale to the highest bidder, i.e. campaign financing from corporate lobbyists. He's a wacko, but someone with better intentions than anyone in Washington combined.

[Image: 0312284330.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]
Anyone read this yet? It's next on my list...
If your interested, here's the Green Party Platform

- Gooch - 07-22-2002

i don't like all of McCain's politics, and sometimes he's a livewire...but for a Republican, he ain't bad.